Guns, How real is too real?

8bitAlex

Hello, this is my first post so forgive me if I'm breaking some sort of rule. I'm making a Red Hood costume and he typically carries two regular looking pistols. I'm going to 3D print the pistols and I found this beautiful Glock file but the problem is that the model is incredibly detailed and would probably function as a real weapon with some (major) modifications. I plan on painting the barrel and other parts orange to stay within the law but I'm still hesitant on creating something that might be seen as a real weapon. Not that my skills are that great as to people thinking it's that real but the point remains valid. How real is too real that it becomes impossible to use outside?

I feel like nowadays it's not even worth the risk. Orange tips are great but they may not be visible holstered. In the comics the Red Hood had some kick ass red metallic pistols for a brief period so you could go that route

If youre going to cons (or any event really) there isn't much point to guns anymore. Most of them are banning even extremely fake looking ones. I troop as a stormtrooper and the regular E11 is not allowed much anymore. And even if it is you have to keep it holstered. Orange tip of not. It doesn't matter. I'm not really for or against it. I've come to accept that if it helps others at cons feel safer and have fun then I don't care. Although I'm against alarmist type activities too. But it is what it is. Print whatever gun you want. But know there is a better than average chance you can't take it with you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The question is where are you going? In the US most states it's perfectly legal to open carry a real weapon even if it's loaded (Carry not brandish). Unloaded it's legal even more places. Not saying it's a good idea for cosplay, just that it's probably legal. Regardless of legality for carrying, even with a fake un-realistic gun, be aware of where you are and who's around. Cops have found more than a handful of real guns which have been painted with an orange tip or even painted so as to replicate a dollar store Nerf gun, so absolutely respect any requests from even the cheapest looking security guard, or if in the US even a citizen as they could be scared of you and armed which is a bad combination.

To directly answer your question, if it's going to go to a con, their rules ought to be sufficient. If you're going to a party/photo shoot in public, just check on local weapons/replica weapons ordinances and be careful what you're doing with them and where. Understand you have more flexibility when in costume and around others dressed likewise. (random citizen isn't going to freak when they see a stormtrooper shooting at a wookie) I'd say you're perfectly fine with the printed Glock so long as you're not at a con and keep it holstered aside from obvious photos. (despite being fake, following real proper gun safety will help stave off problems)

Regardless of what replica weapon you may use, always be aware of others who could perceive it as real, especially law enforcement, and go out of your way to keep them from feeling threatened.

+1 on the security story.
Just skip on the trigger and other vital parts that would make it look functional,and perhaps even custom paint it.

Nowadays, criminals have resorted to put orange tip on their barrels, or paint their real weapons red, orange or yellow (ask your local Police Officer about the trend) so when an Officer sees the gun, they might think it's a fake:angry Check your local laws and speak to your local Police station to make sure you're respecting the rules to a T.

I feel like nowadays it's not even worth the risk. Orange tips are great but they may not be visible holstered. In the comics the Red Hood had some kick ass red metallic pistols for a brief period so you could go that route

Thank you everyone for the replies. That's a good idea keeps the to paint some of it red though keeps the immersion.

As a military man myself I know how stressful it can be for a police officer to try to identify a weapon. Based on your stories I'm considering now just printing the rear of the weapon and securing it to the holster so there is no chance it can be seen as a real weapon when drawn. At least for the cons that allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the nerf mega "magnus" pistols. They look a lot like Red Hood's pistols already, and while some cons will not allow nerf guns, some will.

megamagnus.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back