Your favorite Book Prop

"A Book of Modern Poetry" from the Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough at Last." It's the little gray book that Henry Bemis' wife asks him to read to her, only to find out that she's crossed out the pages. I still wonder if that was an actual published book, or if they just slapped a cover with a generic title on another book.

You don't see much inside of it unless Alan's showing you, but yes, Saruman's book from Fellowship is pretty amazing. Or I should say that Alan's work in it is.

I remember the first time Ralph showed me the Raiders bible drawing and started telling me about who he 'killed' at ILM to do the drawing... lots of fun to imagine these guys getting into it.

Last edited:
How about John Dunbar's journal from Dances with Wolves...

The text would obviously come from the movie narration and could be supllimented with text from the novel.

Best,
DBCooper

A list of well-known book props would be larger than I originally supposed:
  • Dr. Henry Jones' Grail Diary, from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, the final installment of the Indiana Jones series.
  • The President's Book of Secrets, from National Treasure 2.
  • The Necronomicon, from the Evil Dead series.
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, from the series of the same name.
  • Nine Gates to the Kingdom of Shadows, from The Ninth Gate.
  • The Red Book of Westmarch, the The Lord of the Rings series.
Of these, I picked up the Grail Diary from another member here (I plan to make my own at some point), and a copy of Nine Gates that was on Lulu for $40 (I can't recommend that one, although as a cheap prop it's okay).

I love the look of the Hitchhiker's Guide from the recent movie. It looks a lot like I'd pictured it when I originally read the series. With the new flexible displays that have been coming out, I wonder if a real working model might be possible in the future?

Most people dig the Grail Diary as do I, but I've always wanted Indy's bible from Raiders.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/138937939_94ffecfea3_o.jpg

I'm with you on this one... I love that prop and will acquire one when I find a suitable Bible version.

That said, hands down my favourite book prop is without doubt Mars and Taz's Presidents Book of Secrets (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=71612&highlight=book+secrets).

To my shame I have to admit that I had no idea what it was all about and only watched the movies about 2 weeks ago - for the first time - but, even without knowing what all the fuss was about, I knew their book prop was something very special - and I was right....!

Last edited:
The book Crane reads on the stagecoach to sleepy hollow, from the Tim Burton version of Sleepy Hollow, has always been a favorite of mine.

River Song’s Doctor Diary (Doctor Who)
Journal of Impossible Things (Doctor Who)
The Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Necronomicon (Army of Darkness)
Symbols of the lost Sacred Feminie (The Da Vinci Code)

my favorite book prop

4863_99597391119_99596506119_256404.jpg

The President's book from NT2, this is by far the closest replica i've seen yet, though pricey.

Next would be the Book of Shadow's from Charmed

Last edited:
I've always wanted a copy of Kirk's "A Tale of Two Cities" from The Wrath of Khan. I've never been able to find a copy that matched it, so I'm thinking it's was made for the movie.

You're not alone in wanting one- and I've come to the same conclusion that it was fabricated for the film; even in large print A Tale of Two Cities isn't that big.

totc001.jpg

Kevin

There was a cool little necklace prayer book in Enemy Mine.
But my personal favorite would be the Never Ending Story book.
Followed by the Grail diary...

"The Number 23" book from the film, "The Number 23". I've been interested in making one for a long time now, but since we don't see a few pages of the book and there is no information about the actual prop itself, the odds of me making an screen-accurate one or a "original mint conditioned" copy of the book is very least likely. I mean, other than the pages shown with the pictures of the "house in a small town" and the picture of "Fabrizia", I don't know of any other pages that may include pictures, what all the chapters say (including those that have the hidden message of "each 23rd word of each 23rd page"). A shame really, I'd love to have a copy of it (as some other fans over at the IMDb BBoard for the film).

Yup! The book from Star Trek II is also my favorite and probably the very first prop I went searching for. Thanks for the pic! ;)

You're not alone in wanting one- and I've come to the same conclusion that it was fabricated for the film; even in large print A Tale of Two Cities isn't that big.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back