Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

I know this isn't an autographed X-1 or a mini 20" X-1, but, I've been fooling around with this for a couple of years now, all of it was custom made/embroidered except the vintage Harley stuff.

I don't know, BB. I'd say this ranks right up there on the awesome scale. Way to take the bike project to the next level. Patches look awesome, bud. My advice, steer clear of misplaced billboards. They can give you one heck-of-a headache and cause nasty nightmares of bicycle mutilation. -- BB

For the guys that found the original mud flaps - how / where did you find them? I have a collection of eBay searches I check every day, and I just realized I've been watching my mud flap search for several years now with no luck (although I have sifted through ten million similar flaps in the process). I believe the actual name on the packaging is 'bicycle fender flaps', although I tried to make my search catch variations of that (bike vs bicycle, fender vs mud flaps, etc). Any tips other than waiting? Did anyone figure out the manufacturer?

I did buy a couple sets of replicas already. Just on the lookout for an original set in case they ever pop up.

I did have a chance over the holidays to do a little work on the bike. I managed to assemble and install the chain guard, generator/siren, button box, tank, and streamers. I have also started making the support strut for the saddlebags and have a good start on the fishbone insert. I feel like it may actually come together in the next couple of months.
progress1.jpgprogress2.jpgprogress3.jpg

I feel like it may actually come together in the next couple of months.

Dang, PWF: It's looking super nice. So ... just the frame insert and fiberglass pieces left to add? If so, you are closing in on it, guy. Taking your time and doing right is paying off. Mine's been done for a year of two now and looking at it still brings me great joy. I love my bike. All the time and money was worth it just to own "the best bike in the whole world". Good to see some new progress pics. Keep it going. -- BB

Dang, PWF: It's looking super nice. So ... just the frame insert and fiberglass pieces left to add? If so, you are closing in on it, guy. Taking your time and doing right is paying off. Mine's been done for a year of two now and looking at it still brings me great joy. I love my bike. All the time and money was worth it just to own "the best bike in the whole world". Good to see some new progress pics. Keep it going. -- BB

Thanks. Yep, just down to the frame insert and mounting the bags. I did make progress on the frame insert over the last couple of days. I used 1/4" x 1/2" aluminum strips, bent them and then cut them. They polished up pretty well. Better than chrome tape I guess. Although, I must say, the chrome tape is growing on me. I actually think the bikes with the chrome tape look more authentic.

WP_20180109_21_25_06_Pro[1].jpg

I actually think the bikes with the chrome tape look more authentic.

Agree about the chrome tape, PWF. It just depends what a person wants ... a replica of the actual prop bike or a reproduction of the illusion of the bike that appears on film. I went with the later but mad respect for either approach and anyone who completes this build. Anxious to see yours finished. Bet you are too. You're almost there. -- BJ

PS: Your lion head siren repros look awesome. Very nicely done.

20180107130745_IMG_0080.JPG20180110_110445.jpg20180109_141705.jpg
20180113_171438.jpg

Getting those bags done. I finally found the 4 inch mirror for 5 dollars and I got the glass fixed for am additional 5
Only thing I need to do is figure out how to weld the siren to the bracket that goes on the wheel. Also, I need to make the tank badges and still the holes into the tank for the buttons.
But either way I love riding it. I just took it out last week to a vintage bicycle ride at the beach with ruddiger

Well it's been a while since I've posted, 2 years by now I suspect. I still have my bike, it's current condition however is not what I wanted for it. A while after I stopped posting I had begun on other projects and I began studying automotive engineering and music, I still rode the bike everyday after but leaving it on my porch everyday led to some major issues. People began noticing it and taking a liking to come and grab at it. At one point someone tried to steal my tiger siren off the handlebars, I chased them off but sadly I was left with this:
20180121_144941.jpg20180121_144954.jpg20180121_145047.jpg

I became so disheartened that I left the bike in my garage, I haven't found the time to touch it since, recently however I was browsing through the thread for pictures to show to some friends and I've become more motivated to finish it now. It's going to be a side project as I have this and my AE86 to work on, hope to post more updates soon.

Hey Dalek, welcome back,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune,
I'm glad you haven't given up on it though,
good news is Peeweefan has tiger sirens to replace the damaged one,
it's a shame A-holes can't respect other peoples property,
hope you have better luck from now on,
keep us posted

Thanks billy, glad to see you're still around as well. My first step is to try and fix what's been damaged, I've very carefully sanded down the breaks in the resin and used a thin viscosity glue to try and "weld" the plastic together as it melts the resin enough to make it stick:
20180121_155028.jpg20180121_155036.jpg20180121_155049.jpg

My next step is to pull the bike out of the garage and start doing maintenance to get it, at the least, back out on the road. I've decided to start balancing project money so every other week it's the bike and then my car that way I can keep up with both in a timely manner.

What a bunch of savages! Our house flooded last year, so I didn't get anything done project-wise (and am still putting everything back together). Luckily nothing that mattered got damaged. The first thing I did though was move my clown to safety :lol

I did manage to get the support made for my saddlebags. It turned out better than I thought considering the tools I had to use. I have decided to use wingnuts to hold the bags on instead of the keyhole fasteners. Still trying to figure out exactly how I am going to do the center console. When spring break rolls around, I hope to find time to get the bags actually mounted and the skirts on. It's unbelievable how much time all this takes!

saddlebag_support.jpg

I know this has been talked about before. Can someone tell me which Mickey bell was correct? Is it the all green or the yellow shirt one? Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back