Ok...I WANT THIS!

I did some research about this guy's atat a while back (so you just have to take my word for it unless you want to find the information yourself) -- but the model is built from scratch, though I'm not sure if he did both the model himself and the mechanics, or had someone else do the model. He also was pretty dead set on not revealing how the mechanics work.

Here's a screen grab from a video of his model. You can see with the back leg, there is a wire going into the top of the leg. My guess is that it uses a chip to run different motors. It just doesn't seem like he did the typical gears and such powered by one motor.
Screenshot_20170907-004831[26845].png

Man, what the ILM guys would have given for a few of those things back in 1979 . . .

I would have looked for some kind of existing walking toy item to get the hardware. It might mean combining the front halves of two of them (to get four knees).

The scale of that finished AT-AT doesn't line up with any of the standard toys/model versions AFAIK. The sizing may be an indicator of the raw material hardware he used.

I did some research about this guy's atat a while back (so you just have to take my word for it unless you want to find the information yourself) -- but the model is built from scratch, though I'm not sure if he did both the model himself and the mechanics, or had someone else do the model. He also was pretty dead set on not revealing how the mechanics work.

Here's a screen grab from a video of his model. You can see with the back leg, there is a wire going into the top of the leg. My guess is that it uses a chip to run different motors. It just doesn't seem like he did the typical gears and such powered by one motor.
View attachment 786665
I bet Disney would make him talk! Lol

Totally forgot about Zoids!! That video doesn't have the one I had. It was a big-- either it was a T Rex or a Godzilla thing. Also had a little spider that was pretty cool.

The Zoids don't seem to have much articulation, they just move at the hips and drag the leg along. The AT-AT must have a separate motor at every joint, programmed to work in unison to mimic the stop motion movements.

From what I saw there’s one motor for each leg (not every joint)and theres a tiny cable that pulls the knee crating that illusion, very clever solution.
I don’t want t make one, I just want to get one!!!! :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back