ZK's ZF.1 Remote, Now with build info

Zombie Killer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is a quick little project i had started awhile back but messed up the case, thanks to Kurtyboy for hooking me up with the needed part. Finished it up last night. I wired it so all the buttons turn on the display. I wanted something a little more than just a static remote.

Here it is with the proper reflective tape. It is just setting in there so it can be removed easily. Thank you reflective tape supplier! You know who you are!!
DSC07933Medium.jpg

DSC07934Medium.jpg

Here it is lit up. The batteries were some used ones that are a bit old so it will shine a little brighter with new ones. If it is not brighter i will add a battery. I will get new batts this afternoon.

DSC07943Medium.jpg

DSC07947Medium.jpg

Re: ZK's ZF.1 Remote

Mate that is a fantastic idea. It looks great! I was never interested in one of the remotes until now!

I am surprised there are not more comments about this. Any chance you can do a write up on how you did it? I would definitely like to see how you went about it, and make one as well.

I also grabbed one of KurtyBoy's remotes as well! I can't wait to finish mine.

What type of paint did you use? Gloss, satin, flat? Also, that's just yellow reflective tape, right?

Great job, Glen!

Thanks guys, still have not gone and bought new batteries... i used rustoleum flat black to paint the front surround and buttons. The rest was already black. Yes Sinistar that is just yellow reflective tape on the front. The backlight comes from a sleep number bed remote control. The ZF pic was printed on some transparency and i used 2 layers of it. I didn't take any pics or anything on this build so there isn't really going to be a build thread. I can snap a pic of the insides when i swap out batteries.

OK guys. I took this apart and did a few mods to improve it and added another battery. I went ahead and took pics. It's done and i am very happy with the results. 3 batteries make it nice and bright.

3M monitor glare screen
DSC08183Medium.jpg

I'm doing this so the reflective tape sits on the surface and it is dark when off. The only thing i painted was the trim, the game body was already black, i rit dyde the buttons but don't recommend it as thats how i messed up my original trim and the buttons may have shrunk slightly.
DSC08185Medium.jpg

Superglue, just a couple little drops goes a long way
DSC08187Medium.jpg

DSC08188Medium.jpg

DSC08189Medium.jpg

original game glass part. This is stepped and fills the hole up, sorry for the blurry pic.
DSC08193Medium.jpg

DSC08194Medium.jpg

original game tinted screen
DSC08190Medium.jpg

DSC08195Medium.jpg

2-3 pieces of transparency layers and then a little superglue on 3 edges to hold them together. I expected the usual superglue white fumes but didn't get any.

DSC08192Medium.jpg

DSC08197Medium.jpg

I cut the original pc board, soldered all the button outputs together so they all do the same thing, light up the remote.

DSC08199Medium.jpg

backlight source, sleep number bed remote i found at the dump.

DSC08203Medium.jpg

DSC08204Medium.jpg

Unsoldered the lcd board from the main board, removed the lcd, cut the board to fit, soldered both leds in parallel

DSC08202Medium.jpg

DSC08205Medium.jpg

load up the buttons

DSC08207Medium.jpg

install the board and realize i need room for the 3rd battery.

DSC08208Medium.jpg

needle nose pliers were here

DSC08209Medium.jpg

flat blade exacto was here

DSC08210Medium.jpg

my favorite, black tape battery holders. No more compact holder out there!

DSC08211Medium.jpg

Much brighter with 3 new batts.

DSC08214Medium.jpg

Drop the tape on it and it is screen accurate. Done!

DSC08222Medium.jpg

Stays when it is stood up too. PITA to cut it the exact size though.

DSC08223Medium.jpg

Wow Glen! I was impressed originally when you posted the pics of the finished product. It was the first time I wanted a remote for my collection and even ordered one from Kurtyboy after seeing yours.

Now you include the build pics I am even more impressed. But it is a lot more technical than I had hoped. A bit out of my depth, even with your detailed walk through. Looks like mine will stay an ordinary reflective tape version.

I have to tell you mate, the more parts you make for the ZF and builds of yours you show the more in awe of your talent I get.

Thanks my friend!!

If i can find some more backlights that fit i will hook you up. If you want to, give it to Mars and he can send it to me next time he ships me stuff. I have no problem volunteering his services.......:lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back