Yuma/Hero build thread

Sorry to hijack the thread, this looks like a great saber! booster weathering you did is enticing

The pommel cube, everything has sharp lines, so you'd see the dark Tri-ring. That's like wire or string
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.30.36 AM.png

Really hard to make anything out accurately from that image unfortunately. I don't know how long ago it was digitised, but it would be amazing to have a more up to date scan made of the original. The aliasing makes it hard to make out what's going on with the Tri-Ring. Good indication of colour though. I think what you're seeing is just the brand new/cleaned up ring, but the jaggies are messing with the shape.

oh my god this is great. Very well thought out

You know, the barge-climbing stunt had black all over the emitter face too, all these un-related stunts are lining up

Thanks Tom. They are indeed. They certainly had a similar vibe going on. I'm absolutely loving the Yuma right now! Had to use a bit of artistic licence on the emitter face. You can just about make out a vague pattern on one of the images, so interpreted it as best as I could. Pretty happy with what I ended up with though. :)

Thanks Tom. They are indeed. They certainly had a similar vibe going on. I'm absolutely loving the Yuma right now! Had to use a bit of artistic licence on the emitter face. You can just about make out a vague pattern on one of the images, so interpreted it as best as I could. Pretty happy with what I ended up with though. :)

Yuma is one of my favorites

Little bit of progress (WIP):

I ended up printing the stencil I made on to printable label paper and cut out the individual pieces with scissors.

This was laborious, but worth it in the end I think.

IMG_20200720_140916~2.jpg

IMG_20200721_091126~2.jpg
IMG_20200721_092430~2.jpg

To get the right colour for the necks, I used the Spray.Bike bronze gold as a base, and then airbrushed Vallejo Air Metallic Copper over the top until I arrived at a colour I was happy with. For the Yuma, I added a little black to the mix to dull it down slightly.

IMG_20200721_202007~2.jpg

IMG_20200721_202702~2.jpg

Next steps are to remove the paint from the rings on the Hero with sandpaper, and knock back the black on the Yuma emitter. I'll be using a scotchbrite pad to do this. I think the rings need a few more chips here and there too. I'll be revisiting the reference photos to see where I need to add a little more wear...

Last edited:
Bit of progress on the Yuma... Nearly finished. Just a couple of finishing touches to do:

IMG_20200722_123407~3.jpg

IMG_20200722_123240~3.jpg

IMG_20200722_123351~2.jpg

IMG_20200722_123440~3.jpg

Knocked back the paintwork on the emitter, which I'm quite happy with. I've opted to keep the nipple paint free. Just a personal preference. I think it's more in keeping with the body, which is mostly bare metal. I'll be adding a little more dirt and grime though, as it's all looking a bit too clean at the moment.

I've gone for a stainless Tri-Ring to match the look of the shiny new ring at this point in the props life. I've opted to keep the grub screw shiny and new for the same reason.

Still a few more little things I'd like to add, but for now I'm going to concentrate on getting the Hero finished:

1595446231780.jpg

All done with the body/paint job. Moving on to the control box next. :)

Little bit of progress on the Hero:

It's been an insanely busy week with work, but I've managed to get the triangles glued in to the plate, and the plate installed.

You may find (as I did) that the mushroom screws for attaching the box are a thread or two too long :rolleyes: Apologies for that! I opted to hacksaw a few mm off which didn't take long. Still, it would have been preferable to not have to do that. I'll be supplying shorter ones in the second run.

All a learning process. It's my first time building one of these too.

Anyway, it's looking good. Steady away. (y)

IMG_20200724_192156.jpg

IMG_20200725_113042.jpg

IMG_20200725_113033.jpg

IMG_20200725_152206~2.jpg

IMG_20200725_152146.jpg

Here they are.... At long last... The holy trinity!

Trinity_01.jpg

Trinity_02.jpg

Trinity_03.jpg

Well... Nearly... I'm still waiting on some paints to arrive for the PCB board, so the rails and buttons are held on temporarily with blue tack for the time being! I couldn't resist putting it together to see how it looked though. :D

So good to see all three together after all this time! :)

Here's a shot of just the Hero:

HERO_01.jpg

The Brass rails have been painted to match the neck (as with the original prop). Its a base of Spray.Bike Bronze Gold with Vallejo Air Metallic Copper over the top. For the T-Track, I mixed up a mid-to-dark grey by eye to match the reference material.

For the second emitter screw, I opted to fill in using epoxy filler rather than using the screw that I supply with the kit (Although, I did use it on the Yuma). The Aluminium filler I used was way too dark, so I colour matched with a Markal Aluminium paint marker.

Really poor lighting conditions today, so I'm not able to get the best photos. Couldn't wait to share though!

As soon as we get a nice day, I'll snap some better images.

Looking forward to cracking on with the PCB as soon as the paints arrive.

Cheers,

Dave

I love those !
I can see why you couldn't wait to share.
Blue tack works for me!
I am so happy to be part of this Dave.
Thank you for your efforts.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back