Scratch Built Rocketeer suit (Full scale and Child sized)

Sir Shaggy

I decided I couldn't stand it anymore and wanted my own Rocketeer stuff. As I cant fork out the big bucks, I decided to put my artistic skills to the challenge. Are they up for it? Time will tell. I have until this Halloween to get two complete Rocketeer suits finished; one for myself, and one for my 6 year old son. I hope its ok, I will be putting both build logs together here, but I will be sure to point out which of the two kits I'm working on if its unclear.

So first off, I had to build my own 3D model. I didn't photograph the helmet 3D model as it was just...bad...but it did the trick.

Then from the model, I extracted templates for both the Full scale build, and the child sized build:

Full:

Child sized:

Beside each other for size reference:

From there it was sanding....sanding........ sanding.... (still a WIP at this point)

Child sized:

Full:

Full:

Now a Rocketeer wouldn't be much of a Rocketeer without a helmet. So, as mentioned, it was modeled, template, and printed:

Full:

And of course, my little man's gotta have his helmet, slightly scaled down:

He wasn't allowed to move as the fin was just balanced atop of the helmet haha!

I'll post more pictures just as soon as I can. I get commissioned a lot, and I have a few other personal builds I have going on, so time is short. Thanks for checking it out!

~Shaggy

Nice work!! I especially like the fact you're making one for your son and your self.

what kind of commissions do you do?

Grimwood, I started off working on full scale batmobile replicas. So most of my work is relative to that. Parts and pieces to make them more detailed. I'm responsible for designing the body panels for the Rumbler (batbuilder.com) and if everything goes right I should be 3D printing capable by months end.

To also give you an idea, I'm currently building up templates to build the hub cap assembly on the rear tire of the Tumbler, the Afterburner, and the 3 wings atop of the car, all out of paper, and then ship it to California where it will be used as guides to build the real thing.

Thanks for looking

Grimwood, I started off working on full scale batmobile replicas. So most of my work is relative to that. Parts and pieces to make them more detailed. I'm responsible for designing the body panels for the Rumbler (batbuilder.com) and if everything goes right I should be 3D printing capable by months end.

To also give you an idea, I'm currently building up templates to build the hub cap assembly on the rear tire of the Tumbler, the Afterburner, and the 3 wings atop of the car, all out of paper, and then ship it to California where it will be used as guides to build the real thing.

Thanks for looking

That sounds like an awesome job! also great work on the pepruka(?) You have convinced me it looks easier that it looks easier than brain sugary. I may have to try this witchcraft

Thank you sir. :) I'm confident I can get all 4 parts ready for Halloween. What Im not confident in getting is the clothing (jackets, pants, boots, etc) before that time. I also have plans to cast a mold of all 4 items before Halloween. I don't know if that's gonna happen or not. One step at a time I guess.

Awesome work Shaggy! I'm also joining the Finhead club and I have questions, for anyone actually:

1. What's the best method to do the welds? Hot glue? wood filler? clay? (Sorry if this question has been addressed in another thread I didnt search).
2. What's the best way to make that indentation under the mouth? just sanding?
3. How are you planning on doing the lenses?
4. How did you attach the fin to the helmet?

Really jealous of your craftsmanship, excellent work.

I was considering clay for the bead welds. We will see how that pans out as it only needs to hold it's own til it's cast. As far as the lenses, I'm not entirely sure. One thing about that is this is a Halloween outfit, worn at night, so I might make some clear lenses for now for that reason, and put correct lenses in later. The fin is just balanced on for right now, and will be made permanent by two part glue I've got on hand. The indent I made was simply sanding. The indent and mouth on my sons helmet were actually free handed. It's a tad askew, but good enough for my OCD. Haha.

