Steampunk Tesla Lamp - Finished

Re: Steampunk Tesla Lamp

Absolutely! No doubt. I looked into them and tried watching videos, but I never totally understood how they work and they seemed kind of expensive. But mostly because at this point I only know enough about electricity to wire a lamp anything more and I'd be dangerous.

I was going to look into getting one of the clock kits but I too am not sure once it gets here that I will know how to assemble it correctly and wire it up to use. :lol

Maybe the Lixies are a better option. Linky

Looking good! That bit housing your switch was a great find. Here's a piece I did for a show awhile back. About to start another similar piece as a commission.

15272283_10154194179556378_4485493918972517739_o.jpg

Q1: Are you really trying to have a tesla coils at the top? (might need some proper planning if so)

You can get some NIXIE stuff for a decent price if you look around.. (and not buy a pre-made kit that is usually a minimum of $100!!!)

Some tubes of your choice.. (maybe $4-6 USD each not including shipping fromm the Ukraine! lol)

An HV power supply (another $10.00 USD)

and some driver chips.. (couple bucks a piece)..

If you want it to be a clock, you would also need an RTC module (real time clock module) to be more accurate..

And an Arduino (another $5 USD tops)

Not -that- bad to make this prop even cooler/functional!

Side note:
https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=796594&d=1518989745

REALLY dig this display. The brass and wood make an excellent display for these nixie tubes!
(not your typical box/clock display)..

...Here's a piece I did for a show awhile back....

View attachment 797124

Yes. Nicely done. I particularly like the colander idea in principal and I've given something like that a lot of thought. My hangup is that no matter how I disguise it, I think people will almost immediately relate to it as a colander which might remove viewers from the mystery of whole piece. But they're just so perfect.

So this is what I'm using for Tesla Coils. I think it's a mounting ring for recessed lighting from the hardware store. Purely for exhibition.

You can also get lengths of threaded rod from the hardware store, which fit the screw mountings of the rings perfectly. I just stacked a few together and will mount to my bulb base.

Who donates old boot laces to the thrift store? I'd just throw them away. Oh well, my gain, because I found these in a thrift bin and I thought they looked like old appliance wires. The center lace core (in black in the photo) can be pulled out from the casing then I ran a wire through it.

I used the most roached out drawer pull I could find and ran the cloth covered wire from there the gears to imply a control function. Added a couple patina pieces on which I used my blackening agent.

I found this little piece from a box of Zoids model parts I bought at a flea market. I'm using a couple of them, which I weathered with model paints. I laid Testors Rust first, then stippled Model Master Burned Iron (with a plain old brush), then dry brushed with silver. You'll see it's purpose when I get to that part.

Where it stands today.

Last edited:

I'm sure that you've considered this option, but you could mount a couple of those cheap plasma globes on the top of your columns:
61kZoy2YYtL._SL1500_.jpg

You could relocate the electronics to the main box, for esthetics. It would be in keeping with the "Tesla" theme.

David

I'm sure that you've considered this option, but you could mount a couple of those cheap plasma globes on the top of your columns:

You have no idea how much I've considered this. The idea came too late to fit this project. Most of the small ones that would fit the top of the coils are battery operated. But I'll admit, I hadn't considered using them in that spot. My next project FOR SURE will be using an 8-incher with AC and I'll design everything else around it.

I love the ideas you guys are contributing. It's helping me and hopefully inspiring others.

I’m not a political or social activist at all, but I’m compelled to express how I’ve benefited immensely from other peoples generosity to donate and repurpose used items, not just for this project but for other art projects.

My home town of Fargo, like many communities, has a city driven Household Hazardous Waste program. It encourages people to safely dispose of common hazardous materials like old and unused lawn chemicals, motor oil, cleaners, acids, paints, poisons, etc.

But they also encourage reuse over disposal, so if a hazardous material is still useable (but maybe half empty) they set it out at their facility for anyone to take for free. The three or four wood stains I used for this project and other art projects were free from this program. Just sign your name, list your items and walk.

Many of the brass items came from the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, which accepts unused and recovered construction material. Sale of the items benefits Habitat for Humanity homes.

All the second-hand stores I shop at are funding sources for local humanity based non-profits, and it's where I bring everything I get rid of.

Donate your stuff. Let them decide if it’s junk (and so knuckleheads like me can make cool "found object" things).

https://images41.fotki.com/v1661/photos/8/3647518/14676844/recycle1461032986-vi.jpg

I’m not a political or social activist at all, but I’m compelled to express how I’ve benefited immensely from other peoples generosity to donate and repurpose used items, not just for this project but for other art projects.

My home town of Fargo, like many communities, has a city driven Household Hazardous Waste program. It encourages people to safely dispose of common hazardous materials like old and unused lawn chemicals, motor oil, cleaners, acids, paints, poisons, etc.

But they also encourage reuse over disposal, so if a hazardous material is still useable (but maybe half empty) they set it out at their facility for anyone to take for free. The three or four wood stains I used for this project and other art projects were free from this program. Just sign your name, list your items and walk.

Many of the brass items came from the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, which accepts unused and recovered construction material. Sale of the items benefits Habitat for Humanity homes.

All the second-hand stores I shop at are funding sources for local humanity based non-profits, and it's where I bring everything I get rid of.

Donate your stuff. Let them decide if it’s junk (and so knuckleheads like me can make cool "found object" things).

I think this is a great way to “fund” a project. This hobby can get pricey quick. If you can do it on the cheap, even better.

It's been a week but I've gotten a lot done and I'm stoked about how it's coming together...

I'm using stacked washers to fit into brass casings that were either lamp or fan parts. Washers have been blackened except for the brass one and the unit will look like the one at the top of the photo. I've also blackened the brightwork of the socket mount and browned the cardboard covering with a brown marker. Flicker bulb.

I'm using metal gutter screen (keeps leaves out of your gutter) to encase the flicker bulbs.

With great relief it all came together as well as I'd hoped. I want it to look a little scary, like "touch at your own risk."

I'm using pipes as a stem to hold a bent bracket strip which will suspend the flicker unit. Pipes and bracket are darker than they appear in the pic.

...And will come together thusly...

The flicker light is just for effect. The real luminosity will come from the edison bulbs which will sit atop PVC pipes. They're glued to heavy PVC flanges which were (poorly) painted with hammered metallic spray paint. Can't see any hammered effect. I used a shiny brass paint for the straight pipes, but it came out very copper. That's okay because at least it's a good copper.

I gave it some rusting with a two part rusting acrylic paint and weathered with pastels. I'm aware that some of the pastel will come off with handling but it won't all come off. A little handle smudging isn't interfering with the patina.

Another heavy PCV flange holds the bulb base, threaded rod and "coils." Pretty simple, just a few holes drilled and it all screws together.

The white plastic bulb base was painted bronze metallic and screwed into the base using existing holes.

The whole unit topped with caps. After I took this pic I broke it down and darkened all the galvanized metal.

Last edited:

Last night I got everything all assembled and all wiring connections made. Just one last step and that's the plug. I have a vintage plug head like this one, that I bought from an antique store for .50¢. But when push came to shove, I chickened out and would rather use a modern reproduction plug. Stores were closing when that decision was made so I hope to get it lit tonight and have some finished pictures tomorrow.

VintagePlug.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back