Iron Man Mark 6

Ibzer275

Hey guys,

I've been working on the mark 6 and it's almost done. But I have a few questions the first being is it possible to paint the cardboard first then fibreglass it and if yes what type of paint is the best to use. Second question is how does everyone get their helmet on? Is it by the gap at the bottom or do you open it from the sides. And finally does anyone have a tutorial video on adding fibreglass to the armour.

Thanks

Ibzer275

I don't see why you would need/want to paint it first. I didn't use cardboard, but used card stock which has similar properties (it's thinner and slightly less absorbent than cardboard, but same concept). Basically, thin coat of resin (just the epoxy without the fiberglass) on the outside. Then fiberglass/resin on the inside. What I'm trying to say there, is that painting first is an unnecessary step if you're concerned about the resin interacting with the cardboard. It's not liquid enough to damage the cardboard. If you're looking to add color, not sure that would work as the resin will change the color once it soaks in. Plus you will probably need to do touchups to the finished surface.

Can't remember where I've seen a glassing video. But youtube has a bunch of them. I'd search iron man, fiberglass, helmet. Might have been x-robots. I was nervous as hell that I'd mess up, but it was actually pretty easy. And it was easier/less frustrating than the following steps which were many hours of bondo/sanding to get everything perfect.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
I made my helmet so that the jaw was attached with magnets and you could take it of easily. Check it out if you need inspiration. My head would have never fit through that bottom gap. I also saw many people taking of pieces on the back side of the helmet but why do that if it only adds another gap? I will use the same mechanism on my current built also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Search "iron man helmet build" on youtube. There is a 12 video series by a youtuber named Boogie Boy... he goes into deep detail about fiberglassing bondo, sanding and detail lines. I'm basing my build on his videos since he was so maticulous with the details

Thanks ntegra8d. The videos are great help.

Hey Cri7e any chance you could add a picture to show me where exactly the magnets were attached please

Last edited:
IMG_8146.JPGIMG-20130908-01369.jpgIMG_6196.JPGThis is what my mark 6 looks like now as i forgot to add photos. Both biceps and forearms have been completed and i'm currently working on another helmet and then ill start on the thighs. The picture of the faceplates is just to show which materials i used before settling with cardboard.

Hey guys,
its been a while but im almost finished just fiberglassing and painting left. I just wanted to ask which paint is everyone using for cardboard models, what would happen if i added fiberglass to the outside of the armor and finally how does attach put the fingers together?

*One last thing is it possible to sit in the armor once its finished or do i have to stand up all day?

Last edited:
Hey guys,
its been a while but im almost finished just fiberglassing and painting left. I just wanted to ask which paint is everyone using for cardboard models, what would happen if i added fiberglass to the outside of the armor and finally how does attach put the fingers together?

*One last thing is it possible to sit in the armor once its finished or do i have to stand up all day?

I believe everybody uses carpaint for their builds. I can imagine that if you fibreglass the outside you will lose a significant amount of detail.You might want to fibreglass the inside and resin the outside, from there you just add bondo or any other filler and after sanding the living ***** out of it you just have to paint it.

I think you could try to sit but it will probably break yo azz

Good luck with your build!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back