Zeiss Ikon Flash - Custom Lightsaber Build

Yeah, I'll just have to get some of Roys tracks, that will solve that problem. I probably will end up using t-track afterall. I think the catalog grips are going to look too busy with the screws once I get the silver plates screwed down as well, and its more authentic to what would have been used. I can use the catalog grips on my McQuarrie style saber later.

Last edited:
Kinda screwed up the spacing of the grips, they are a little uneven, but I think it adds to the charm. There is barely enough room between each for t-tracks if I decide to add them, but honestly now that I have these ones on, I'm kind of happy with it the way it is. I initially was going to try tapping the holes and screwing them on with hex screws, but after tapping them all, i could never get the grips to tighten down all the way and it just wasnt working, so i widened the holes and went with some good old reliable pop rivets.

19424162999_441f38207d_c.jpg

19584562026_59c749df1e_c.jpg

19603771052_691cec8e5b_c.jpg

19422724458_dc52910834_c.jpg

I replaced the red wire with a thinner one so I could get it in more securely, and swapped sides because the exposed brass ring that the original was glued into got messed up. So i replaced that brass ring with a brass cap, which i think looks ok.

19424161159_54312077c0_c.jpg

19422771660_1f41c36316_c.jpg

I may still play with the grip spacing a bit if it starts bugging me, but other than adding something inside the pommel to balance it a little better (its very front heavy) I think I'm done.

Yeah I tried, they're pretty strong steel, I could barely drill the holes in them, but I agree.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. Don't sweat a little uneven spacing. It isn't noticable.

Give the grips a "wash" with some black (or maybe dark gray) paint after scuffing them up.

that looks excellent! good choice on,....everything! This looks great, especially next to the Obi

Just got a new calc bubble strip for this and had to share. I didnt know this bubble strip was so odd when i bought it, but look at this thing. The bubbles are recessed into a channel that then has a sliding curved cover that goes over the bubble. This makes the whole thing very thick, which i think will work well with my clamp.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
That's really cool! I just found one that had 9larger bubbles and thick outer ridges, I guess these things can be very different!

good stuff. the natural weathering always looks more visceral and real. i'd vote no on a fake grime prop wash.
one slight detail i'd mention. those two corroded screws...they would annoy any self respecting jedi i think.

I cant do much about them, they are rusted in place and I've tried getting the rust to come off. I mean if Obi-wan let his go to hell, I cant see why I can't have a few rust screws :p

Last edited:
Hey Doc-- just curious. This thing looked about the usual 3 cell size, but that photo of it next to the Obi-Wan saber surprised me. How long is this thing?
It's one of my favorite customs here BTW.

Thanks, it is for sure a 3 cell. Its about 10.5 inches long, but I made it longer with the emitter shroud piece. It's the same length as the Obi, just closer to the camera.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back