Your favorite tools, tips or tricks of 2021!

You have seen Fon Davis's two DVD set, Introduction to Professional Model Making? Amazon shows it out-of-stock, but it regularly shows up on eBay for under $30.00 - the section on painting and weathering is worth the price.

I forgot! Whenever it was on sale I had it bookmarked and then I remembered going back and it was either out of stock or just not for sale. I'll have to look for a copy.

I almost forgot, you cannot use Mission Models acrylic paints straight out of the bottle despite claims on the bottles and their advertising and being billed as airbrush ready acrylic paints

Unfortunately for me I recently painted something only to find after weeks worth of drying, I literally can stick water on it and have the paint dissolve as if I was using paint thinner or some other chemical to remove paint on it

If I had not accidentally discovered this before trying to add decals I would have ruined the decals and model. Apparently when I masked it, there was some condensation or something under the tape that made the paint turn to goo. I thought it was residue from the tape so I tried washing it off, but anywhere water touched, the paint almost instantly turned to the same goo. 5 minutes of running it under the faucet and wiping it with my fingers, my entire paint job was completely erased down to the Tamiya base coat I had used

and what was odd, the surface before adding water seemed quite good I could not rub it off or scratch it, but water just destroyed it

Apparently you MUST ABSOLUTELY mix in the polyurethane additive or your paint will NOT stick. Thy claim this is optional, but from what I have read with others, it is not

Personally, I was so frustrated with my experience I am not even going to try the additive, I'll just stick with Tamiya and Vallejo

TL; DR:
Ignore the instructions on the paint bottle and use the mixtures to get the paints to adhere

Last edited:
You have seen Fon Davis's two DVD set, Introduction to Professional Model Making? Amazon shows it out-of-stock, but it regularly shows up on eBay for under $30.00 - the section on painting and weathering is worth the price.

My copy finally arrived, thanks again for the recoomend. He explains and showcases so many things, plus Fon Davis is just awesome.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back