Luke ROTJ V2 saber build

MadCowRebel

Hi all. Am still very new to the forum but have been an admirer for years.

Anyways, I am looking to semi scratchbuild my own V2 saber from aluminum on a lathe and though I have gathered a ton of info from various sources there is still a lot I don't know about the saber. so If you could lend a hand:

-knurled knob demensions
-accurate pommel seller
-accurate V2 plans NOT hero plans

If I can get the answer to these at least I will have a presentable saber when completed. much appreciated!

I have these hero plans that I used to mock up a wooden model luke_ep6_hero1.jpg IMG_20180829_1506472.jpg the rings are large just because of the machinability of the wood

IMG_20180829_1506472.jpg

luke_ep6_hero1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since no one replied, I'm going to build all on my lonesome. Accurate or not. Come along for the ride, it's free.

ROTJ V2 Lightsaber project

So I wanted to make one of my all time favorite Lightsabers: The mysteriously majestic V2 stunt lightsaber wielded by both the late great Sir.Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi in ANH and master actor Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker in ROTJ. Long time lovers of this saber will have known this already, but if you are coming into this cold, you’re welcome.
To begin I scoured the internet for info. My efforts were rewarded with some of the saber’s history, a better understanding of the components and how it was made and this incredible photo of the real deal:
hFEitqbM2DbFi8QzTBLTQLUeJbU3vMVbSqtxTkIYZ1QSFaWNdgqMi51LrxK3b3evzsF6AW5VfQvPucXGW0OejbT3HlvFPWmC.png

While that is some significant info, the information I was truly seeking, hoping in vain for, were some decently close plans for the wretched thing. The only plans I found that were plain enough to work with were plans for the hero prop. Maybe they are some plans out there, somewhere, hidden from mortal eyes, but after searching in vain at 2:00 in the morning, through bloodshot eyes I deemed these plans “close enough” and crawled back to bed.

- - - Updated - - -

82E11j_H95MFOpvsJwWNN82M4Za2GrSVEcP6jmWdmr365pJ6vAWYbFfgZ33hqb_Yhtc96Zs0lIvteoJmz2yfufJAboAdFe5r.png

I set out to use these plans which are supposedly taken from a resin copy of the ROTJ luke Hero saber (which would explain the slightly shrunken dimensions) and quickly found more than a few problems with them. Such as: missing dimensions, inaccurate dimensions and missing details. But they’re all I have to work with, so, here we go.

B05zbX0XTs-E4_9rpsjzgab-JBNCrK9enfBQNIv502jJmfPo6YPq_4l-Qjb8ObvKjWZtrHnuzcq34c8MFUMwWgBER_WOg5rf.png
The first concrete step I took (after hours of researching) was to model the saber in Onshape 3D modelling program in attempt to adapt the plans for the V2 and not the Hero, to adjust dimensions and make a more suitable set of plans for turning. Notice the pommel groves are not modeled as this is for lathing operations only* A lot of this was educated guess work and is “pretty close” I think to the actual photo.

- - - Updated - - -

HHs4L7-umYSin4-uuDHMTZFnMFz2zjofpkgsPHNXX6b8VAWwwi4wZLLMGW8pXb62ThU9e1XDrzzuEYxC1nVIIvCfBVNPLOpi.jpg

I then converted my Onshape model into a drawing using the in software converter. If anyone wants to use my drawing bear in mind they are probably 70% screen accurate* other than that, all power to you.

Now, This is where the fun begins.

Can't believe nobody has posted on this yet.. I am no saber expert but I can't wait to see this unfold.

Last edited:
yeah, I was pretty disappointed. oh well. I have since noticed that the "grenade" section is too small in diameter and a bit lengthwise, so I will gestimate that if nobody can help me out with it.

IMG_20181004_0949341.jpgIMG_20181004_0952086.jpgIMG_20181004_1011257.jpg Now the tool dulling has begun and I'm making chips. I am planing to use a grover as much as possible for the harsh 90s on the saber but I will need to use a parting tool to finish them.

This is really neat - I think there are 3-4 V2 projects going on at once, that may be why this got passed over.

