Zelda Love: Making Rupees

NerdLove

I'm going to attempt to make some Rupees for Zelda Cosplay at this year's Comic Con.

My first thought was to make them using resin. Anyone with experience in this area? I have not worked with it extensively before and was curious if anyone had any tips or tricks to offer me on this subject.

My biggest concern is picking the right method for making the molds.

Thank you in advance for the feedback!

Hydin was thinking of doing a run of them made out of the crystal he uses for his Superman crystals. I'm not sure about any others. You could probably carve them out of wood and make a resin copy of them. It would be the cheapest way. It's how I plan on doing my final fantasy crystals as I can't afford fancy ones.

Hydin was thinking of doing a run of them made out of the crystal he uses for his Superman crystals. I'm not sure about any others. You could probably carve them out of wood and make a resin copy of them. It would be the cheapest way. It's how I plan on doing my final fantasy crystals as I can't afford fancy ones.

Do you know of any good tutorials that explain how to do that? I've searched the web for some, but so far have been unsuccessful.

well carving out of wood should be self explainatory :D

take a piece of wood, and carve a rupie out of it :D when youre happy with your work, sand it very smooth (VERY SMOOTH) you can (and probably should) spray a layer of primer on it to get the finished smoothness.
now you have a master for molding

after you have your master, you will probably want to make a two part mold
here is a pretty good video of how to do that
How to make a two-part mold - YouTube

when your mold is ready, get some clear resin, mix in the desired color you want (or maybe get the resin in the color you want, if you prefer that :) ) and cast it into your mold.
this way you should have clear one piece rupies, that you can make in any color you want, as you have a master mold :)

i hope this helped you

if you have a good belt sander you could just use that to sand the facets onto it depending on the size. In some cases it might be easier to rough cut it into shape to save on sanding. I'd also look up a tutorial on using clear resin as it seems to like to have air bubbles in it.

Personally, Id transfer a simple blue print onto mdf twice, and make both sides of the rupee, then join them together with pva glue. Then do the sanding etc and molding as EOS said ;)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back