But. I also joined this site, and started this thread in order to get input, not to tell it like it is. So I would love LOVE to hear the opinions of others. I could learn from it all. :)

I'd recommend sealing caulk for the weld lines. I can't take credit for that idea, as someone else recommended it on this forum, but the results are pretty good. Just to give an example of whar they look like, I'm attaching the following image. It's easy to apply and would probably be faster than clay.

uploadfromtaptalk1409857290152.jpg

Also, is there any chance that you'll release your pepakura of the rocket pack? It's a beautiful 3d model you have there.

Hey Shaggy, and fellow Rocket Heads, can someone explain how best to make the air vents...

I see from peoples photos, that it starts out solid, filled in, and then somehow hollowing it out later. Is this correct, how do you hollow it out?

I was gonna approach it with regular card stock, hollow, and bondo ontop, is this not the best way?

Any updates? I think it's awesome you're not only building mono, but also for your son! This Halloween I'm locked into the Six Million Dollar Man as my project, but have wanted to create this costume for many years! Please update any progress and any difficulties you experience so we future Cliff Secords can benefit from.

Sorry Its taken me so long to add an update. I could have sworn I saw someone asking for the PDO that I made? I don't have the full version of Pep, so I cant release a Pep....

....However I am willing to share my Sketchup 3D model and you can do as you wish from that. It didn't take much for me to build it up.

Anyway. UPDATES!

I finally got my son's helmet dialed in, it still has some flaws, but its painted, and I'm satisfied.

Son's Helmet Primed:

Son's helmet Painted:

I then went back to my full scale X3, I did some experimenting with the rivets. At first I used the googly eyes, and wasn't too impressed with how far they stuck out:

So I scraped that off and looked to the all-knowing wife to help me out, and she didn't let me down. She brought home these 1/2" Fasteners for paperwork.

I then proceeded to scribe in the lines on the thruster, they aren't as deep, and as wide as I want, but its the best I can do considering its all being free handed with no help from a lathe, drill press, etc.

I cut out the vents on my son's helmet, it turned out a bit ugly since they weren't well reinforced on the backside, but its going to have to do. I'm running out of time. I also painted the fin. It all needs to be glued together, but I'm waiting for the paint to dry. :)

I also got started on my full scale helmet (mark 2) since my first one got warped due to incorrect storage.

As you can see, its larger than my son's helmet.

And here is everything left to get done....ugh I'm so overwhelmed.

Added some strips of aluminum to the side of the full scale helmet, hopefully this will work better than the communication cable I used on my son's helmet. I know they are suppose to be squared off, rather than round, but I'm building this on what scraps I have laying around.

And I've started assembling the center section for my full scale X3.

And last update: I took up my old profession of truck driving again. Probably will start trucking later on this week. This is going to play hell on getting these units done by Halloween.

Center Section Complete and tested fit for full scale X3

You may notice that the center section is missing some detail, most noted is the fan and grill protruding outwards. I plan to scuplt this from scratch and I have that flat surface there only to act as a backing. In my model, that area is composed of way too many faces, and it isnt completely accurate due to my limited skills with organic shapes. So I felt it better to go this route instead.

Also, and I know I'm derailing my own thread, but I started this:

It will be 3 foot long tip to tip.

Small Update:

I am back on the road trucking, so now time is going to be tight, and some things will have to be rushed in getting this done.

I started to fold up the vents for my helmet out of paper, decided I didnt really like the way they sat on the helmet once I got one finished

So I stepped out of my comfort zone, and bought some clay from Hobby Lobby and proceeded to scuplt the vents from scratch. This is literally my first interaction with clay modeling. I was able to cast a mold of the part, in plaster, and layed up some fiberglass and resin inside the mold before I left back trucking. When I get home, I'll let you know what it looks like. And then I'll have to do the same thing for the left side of the helmet all over again.

Also I have ordered my boots, and my Jacket that I will be using. Yes, I know, I know, totally not screen accurate. However its a budget build for halloween, so Its the best that I can do. My boots are currently waiting for me at home at the post office, and the Jacket shipped a few days ago.

I'm also considering cutting these up and making them work for the gloves.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back