Zvezda 1/72: Black Pearl (lighting w/custom base, WIP)

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a project that has been on the back burner for some time. I started this way back in December of 2020 and I really could not wrap my head around exactly what I wanted to do with it. I pulled it out of the box and this is about as far as I got with it, until now...

20201213_203456.jpg

20201213_203639.jpg

Now that I have some ideas on what to do I am ready to get this project done and hang it on my daughter's wall. Yeah, this is a build she is helping me with which makes this the best kit I have ever built, no matter how it turns out :)

She is a huge Pirates fan so it's time to get this one wrapped up. I have a few ideas for this kit:
- Internal flickering LED's
- A custom display so that it can be wall-mounted (going to 3d print some pirate treasure to put into the display).
- No way I am going to try and rig this with real ropes, at least I don't think so... but we are going to make some custom tattered sails for it.
- I might augment some of it with 3D printed parts if I can find the right items.

First up, get the lights installed and all the wiring starting with some amber flickering LEDs:

IMG_20211011_132510559.jpg

Putting down some aluminum tape for reflectivity and light blocking:

IMG_20211011_161331255.jpg

IMG_20211024_121214744.jpg

Since this will be wall-mounted you are only going to see one side so I drilled a hole in the side so that I could easily remove the ship from the display and unplug the battery pack:

IMG_20211024_121655347.jpg

I will see if I can link to a video or something at some point as the effect is really pretty cool:

IMG_20211011_154535981.jpg

So, so many cannons...

I am using a bit of the masking latex before laying down the paint and primer. The primary color will be Tamiya Nato Black:

IMG_20211024_130053312.jpg

IMG_20211024_150306564.jpg

I am leaving a few of the canons out on purpose to allow more of the light through:

IMG_20211026_215022749.jpg

IMG_20211026_215034877.jpg

Nice!

I actually just picked up the Revell release of this

It is the same kit, but without some details that specifically make it the Black Pearl

namely the prow figure. It has a swan instead

I want to still try building it as the black pearl so I will have to keep and eye on what details are missing/different

Funny enough, I have seen a lot of builds where it was built as a generic navy ship (as it is fairly accurate for a generic ship of that period)

I'd love to find one of those builders and maybe swap parts

Great stuff so far...I don't know if it's your first foray into building that type of ship...but I used to build those when I was young and the main
thing about "Man-o-War" ships is the amount of cannons you'll have to build/paint. I should know; I built the HSM Victory and its 104 cannonso_Oo_O:p

Great stuff so far...I don't know if it's your first foray into building that type of ship...but I used to build those when I was young and the main
thing about "Man-o-War" ships is the amount of cannons you'll have to build/paint. I should know; I built the HSM Victory and its 104 cannonso_Oo_O:p

No, this is my first ship of any kind... So many guns... Although nothing like the amount you are talking :)

Nice!

I actually just picked up the Revell release of this

It is the same kit, but without some details that specifically make it the Black Pearl

namely the prow figure. It has a swan instead

I want to still try building it as the black pearl so I will have to keep and eye on what details are missing/different

Funny enough, I have seen a lot of builds where it was built as a generic navy ship (as it is fairly accurate for a generic ship of that period)

I'd love to find one of those builders and maybe swap parts

Awesome, I am going to pick one of those up for my own build. This one is literally to go in my daughter's room but I am not done with this one and I already have a bunch of ideas on what else I can do, which would be much better suited for the one that would end up in my office instead :)

I did a very quick comparison and so far, there really does not seem to be much from what I can see so far.

Great... This was going to be a much easier build but now that Analyzer mentioned 'missing details' I can't help but start looking arround. I blame you :)

One thing I don't like about this kit is the way the canon doors are held open, they are on a very, very tiny little part that the ropes hang off of. They are just asking to be broken. In looking at this screen cap, the ropes go right into the hull which actually makes snese for a real ship, so that is how I will end up doing it.

1635383468721.png

Also if anyone has any ideas on how to make these, I am all ears:

1635384028718.png

I want to make my own tattered sails, and cutting the existing ones apart is not really an option. I have some very thin aluminum that would be easy to uses, but the real ones are tapered (thicker in the middle and thin out towards the edges).

You could possibly use the existing sails as a form and drape some tissue paper over it and soak with white glue then peel off when dry?

The might be rigid enough to keep the shape but will be really easy to rip and damage though

I think some model makers use brass wire to help shape cloth or Silkspan or Modelspan

found a link

Your picture is from movie 1 the model is more movies 2/3.
The bulkhead to the captains quarters is wrong.
If you want movie 1 you have to redo the entire main deck and the mizzen deck.
Many of the details are missing.

There is a part in the very front of the ship that I seemed to have lost.

IMG_20211031_100647037_HDR.jpg

I am terrible at scratch building anything so I have been looking for this part for weeks dreading the fact that I might need to 'make' this part, even though it really is a very simple part. Since the part could not be located I went to the store and picked up some styrene.

The first few attempts have some pretty large gaps but I finally dialed it in.

IMG_20211031_101843194.jpg

After a few more attempts I got the shape dialed in. While the kit part is just flat with a bit of wood texture to it, I thought I would attempt to add a bit of detail. Again, this is just going on my daughter's wall so there is no need for me to get crazy about accuracy.

IMG_20211031_104854672.jpg

IMG_20211031_134215023.jpg

There are so many 'fiddly' bits on this thing!

IMG_20211031_160610295.jpg

For your sails: a layer or two of blue shop towels soaked in watered-down wood glue is super hard and durable. Paper towels won't work and neither will white glue to get the full benefit. I've made armor pieces using this method (lots more layers) and it's very strong. I call it "winter fiberglass" since I can do it inside when the weather is cold.

I picked up the Zvezda Black Pearl version, so now I have both the Revell kit and the Zvezda.

They indeed are identical kits apart from the one spure that has the mast figure head and the decorative carvings on the back of the cabin

The Revell kit may have clearer instructions though for adding the rigging.

At any rate, I would follow along eagerly taking notes once you get to that point

I picked up the Zvezda Black Pearl version, so now I have both the Revell kit and the Zvezda.

They indeed are identical kits apart from the one spure that has the mast figure head and the decorative carvings on the back of the cabin

The Revell kit may have clearer instructions though for adding the rigging.

At any rate, I would follow along eagerly taking notes once you get to that point

Sweet! I will be getting back to this very, very soon. The daughter and I have the base coat down and are doing some dry brushing. Once I stop printing everything I can find on my new Saturn, I will get this going.

Have this kit and it intimidates me - not just due to the rigging, but overall...
You're right; the rigging and especially the sails are somewhat difficult and time consuming to get right! Lots of repetitions in terms of painting: one word...cannons! That's why, as a first build, you could choose this type of kit or another with a maximum of 20 cannons. Less than the HSM Victory at a 100o_O;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back