I do want to note, you may struggle if you work off the Hero dimensions. The ROTJ Hero is completely different than the ANH stunt sabers in almost every aspect

As I've heard from you in passing before (thanks again) and after struggling with them for days now, I've just used them as a starting point. The Drawings I made are crap, so I'm in the midst of making a new set of plans. Stay tuned...

Attachments

• V2 Saber Model MK3.JPG
    V2 Saber Model MK3.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
The “hero” plans I’ve written off; and have started a New Onshape model using These “Dan” plans I found by chance on the RPF. Mostly I’m guessing because, once again these have next to no dimensions. But it’s the most accurate drawing of the saber minus the numbers.
HRY9Fje0azgs7OG5fDk8wcBd3V7oj36-It4V8CN7PWYoCXHefWliijmtbDRa18DGedkM1sRXxz0VKCVhrx3_I3tMVlOcRKo-.jpg

And WannaWanga sells these as very nice posters in thier print shop. So another plus

8-NEPwWbJfBmTzJzHtpfnJ3i_OwlCU_xwPR3BAe6hq23CcZzBLaLtSdZbVhH2qDBzo5NMZxjqCfbg2gcKM_XxglT97uRkop3.jpg

These really were a lifeline for me when modeling this one.

The “hero” plans I’ve written off; and have started a New Onshape model using These “Dan” plans I found by chance on the RPF. Mostly I’m guessing because, once again these have next to no dimensions. But it’s the most accurate drawing of the saber minus the numbers.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/P...iijmtbDRa18DGedkM1sRXxz0VKCVhrx3_I3tMVlOcRKo-
And WannaWanga sells these as very nice posters in thier print shop. So another plus

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/v...LtSdZbVhH2qDBzo5NMZxjqCfbg2gcKM_XxglT97uRkop3
These really were a lifeline for me when modeling this one.

Blueprint-Luke-ROTJ-V2.jpg

I do believe this is a higher resolution. Make sure you zoom in and take note of the uneven grip rings.

Blueprint-Luke-ROTJ-V2.jpg

Thanks for the HD photo. I agree the drawing has uneven rings but the photo of the original prop, by my eyes, has even rings. Ether that or they are .25mm uneven

I have also fixed he pommel size as the one on my latest model^^^ is over sized.

Last edited:
Thanks for the HD photo. I agree the drawing has uneven rings but the photo of the original prop, by my eyes, has even rings. Ether that or they are .25mm uneven

I have also fixed he pommel size as the one on my latest model^^^ is over sized.

I believe from people that have held the saber, they are indeed uneven.

oh well. If no one can tell me how much then even they will stay. Anyway this saber is pretty much a place holder until more than one picture and screen caps are available as reference.
I'm calling it the MK1

Nqe7YIPutaLCEpX8dLpVDecF0XJ_9ODOd3mMyxE56RcRch739KGnRRUoGdFK3bmmVfwjFNMMpnVbLo7WOxpDGjk909xtBjiu.jpg

NEW PLANS! These are what I’m going with full throttle. It is not 100% and I wont be getting a 100% or even 90% anytime soon due to lack of information. Because, as mentioned already, screen caps and one photo is not gonna cut it for a “perfect replica” right now.

These plans are significantly better than the first 3 sets of plans, (yes I revised/re-drew them 3 times) the grenade section is larger, I have added the shoulder and chamfers around the pommel section, the pommel is reshaped and is smaller, the lower clamp section (windave I think?) has been shrunken down, the Grenade ring has been sized up and the emitter has been reshaped.

Total overhaul.

I would estimate the accuracy at around 80% if that.

Thanks Starkiller! Always nice to have local legend on my thread.

Like I said before the plans I've made are what I'm working with for this one. I will try to use your drawing where I can. Thanks again

-and by the looks of it, My Knob is pretty close to your updated drawing, maybe the cone is too high...hm

I just measured my cone knob and got: 12.7mm in diameter, and about 11mm tall, with the base about 6.7mm and the cone 4.3. I'm more confident in the diameter than the other three

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back