Selling items printed from Thingiverse?

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All
I know how the rpf views recasting so how about items downloaded for free from Thingiverse? Ive seen a few 3d prints from Thingiverse that have been printed and on eBay and other sites. What if the item is finished or sanded and painted? Is it recasting or selling someone else's work?

Items on Thingiverse each have licensing terms. You should only have to follow them and you would be good. Those should be an expression of the author's wishes.
If the license allows sales of prints, then fine. Then the author explicitly allows "recasting".

However, if a model is revealed as an unauthorised copy of a restricted file, a 3D scan or maybe even just based on measurements of someone else's work then that would be an issue.

Just as Darth said.

It can only go one of two ways, it's not an object otherwise copyright protected and the 3D author grants permission, or doesn't
or it is a copyright protected object in which case the 3D author has no authority and by all accounts, probably shouldn't be sharing the file.

EDIT:

You raise a good question as I recently purchased a file that has permission but I question the authors ability to grant it, given the nature of the object drawn.

Last edited:
Normally the licence on thingiverse disallows selling on designs or printed parts...

I have noticed recently 3d printed tricorder cases from thingiverse turn up on ebay, but as pretty basic fdm prints no finishing being sold for silly money...

you'd have to check the license of each file. I personally don't allow for commercial use on mine, though have still found people doing so. Too many people illegally selling prints of files they shouldnt be.

I agree.. they shouldnt.

But that is also the 'risk' one takes when open sourcing/sharing on publicly shared file sites..

You are always going to get people who dont 'care'..

Heck in some parts of the world...... can you even seek legal action if they do not uphold/respect IP laws?

That has happened to some of my models I make available under noncommercial share a like license on thingiverse. There should be no distribution for money of with these models. In every case eBay has removed the posting upon filing a take down request very quickly. After three strikes these guys are banned for life. Obviously one has to rely on friends who let you know that this is happening. This also is the reason why I do not post .step files anymore as idiots have slapped their name on models and tried to resell claiming it is theirs. Much more difficult if you only pilfer the stl. I would contact the originator and just ask if you guys want to collaborate on making some return on the distribution.

Hi All
I know how the rpf views recasting so how about items downloaded for free from Thingiverse? Ive seen a few 3d prints from Thingiverse that have been printed and on eBay and other sites. What if the item is finished or sanded and painted? Is it recasting or selling someone else's work?

I'm not selling any prints I've seen several prints of the blade runner gun created by Andrew Forrester on my mini factory being sold on eBay and the Rpf Facebook site. I didn't feel it was appropriate.

Agreed, I've been down this road a ton of times. People post files for free under a non-commercial use license, and then people will come in and do exactly what you asked them not to do. You can report them if they sell on Ebay or Etsy, I have had success both places, but the internet is a big place and they can always go somewhere else to try and sell. I've also contacted resellers directly with some success, but for the most part the discussions end with 'I can do whatever I want, what can you do about it?' or 'you don't own the original idea/prop/concept so it's not your anyways'... Don't be confused, their choices have nothing to do with some peripheral moral high-road or concern for IP or 'integrity', it's a POS excuse for ignoring a designer's conditions of sharing so they can profit from the time and labor of others.

That's why a lot of designers don't share models with the community anymore. It's really the only sure way to prevent the above.

I'm very weary of this too. A few years back I created a 3D model of the Endeavor from Marvels Micronauts. I posted the pictures of an SLA print of it on Deviant art and since then I've had a lot of interest from people who want one and a lot have suggested posting it on Thingiverse so they can buy one.
So far I've resisted the urge as I know the model will get abused.

P1010184.JPGP1010183.JPGP1010187.JPG

It's an interesting topic. I'm just getting into the swing of 3D printing. I'm hooked now. But, I don't have the ability to create my own models just yet. So I've found thingiverse and sites like it, and I'm really enjoying them. I'm finally seeing where all the 3D printed stuff on ebay that I've wondered about for years are coming from. And it crossed my mind that it's just part of the hobby that people are going to print and sell stuff they did not create. Especially Andrew's Deckard blaster.

