Graflex conversion - Where is the best place to buy accurate parts?

MPAII

Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to gather all the parts I need for a Graflex replica conversion to ESB. I'm getting the replica from graflexshop.com

So far I have only found 2 kits-
http://romanprops.com/product/conversion-kit-v/

http://wannawanga.com/products/luke-esb-complete-set/

But I haven't found any independent commentary on their accuracy. What do you guys think? Are there better places to buy more accurate parts, even if it's individually?

I noticed that you have to manually cut the ESB grooves into the Wannawanga T-Tracks. I'd prefer to have them precut if possible.

I'd also prefer the textured tape - planning to get it from TCSS.

Thanks!

Also, will I need a vintage equivalent of this? Where could I find one?
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/88-OD-Heatsink-module-with-center-hole-P1138.aspx

Most of the various blade holders out there for vintage Graflex flash units do not use a separate LED/Heat sink module. Instead, they are built into the blade holder itself. Solo's Hold, The Graflex Shop and The Custom Saber Shop Graflex blade holders all have the heat sink built in. KR Sabers Graflex blade holder uses any 1" dia. LED/Heat sink module. Several vendors offer those modules including Solo's Hold and TCSS. The Solo's hold Graflex blade holder takes 7/8" dia. blades and is pretty much designed for only a tri-Cree/tri-Rebel LED with an 18 degree lens. The rest of the blade holders take 1" dia. blades. Screen accuracy differs on all them with the Solo's Hold version being, IMHO, the most screen accurate. I hope that helps.

Thanks that helps!

So basically what you are saying is that only solo's hold blade holder will take 7/8" blade, everything else on the market is 1"?

What is more screen accurate about the solo's hold blade holder? I find it hard to see a difference haha - Why is the solo's hold version $105 and TGS deluxe version only $40?

Do they come with a blade plug or do I need to get one separately?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to gather all the parts I need for a Graflex replica conversion to ESB. I'm getting the replica from graflexshop.com

So far I have only found 2 kits-
http://romanprops.com/product/conversion-kit-v/

http://wannawanga.com/products/luke-esb-complete-set/

But I haven't found any independent commentary on their accuracy. What do you guys think? Are there better places to buy more accurate parts, even if it's individually?

I noticed that you have to manually cut the ESB grooves into the Wannawanga T-Tracks. I'd prefer to have them precut if possible.

I'd also prefer the textured tape - planning to get it from TCSS.

Thanks!

Hello MPAII,

I will take your general questions at face value and help as best I can.

There is actually a thread here on our blade holder... gotta love the search function...

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=262871&highlight=graflex+blade+adapter

" NOTE: Aaron needs to edit that thread still. this blade adapter is not recommended to use with a Roman's Replica.

Take a look at some pics, watch the amazingly well done video I made, and read what some guys are posting. After that you should easily be able to tell what makes our blade holder different from the rest and answer a few other questions you have as well. There is even an independent review there on page two. Take a look. If you are still struggling after that, I would recommend reading around some more and searching the forum, there is a wealth of knowledge around here and other places on the internet about this stuff.

In your search for screen accuracy , Now would probably be a good time to tell you that the mylar textured tape you want to use on the clamp is not accurate on any of the screen used versions of the Graflex and in fact only used on the Skywalker ranch saber. You want to use the smooth thin strip to make it ESB accurate. Hope this helps.

-Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply!

I know it probably seems like I haven't done my research/used the search function, but I've actually read a lot of threads and watched a lot of videos (including yours, several times!) I'm definitely still far from well-read on the subject, but I don't want to come across as lazy!

The issue I'm finding is that there is too much information available, and there seems to be very few common opinions. When there is a common opinion, it's usually outdated, and said product is no longer in stock, or has been outdone by another product since. That's why I was looking for some new opinions.

I'm still debating whether to go for exact screen accuracy, or what I think looks best while still trying to keep the components that I like best as accurate as possible. Sorry if that's a confusing sentence!

To me, the textured tape looks a lot better, but there is a part of me that does want to go for screen accuracy.

I might wait until the TGS replica comes out before buying a blade adapter, as to avoid any potential issues like what we're seeing with the Romans'.

Romans graflex, from the last run,nothing else except real stuff.
Wannawanga kit, very good for the price, and the D ring is accurate, I can tell it because I helped on the design.
then,
The solo's hold blade holder, even it's expensive, its really accurate, just the holder, chassis is not needed.

Last edited:
I'm just learning myself and trying to absorb info on this thread.

Where can one aquire a reasonably cost Graflex flash handle? Ones I see on Ebay are upwards of $900!

Any lower cost alternatives?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Romans graflex, from the last run,nothing else except real stuff.
Wannawanga kit, very good for the price, and the D ring is accurate, I can tell it because I helped on the design.
then,
The solo's hold blade holder, even it's expensive, its really accurate, just the holder, chassis is not needed.

Thanks for the shot out,while it lines up perfectly with a Vintage Graflex flash, I can't say the same for the Roman's replica. There are slight inaccuracies in his which make our blade adapter unsightly due to this, we are all pretty bummed about this and many people are happy. A disclaimer has been noted when purchasing these from us.

Vintage left, Roman's right.

