Galaxy Quest ONE more thing!

Redshirt, you wouldn't happen to have an uncropped version of that photo, would you? :love

ETA: Also, is that strap faded or was there really a prop with a beige strap?

The strap is med grey, not beige. That photo may be a little warm in color. This is a photo shared years back on here I think.

Sorry, nothing else to share photo-wise on this.

Last edited:
Here's the official toy, for comparison:

GalaxyQuestOfficialSurfaceMapperSU.jpg

GalaxyQuestOfficialSurfaceMapperSUb.jpg

I'm amazed at how legitimate the prop department made the toy boxes – it never showed up on screen in this kind of detail and they could have filled the text with in-jokes or nonsense, but it all looks like it could really have existed.

That is amazing. do they have some weight to them or are they purely empty?

I'm amazed at how legitimate the prop department made the toy boxes – it never showed up on screen in this kind of detail and they could have filled the text with in-jokes or nonsense, but it all looks like it could really have existed.

That's because the show is real! (ok, maybe only in my head) but we can dream right?) ha ha.

Last edited:
It looks to me that Thermal's build does taper some on the ends some.

In the top view, yeah, but the side view doesn't look like it does. It would be an easy enough mod on a kit version if the texture isn't molded into the grip – just sand the edges down. If the texture is part of the mold, though, that would be a bit of an issue.

In the top view, yeah, but the side view doesn't look like it does. It would be an easy enough mod on a kit version if the texture isn't molded into the grip – just sand the edges down. If the texture is part of the mold, though, that would be a bit of an issue.

I have said it before and I'll say it again.

Accuracy is over rated!!!

If you can do better then do it, otherwise give Thermal an "A" for effort and move on. Don't be so anal and pick his work apart!!!

I think it is a very good job!!:thumbsup

OH My GOD!:rolleyes

Thermal:angel

Something that's worth noting is that the Mapper we see on screen has, in side view, tapered ends to the side grips, whereas the replica appears to have straight ends:

4324262085_2fc4f91aaf_o.jpg

4324262115_bb5257e856_o.jpg

All vac bucks have been updated! As for the button on the mapper, It is now the correct door bell. Remember, I did this a year after the movie came out! So the pictures are very old.:love

P.S. AnubisGard I’m not mad at you. All is good!:love

Thermal:lol

If you can do better then do it, otherwise give Thermal an "A" for effort and move on. Don't be so anal and pick his work apart!!!

I hope we can enjoy people's work and make observations too.

Here's the official toy, for comparison:

GalaxyQuestOfficialSurfaceMapperSU.jpg

GalaxyQuestOfficialSurfaceMapperSUb.jpg

The model kit box backs up what I always thought. That the Bronica hood was added at a later time. Just looking at the real prop Surface mapper without the hood on, makes me think the Bronica hood was added as an afterthought.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back