I like Thingiverse & My MIni Factory allowing for open dialogue with the creators of the models you download, and for compensation. I don't usually download a model I'm not going to print, and I don't download a model without leaving a tip. Unless the creator doesn't allow for tips of course, but when that happens I usually ask the site to let them know I tried to tip them.

When I'm finally able to create my own models, and I start sharing them on sites like thingiverse, I will do so knowing that some people are going to print the models and sell them. My intention is to ask for them to contact me first, and then just give me a few bucks every time they sell one. But that doesn't mean anybody will. I'm not going to try and sell anybody elses work, but I will sell my own.

Very cool that you tip the designer. With over 30,000 downloads on thingiverse, I have never received a single tip. Although I don't have props there, only useful stuff I make for myself that I am happy to share. No one wants to pay for models. And yes you just provide a repository for opportunist to take advantage. I am glad I don't have to make money with my designs.

Last edited:
Why not ask each designer if it is okay with them?

Ultimately, if you put your work out there for free, trying to regulate it will be a full-time job.
Muttleysdad, dats because your Endeavor is awesome!!

I try to make a point of thanking folks who put their stuff out there, but if you want to keep your work, there is nothing bad about that. People wanting your work is a compliment!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying it's right, but to some extent you give up control when you put your work on a sharing site on the big wide web. A lot of these recasters aren't even in your country. A lot of them are in countries that have a large business of ignoring intellectual property. It's great if you want to share, but you have to accept some abuse. The great thing about the internet is your a faceless name to these thieves. I only share my files with people who contact me directly and on a case by case basis.

I think you should contact the author and ask permission. Keep in mind if you get sell props from his model and you get it trouble (like DC telling you can't sell unlicensed Batman prop replicas), he or she could too.

Hi All

Technically, yes it is recasting. The creative process here starts at CAD. Someone with the skill set to make an item in a virtual 3D space created something. It is their work.

In a turn of good will, they then place that file on a site for others to download and print.

If you print this file for personal use, all good. If you print this file for purpose of selling, than that is bad. Regardless if you have spent time and cleaned up the print lines, painted it, whatever, you didn't actually make it in the first place. Therefore it is not your work to sell. So unless you have the permission or at least acknowledged the original "maker", then no, these should not be sold for profit.

And that is the main issue with recasting - taking someone else's work, making a copy and calling it your own.

Just my $0.02 worth. Sorry if I caused an upset.

I'm very weary of this too. A few years back I created a 3D model of the Endeavor from Marvels Micronauts. I posted the pictures of an SLA print of it on Deviant art and since then I've had a lot of interest from people who want one and a lot have suggested posting it on Thingiverse so they can buy one.
So far I've resisted the urge as I know the model will get abused.

View attachment 827379View attachment 827378View attachment 827380

You just wanted an excuse to post your work :p

Damn fine work too :D

makes me wish i had an sla printer...

But this is an extension of a problem thats been going on since.... ever...
Back when I was doing more CG work and doing loads of Scifi / startrek stuff on scifi-meshes. There had been times that artwork ive posted had turned up on ebay as prints or even on printed tshirts...

Ive kind of learnt that its the price you pay to show your work to untold amounts of people...

The alternative is not showing your work... But then of course you dont get the nice feelings when people comment or give constructive criticism on the work...

Its a pride thing :)

I'm not saying it's right, but to some extent you give up control when you put your work on a sharing site on the big wide web. A lot of these recasters aren't even in your country. A lot of them are in countries that have a large business of ignoring intellectual property. It's great if you want to share, but you have to accept some abuse. The great thing about the internet is your a faceless name to these thieves. I only share my files with people who contact me directly and on a case by case basis.

I have sent the file to people who have contacted me directly in the past. So far as far as I know they've only used it for their own enjoyment.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back