B822B62F-15D8-4F9C-8AA3-D8E465393789.jpg

I would like to add Roman's told me he is looking into doing his own blade adapter.

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply!

I know it probably seems like I haven't done my research/used the search function, but I've actually read a lot of threads and watched a lot of videos (including yours, several times!) I'm definitely still far from well-read on the subject, but I don't want to come across as lazy!

The issue I'm finding is that there is too much information available, and there seems to be very few common opinions. When there is a common opinion, it's usually outdated, and said product is no longer in stock, or has been outdone by another product since. That's why I was looking for some new opinions.

I'm still debating whether to go for exact screen accuracy, or what I think looks best while still trying to keep the components that I like best as accurate as possible. Sorry if that's a confusing sentence!

To me, the textured tape looks a lot better, but there is a part of me that does want to go for screen accuracy.

I might wait until the TGS replica comes out before buying a blade adapter, as to avoid any potential issues like what we're seeing with the Romans'.

Ok, I assume you might not have seen it since you said you did not know why it is different than other adapters like TGS, if it came with a blade plug ( it comes with machined replica aluminum parts), but not a piece of polycarbonate. which would just be taken from left overs after you make your blade. You also scoffed at the price. It's a 4 piece product and not the simplest part to machine.

Keep on hunting and make your Graflex your own I say.

You also scoffed at the price.

I didn't scoff at the price, I just asked why there is such a huge variation in price.

The TGS is also anodized aluminium according to their website, not polycarbonate.
I think you're right that the price is fair considering you had to make it 4 pieces to be more accurate than the TGS version.

Maybe one day someone will produce what we could call a exact replica of the graflex?
It's same with old guns, even makers would have the real stuff in hands, no one made accurate replica.
So, maybe use a parks graflex, romans clamp, and wannawanga kit?
I don't remember if parks and real bulb holders can be switched on graflex, it's possible on mpp's from what I remember.
I switched both types, but it was 3 years ago, just for fun, I don't remember if it worked.

Last edited:
ObiShane , that's a very interesting side by side photo ya got there! It looks like the Roman's arc is off, so that explains part of why there's a gap, but why is the forward section able to shift that 1/16th inch out of alignment?

Last edited by a moderator:
MPAII , though I aplaud TheGraflexShop for omitting the GRAFLEX engraving from both their clamp and their bottom section, their clamp needs some serious retooling. There should not be any gap between the clamp and the clamp bars. Roman's clamp is better in that regard, but still lacks the edge crispness of the original clamps at the smallest bends where the clamp card is held. Where the originals are squared off, the Roman's are rounded. One of those special 'tells' I assume to let collectors verify the authenticity of original parts, though I wish they would have made that part more accurate and omttied the GRAFLEX engraving instead.

Good Luck with your build!

@ObiShane , that's a very interesting side by side photo ya got there! It looks like the Roman's arc is off, so that explains part of why there's a gap, but why is the forward section able to shift that 1/16th inch out of alignment?

The arc is fine, however the holes punched into the flash for the brass pin pockets are off. Is that what you are referring to?

The arc is fine, however the holes punched into the flash for the brass pin pockets are off. Is that what you are referring to?

Ahh, I see it from your point of view now too. But no, I was thinking two things based on that photo: 1. The arc IS off on the Roman's flash tube, see the way the overhang lip has more of a gap between it and the blade holder? It's too thin there too between the lip and the sync pocket (which is in part due to your assessment that the hole is punched incorrectly).

And 2. That there was something wrong with the blade holder that allows the two halves to rotate out of alignment. It shows the misalignment more clearly in the Roman's tube where you can see that the corners of the hole's half circles don't meet up.

Even if the hole was punched in the correct location, the gap would remain between the arc of the tube and the overhang of the lip because the arc is slightly off. But that doesn't explain the shifting of the blade holder sections.

It'd be neat to see a comparison photo of a traced arc on a dowel that had been inserted in both an original and the Roman's tubes at the same depth from the very tip of the tube. Maybe one arc traced in red ink and the other in blue so that we could see how close or how off they are to one another in the different sections of the curves.

@MPAII , though I aplaud TheGraflexShop for omitting the GRAFLEX engraving from both their clamp and their bottom section, their clamp needs some serious retooling. There should not be any gap between the clamp and the clamp and the clamp bars

Thanks for your input!
TGS actually has the option to include the grafted stamp on the clamp and the bottom section though, which is what I chose so that it would. Be more authentic.

How do you know about that issue with the clamp? No one has even seen photos of it yet- the ones on their Facebook page are outdated, and you can't see the clamp in any detail anyway.

sorry if I sound like a TGS advertisement haha!

Nothing secret or special about it, the photos I've seen are the two here on their clamp page. Whether they're old photos or not I have no idea, those are what they're currently showing however so that's what we have to go on...

https://www.graflexshop.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=51

https://www.graflexshop.com/cart/image/cache/catalog/clamp1-500x500.jpg
https://www.graflexshop.com/cart/image/cache/catalog/clamp3-500x500.jpg

Either the bars are too small, or the clamp is improperly bent.

I hadn't caught the optional stamping! I was too busy inspecting the photos to see how accurate they were able to make it.

Hopefully they'll be able to correct the bends before they begin production.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back