Young Maleficent (from Movie) Costume for my Daughter

georgekaplin

My oldest Daughter wanted to go as the Young Maleficent from the recent movie.

20141018-008-2.JPG

The horns were drawn in the computer to make the symmetrical helix shape.

IMG_2581.JPG

I printed TOP and SIDE views from the CAD file and used those to cut the basic shape out of the foam pink insulation block. It and carved with a dremel and sanded..

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

My 20 year old TRON helmet helped me visualize the placement of the horns

IMG_2891.JPG

After sculpting, they were coated in a woodglue/joint compound mix. I found the recipe online as a quick and cheap way to make a hard coating. It goes on like TOOTHPASTE which is not easy to work with, but does dry hard. In the end they were a bit heavy but more durable than I thought.

They were attached to a headband which was under a wig, so I could tie them under her chin to help them from sliding off backwards.

1373190189.jpg

IMG_2842.JPG

The wings were wire, and insulation foam covered in printed fabric.

Halloween2014 070.JPG

The design was all done in Photoshop using various clip art images of wings and feathers. It was then printed as SPOONFLOWER.com. It was quilted to make the feathers look like individual feathers. The hooks at the top were made like the horns. Then screwed into place in the foam by using a looooong screw and a lot of hot glue!

It was finished with an 5$ EBAY dress and a few other details.

20141025-P1050670-2.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

Wow the printed wings are really great. Super idea to use quilted fabric to make it really look like feathers. The 3-D effect is great. Nice job.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back