Zvezda Avenger-Class ISD-II - WIP

gedmac66

Sr Member
If you don’t mind me asking Invar, what method are you using for placing/securing the FO in , and (going by other reports) how many drill bits have you gone through so far ?

Ged
 

INVAR

Sr Member
If you don’t mind me asking Invar, what method are you using for placing/securing the FO in , and (going by other reports) how many drill bits have you gone through so far ?

Ged

Using Locktite Go2 glue. Dries crystal clear and is somewhat flexible when dry so no worries on creating brittle fiber.

Have drilled about 1500 to 2000 holes, mostly .30mm. Have busted about 36 bits. Some sections required hand drilling of the bit in between fingertips and still the density of the plastic sometimes snapped them even when I was turing the bit by hand.

I hope to get all the fiber run through and secured in the next several weeks. Then priming/painting the base color. Then onto the power cell, remote sensor and LED placement and soldering for all the lights. Still much to do and have the engine bells, hangar bay winch and conning tower to yet secure onto the model and will do those once the fiber is secure and the LEDs are in place.
 

gt350pony66

Sr Member
Just my 2 cents...I've been using LaserBond (as seen on TV) Dries in 3 seconds, hold great, and if you need to, pry up a corner with a hobby knife and it comes back up. It's also great for doing temporary mock ups.
 

Analyzer

Sr Member
Drilling tiny holes and threading fiber is one of the few things in the hobby that I just do not like doing

it's one of the main reasons I never finished any of my Star Destroyers yet :lol:
 

INVAR

Sr Member
I feel you there. However, I think that no other model is going to demand such fiber optic anguish as a Star Destroyer unless someone does a commercial styrene SSD Executor model.
 

Escape068

Well-Known Member
I feel you there. However, I think that no other model is going to demand such fiber optic anguish as a Star Destroyer unless someone does a commercial styrene SSD Executor model.
If you picked the Star Destroyer for your first endeavor into fiber optics you will be skewed for a while. I did but since then have done several other models that required a lot less FO and those bad memories of broken bits, hundred of drill holes and FO all over the place fade away.

FO Looking great!!

Keep the updates coming
 

Toadmeister

Sr Member
Not trying to steal the OPs thread, but thought this constructive:

Putting my fusalage halves together. Using white Elmer's glue and a crap load of clamps :)
IMG_20190704_120450.jpg
 

INVAR

Sr Member
White Elmer's Glue?

Are you wanting a light hold to be able to easily separate the halves in the future? Elmer's and styrene do not exactly make secure bonds.
 

gedmac66

Sr Member
Just a thought - maybe he’s putting it together like that to paint/weather before taking it apart again to install the fibre optic strands ?:unsure:
 

Toadmeister

Sr Member
White Elmer's Glue?

Are you wanting a light hold to be able to easily separate the halves in the future? Elmer's and styrene do not exactly make secure bonds.
Elmer’s white glue is cheap for such a long bonding perimeter as the SD model. With plenty of surface area and clamping, it bonded good and sturdy. Yes, I’m sure if I dropped it on the floor it would come apart but than I’d probably have bigger problems.
 

Toadmeister

Sr Member
Just a thought - maybe he’s putting it together like that to paint/weather before taking it apart again to install the fibre optic strands ?:unsure:
My lights, just LEDs for the engines and landing bay, are already installed and I can access the 9V battery and switch through the top panels, which I will leave removable. Might use magnets if needed.

That said, yes using the Elmer’s white glue would allow for future disassembly if needed for any electrical problems.
 

Guns Akimbo

Active Member
Elmer’s white glue is cheap for such a long bonding perimeter as the SD model. With plenty of surface area and clamping, it bonded good and sturdy. Yes, I’m sure if I dropped it on the floor it would come apart but than I’d probably have bigger problems.
Hmm. Possible viable alternative to magnets...
 

Teddyboy16

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
INVAR you’ve done a excellent job on your model. I know it’s sometimes hard to see the work you’ve put into it because you’re so close to it. The effort in adding extra detail really shows. I especially like the the first pic in post 174. That head on shot is great even though it’s not painted yet. It looks real to me. :)
 

INVAR

Sr Member
INVAR you’ve done a excellent job on your model. I know it’s sometimes hard to see the work you’ve put into it because you’re so close to it. The effort in adding extra detail really shows. I especially like the the first pic in post 174. That head on shot is great even though it’s not painted yet. It looks real to me. :)
Thank you sir! Although right now I no longer feel like I am building a model. Rather I feel like I am doing some kind of bizarre 3D needlepoint threading all these .025MM holes with miles of fiber. I am almost done laying fiber in the bottom half, and then I will move to the top half. Once I get all the fiber and LED lights placed, it will be time to set the trench floods, landing bays and engine lights and solder all the wiring to the remote sensor and battery pack. Then, priming.

Sadly the advice on 500 feet of .25MM fiber and 100 feet of .5mm fiber was inadequate. I am out and needed double that - so ordered new spools of 500 feet and 100 feet to finish what I estimate are about 1200-1300 holes altogether - because like an idiot I tried to match the number of holes seen on the ILM 8 foot model. So, this ship might look more like it belongs in Close Encounters rather than the Empire Strikes back by the time I get it all lit.

trenchlightsport1.jpgtrenchlightsport2.jpgtrenchlightsport3.jpgtrenchlightsport4.jpg
 
Top