Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I don't mean to pile on but it's very bizarre that the Federation ship feel more like a Klingon vessel than the Klingon vessel does. Aside from the iconic shapes of the communicator, phaser and tricorder, everything else feels like it comes from the "throw it in a blender and see what we get" school of design.

View attachment 745682

Ao the bridge area looks like a round ball in the center of that primary hull. The Shenzhou actually looks more like a descendant of the NX-01, that's the last ok they should have used and maybe but some bussard collectors on the front of the nacelles to bridge the gap to the NCC-1701.

The Shenzou could almost pass for FC/Nemesis era, except for the nacelles which are more ENT era. Props aside, very little here fits the prime universe timeline. Everything about the Klingons is unrecognizable. I'm fine with them updating the designs, but this complete disregard is an insult to the franchise.

At this point, I actually hope the writing is as bad as the designs, because I don't want to have to endure seeing this stuff on screen for the sake of a half decent show buried under it all. :facepalm

The Klingon stuff just reeks of over-design. I absolutely hate the modern trend of "the more crap you stick in there, the better it will look". It's common with a lot of inexperienced designers who have not learned to make things look functional and practical, even if it's supposed to be exotic. "MORE BUCKLES! MORE STRAPS! MORE LINKS, RIDGES and PANEL LINES! YEAAARRRGHHH!" It's rampant in the games industry as well. The last time I saw one of Bay's Transformers movies, I lost track of who was who during the battles because it all looked like millions of pieces of junk metal just flying around...

Edit... this video, while about the old Heroquest boardgame, pretty much illustrates the problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
What in the name of Roddenberry is that Klingon ship? It's like someone looked a ST:Nemesis and said, "Hey, I want the Reman designs, but even more pointy and jagged!"
And going back to the costumes: yeah it was totally the busty ladies with tentacles, and the spinal chord motif that had me thinking HRG. I mean, those ladies are pretty much xenomorphs!
Who the heck decided that suddenly all the Klingon stuff is made of bones and claws? And that supposed Bat’leth? Which ever way you hold that, you'll have sharp points aimed at yourself! :facepalm At least the original was designed to be practical, there was a whole martial-arts movement style behind it, part sword, part shield.

Whelp, two words that explain the horrible Klingon design. glenn hetrick
The Klingon weapons may be worse than the outfits?
See! This is why you don't have costume designers create your weapons.

I noticed that they keep specifying that these were "House of T’Kuvma" uniforms. That gives me hope that not all Klingons will be dressed like this.

The problem with making so many changes to the design is that it erases any reason they had for setting it pre ToS to begin with.

Originally, I didn't agree with that decision, but I could at least understand it: The upside is you can capitalize on some nostalgia and also explore some of the "trek lore" such as to tell the story of meeting Klingons and that war. The downside being that you're boxed in by already knowing what happens, and limited on what can be discovered and when.

But if they aren't the same Klingons then there's no point. This isn't the story of how they met the Klingons we know. It's just the story of how they met a race with the same name that's different. In that case you completely erase all the upside of being pre ToS but still keep all of the downsides.

Not to mention all the changes to the federation. One of the problems Enterprise had was trying to retrofit aliens onto the crew. They solved it by having both T'pol and the Doctor be exchange officers and not actual Federation. This is largely because ToS made it clear that non humans still weren't all that common on Federation ships in that time period, and I think actually said Spock was the first Vulcan, in spite of them being Earths first ally.

It's keeping all of the downsides of setting it pre ToS, but one by one erasing all of the potential upsides. At this point I don't see any advantage at all to setting it when they did.

Another thought on comm design....

Another reason to NOT have a screen on a comm,..... what do you see today everywhere you are in public?
Heads DOWN looking at screens oblivious to the outside world, even step in front of a train.

So no screens on the comm means your head will be UP and keeping aware of your surroundings on missions!
Yep. TOS had reasoned it out!

I don't mean to pile on but it's very bizarre that the Federation ship feel more like a Klingon vessel than the Klingon vessel does. Aside from the iconic shapes of the communicator, phaser and tricorder, everything else feels like it comes from the "throw it in a blender and see what we get" school of design.

View attachment 745682

That's because large important chunks are based on an assortment of rejected concept-art from prior Trek projects. Most notably the Discovery ship design and the Klingon's look.

Also, I am not a big fan of how detailed and convoluted everything looks either. Those Klingon costumes are ridiculous, as is just about everything else concerning these Klingons. That Sarcophagus ship is just nauseating.

Who thought any of this should be on screen?

Different angles of the phasers:
IMG_0393.JPGIMG_0396.JPG

Rank Pips on the Starfleet badges:
IMG_0394.JPGIMG_0395.JPG

Someone, how had the "glorious idea" coming up to make up again a failed retro/prequel-series of Trek and though: "HEY! Maybe we can look back at the old concepts that was dumped and see how that works and mishmash some designs of different TRek to see what sticks…", instead of thinking about new ideas, which takes more time and way more work to do…

That's because large important chunks are based on an assortment of rejected concept-art from prior Trek projects. Most notably the Discovery ship design and the Klingon's look.

Also, I am not a big fan of how detailed and convoluted everything looks either. Those Klingon costumes are ridiculous, as is just about everything else concerning these Klingons. That Sarcophagus ship is just nauseating.

Different angles of the phasers:
View attachment 745719View attachment 745720

Rank Pips on the Starfleet badges:
View attachment 745721View attachment 745722

Nothing… absolutely nothing screams "elegance" in the Phaser… the triple emitter, is a no I get it, but as I mentioned the mash-up kit/bashing/reminiscing of different are Phasers makes it look like a ST V and a ST II Phaser deceided to gangabang a TOS Phaser, which ******* child is this…

- - - Updated - - -

Someone, how had the "glorious idea" coming up to make up again a failed retro/prequel-series of Trek and though: "HEY! Maybe we can look back at the old concepts that was dumped and see how that works and mishmash some designs of different TRek to see what sticks…", instead of thinking about new ideas, which takes more time and way more work to do…

Nothing… absolutely nothing screams "elegance" in the Phaser… the triple emitter, is a no I get it, but as I mentioned the mash-up kit/bashing/reminiscing of different are rhasers makes it look like a ST V and a ST II rhaser decided to gangabang a TOS rhaser, which ******* child is this…

The phaser is more of a cross between the TOS phaser and the ones seen in The Cage, the triple emitter is straight off the ones from The Cage and I, for one, like it. It actually fits the era, it looks like a transitional weapon, something that's more advanced than what we saw in The Cage but not quite as advanced as what we see in TOS.

Yeah, it's really lazy. They should have realized that these designs were rejected for good reasons.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back