Ziggy's Bigtime Budget Build

chickenjug

I have just started on my first (budget) costume.

I started out by making a pepakura bio mask. It was too small. I then made another.
It was pretty lopsided. I made a third and, by Jove, it was good enough!

I have a rubie's mask, chopped and hot glued to a resonable size. It is too ugly to be maskless, so I didn't even feel bad when I mangled it.

I have a conan muscle costume for painting and I've gotten fomie shoulders, chest, and thigh armor made.

I've made ~2 dozen dreads from 5/8 backer rod, plasti-dip, and copper pipe connectors.

I glued two gatorade bottles together, added some pipe insulation and called it a plasma caster.

I've been reading tons of huntorials and I have a million ideas (most of which will have to wait until I find a briefcase full of cash).

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3718]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3717]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3720]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3719]

Be nice to me, this is only my second post!

Update! ~40% done.
It is starting to come together.

IMG_1264b.jpg

Startin to look pretty cool man!

Thanks! I'm super excited with how this is turning out.
I had the picture up on my computer at work and one of my associates asked if the shot was from the movie. I said "No, but it feels great that you had to ask."

Next step is the backpack.
I am also cruising the lingerie sites :ninja: - looking for plus size industrial fence net bodysuits.
This has made all of my (Google's targeted to me) ads suggest that I should visit CorsetUSA.com and such!

Still on track for halloween...
This weekend, I shaped some feet. These are a pair of boots (with the top cut away like a convertable car) stuffed with three pair of flip-flops and a pair of scuba boots. I sprayed the whole kaboodle with insuation foam, carved away the 'not foot' and sealed it with latex. The claws are sculpy clay. The boots add about four inches of height and they are easy to walk in. I am still going to paint them.

predator_feet_spray_insulation.jpg

My father found this skull in the woods behind his house. I am guessing that it is a racoon, but I really don't know.
I boiled it for an evening, and then soaked it in bleach water. My house smelled like poisonous soup.
I added some sculpy clay to the outer eye socket (for strength) and sealed it with clear rub-on varnish.

Racoon_necklace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Update. The countdown to Oct 31st begins soon! If the Mayans are right, 2012 is my last chance for Halloween.
I have no airbrush, and very little latex. I am mixing the $0.88 acrylic craft paint with liquid latex and hand painting the skin. Budget tip: I have been using a empty Lunchables (single serving children's crackers and cheese tray, for the non-Americans) container to mix the paint. This gives me multiple compartments for the different colors (and easy cleanup).
I painted one million spots on an off-brand Rambo costume chest and hunter's 'base layer' legs.
Budget_predator_chest.jpg

budget_predator_legs.jpg

Garden gloves latexed to match (black spots yet to be added).
Feet are almost ready. I only need to darken the claws.
Budget_predator_palm_dreads.jpg

budget_predator_skin_net.jpg

budget_predator_sprayfoam_feet.jpg

I purchased a scuffed up mask off of the marketplace here. I managed to do a pretty good job touching up the damaged paint. This is a significant step up from my modified Rubies mask.

snyder_p1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
did you hand paint all the spots and what paint did you use

Yes, one million hand placed dots. I mixed liquid latex with the 88 cent acrylic craft paint. It worked very well.

The downside is that I couldn't blend the colors or fade colors like someone with an airbrush.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back