ESB Luke Saber Accuracy?

neihofft

Now I'm not really looking to open the giant can of worms of "screws vs rivets." I've read enough threads to know that that is the greatest mystery of all time.

However. I have a graflex 2.0 (pictured) while I have made some mods since the time of this picture (romans red buttons, razor blade plug, Roys clamp card, d-ring in place, and changing some of the hex screws in places) In fact, its quite infuriating how much more I have spent on this thing since I bought it to make tiny accuracy changes.

Is it safe to assume that this saber definitely shouldnt have hex screws on the grips? Sure they look close enough to a rivet so thats cool I guess, but would I be better off going to get some phillips head screws from Lowes, or keeping these hex screws?

**Bonus Question** Is it worth the trouble to not use these Parks grips, and get Roys from Wanna Wanga? (Note, Vader is all Wanna Wanga conversion parts)
IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0434.JPG

You're never going to get a straight answers. I personally did black screws, but then skuffed them to show a bit of silver. That, to me, could represent everything glimpsed onscreen.

You're never going to get a straight answers. I personally did black screws, but then skuffed them to show a bit of silver. That, to me, could represent everything glimpsed onscreen.

I did the same thing.
Used Aliminum black to blacken the screws then lightly scuffed it with fine steel wool.

For an ESB saber, it's definitely worth getting some grips from Roy. Not to derail, but what did you use for the basis of your Vader saber? Looks good next to that Graflex 2.0.

I think a good healthy question is what are you looking for? IN universe, or earthly movie prop? the lack of obvious fasteners like phillips heads can give the saber a fantasy look. I use screws because they're on the only graflex still together in the archives.

MCM Thanks for the input (from everyone) I'll be ordering Roys in a moment. Something just seems off about the Parks grips, compared to my Vader ones which are Roys. Much smoother.

The Vader is a Parks MPP which came more ANH style, but I stripped it of everything but the clamp, and used Roys ESB conversion kit. I couldnt be any more happy with the saber itself, but it took parks 10 f*king months to get to me, even though it was "in stock".

Last edited by a moderator:
thd9791 I suppose mine is more of an idealized version of the ESB hero, since there is so much debate about it. I put some phillips heads on instead of the hex screws, and I do like the look. So I will probably stick with that. I also dont care to have the graflex stamp on the pommel (mine didnt come with one anyway), but mine arrived with sound holes in it. So I covered it up with a metal plate so its just blank, like a real lightsaber would be.

neihofft How did you remove the Microflash label off the Parks MPP without scratching the finish???

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

SithSim Carefully drimmel the heads off of the pins and it pops off easy. I almost wouldnt have minded some extra wear from damage though.

@SithSim Carefully drimmel the heads off of the pins and it pops off easy. I almost wouldnt have minded some extra wear from damage though.
Thank you for the info, I'll give it a try this weekend. And have you seen the MPP 2.0??? There was also a DV6(Vader's saber from ROTJ) in the run as well and a few other sabers.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Roys grips are cheaper than mine but not as accurate.

Yep Roy's and even Todds Costumes grips aren't as thin as Gino's.

Here's a question - the track on Boba Fett's rifle is asymmetrical. can you confirm if the SRS saber was also asymmetrical Gino? Just curious, I know its a product of old manufacturing and less precision :)
FettTrack2.jpg

I was also far more impressed with the way Roy's grips were packaged when shipped to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back