Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Good to know the Form 2 is up to the task. I just got one and am wrapping my head around the specific peculiarities that can make or break a print. Any quick tips since you've had such good results? Thanks again for making your fantastic parts available.

No tips or tricks yet - mainly because we haven't had any issues with it. We've run through a liter and half of resin this week and every print has been a winner. The black resin is by far the best. It holds the resolution way better than the white or the clear. The part above was run in black at 0.025 step height. Other than that, it was pretty much click and print. The 0.025 resolution takes a long time though - 3 1/2 hours for just that part. Ouch.

J.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've only tried the gray resin, but will order some black. And I've been manually setting up the supports with mixed success. Too many supports: a pain to clean up the parts, too few, disaster! Meaning floating resin chunks in the tray the next morning. And 3 1/2 hours doesn't sound too bad. The first thing I printed at .025 took 23!

No tips or tricks yet - mainly because we haven't had any issues with it. We've run through a liter and half of resin this week and every print has been a winner. The black resin is by far the best. It holds the resolution way better than the white or the clear. The part above was run in black at 0.025 step height. Other than that, it was pretty much click and print. The 0.025 resolution takes a long time though - 3 1/2 hours for just that part. Ouch.

J.
Very impressive quality. How would you say the economics of your parts hold up against having them done at Shapeways? On a cost-per-part basis, I mean, apart from the price tag for the Form 2.

Very impressive quality. How would you say the economics of your parts hold up against having them done at Shapeways? On a cost-per-part basis, I mean, apart from the price tag for the Form 2.

Heh - if you don't count the cost of the printer, the Kubelwagon hood I posted above cost me $0.55. So, yes much better than Shapeways...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the quick reply. I've only tried the gray resin, but will order some black. And I've been manually setting up the supports with mixed success. Too many supports: a pain to clean up the parts, too few, disaster! Meaning floating resin chunks in the tray the next morning. And 3 1/2 hours doesn't sound too bad. The first thing I printed at .025 took 23!

I generally don't mess with their supports. PreForm runs a light FEA analysis on the part to figure out where those things go, so they're there for a reason - even if they look totally chaotic. The most I'll do is move one that's right next to a small detail, or drop the attach point away from a visible edge.

Last edited:
Wow!,
I just got caught up on this thread, I've been away form the forum far too long.
Joshua, you are churning out those parts at quite a good rate. very impressive!
I know it was many months back .. but the work on the Quad laser was Killer.... so cool !!

I like the 1/72 Hasegawa "Easy-8" Sherman parts , I modeled the bogies my self for the 1/12 scale X-wing project.
I had done them some time back .. they were polygon modeled, If I were to do them now I would use nurms as you have done... Think re-creating the hard-surface subjects would go a lot faster in a CAD package like fusion..that's what they were designed for after all.
Im still learning Solid Works... sometimes I feel like I'm all "thumbs" in the software, ... when I so used to Max, May & ZBrush working ion thos platforms is second nature to me.
I look pretty silly when I'm hovering over these tiny parts, I have a set of Micro-calipers and a Optical head-set on ( the type Jewelers & dentist's wear)
Please tell me you're doing something similar, or am I the only one.

Thanks too for putting up the Rear Bulk-head of the Cockpit it looks sweet! very generous of you

Wow!,
I just got caught up on this thread, I've been away form the forum far too long.
Joshua, you are churning out those parts at quite a good rate. very impressive!
I know it was many months back .. but the work on the Quad laser was Killer.... so cool !!

I like the 1/72 Hasegawa "Easy-8" Sherman parts , I modeled the bogies my self for the 1/12 scale X-wing project.
I had done them some time back .. they were polygon modeled, If I were to do them now I would use nurms as you have done... Think re-creating the hard-surface subjects would go a lot faster in a CAD package like fusion..that's what they were designed for after all.
Im still learning Solid Works... sometimes I feel like I'm all "thumbs" in the software, ... when I so used to Max, May & ZBrush working ion thos platforms is second nature to me.
I look pretty silly when I'm hovering over these tiny parts, I have a set of Micro-calipers and a Optical head-set on ( the type Jewelers & dentist's wear)
Please tell me you're doing something similar, or am I the only one.

Thanks too for putting up the Rear Bulk-head of the Cockpit it looks sweet! very generous of you

Ha! Nope, you're in good company! Calipers and a loupe! : )

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm glad it's not just me,

I look less than graceful hunched over in front of my computer, ..a kin to Professor Wayne Szalinski's get-up in Honey I shrunk the Kids
I may take your advice and look in Fusion its a lot cheaper per month for starters and the interface seems to have a pretty short learning curve.
I should re-visit that Hasegawa Tank bogie and compare how much time it take to model in nurb/nurms. Mainly with poly modeling, the chamfers an curfs can be problematic.
and these kit parts have a lot of that aspect in their shapes. Though Maya and Max 2016 have made inpovment on that front ( I modeled that part back in 2010 --I think??
( it all blurs together..so many parts) :confused
When I think about all the parts that go on the Falcon .. its staggering that you're taking this on... KUDOS!
I'm chicken-sh^# at heart the X-wing had so few Kit parts by comparison.

Oh yeah... on fitting the figures in your cockpit, a while back I dismembered a black series TIE Pilot and 3D scanned it for shi#$ & giggles.
I wanted to see How it would print out in 1/24. I haven't cleaned up the data yet (I use Magics for that.
I've done action figure work before for toy companies. With printing on the Projet When you get your tolerances correct, you put one component in the freezer and the "socket part in Hot water, put the joint togethe and let then even-out to room temperature and you get a great posable friction joint
Im not sure how the Form_Labs resin would do ..it might be interesting to see

sending you a PM

ESCI German Half-Track Sd.kfz 251.1 Rocket Launcher. Parts 73, 75, 77, 78, 81 and 82...

ESCI German Half-Track Sd-kfz 251-1 Rocket Launcher.435b.jpg

Joshua,

I like that you even emulate the injection "artifacts" (for lack of a better term) on the shapes
Those ILM modelers didn't spend time cleaning up the parts to make them look like their intended use. Most of the time the just cut it off the sprue and glued it onto the miniature.

Nice attention to detail!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back