Announcement You spoke, We listened! - Junkyard V 2.1

well there is still more veiwers on the old jyard than the new one which i find annoying and unusable tbh

I would imagine that is because google is still indexing the large amount of data in there and sending people that way. The new junkyard is pretty small by comparison but it will catch up.

What do you find unusable about it?

just find the layout to be annoying and really not good to use, i think the old list system was better and i will find myself not using it to browse stuff,there was nothing wrong with how it was tbh but hey it is what it is but everytime i look there is more folks on the old jy than the new one

If you prefer the old layout, you can switch it back in the Settings page.

User CP --> MPS Classifieds Settings --> Disable Grid View

Last edited:
well there is still more veiwers on the old jyard than the new one which i find annoying and unusable tbh
You are seeing more viewers in the only Junkyard compared to the new one because we split out the oringal Junkyard into three separate sub-forums (Junkyard, Project Runs, Want to Buy), so to do an accurate comparison, you need to combine the viewers of the new sub-forums. Also, since now only Premium Members can sell, there will be less items being sold (at least for awhile anyway).

I would imagine that is because google is still indexing the large amount of data in there and sending people that way. The new junkyard is pretty small by comparison but it will catch up.

What do you find unusable about it?
The Classifieds section is not indexed by Google.

If you prefer the old layout, you can switch it back in the Settings page.

User CP --> MPS Classifieds Settings --> Disable Grid View
This will give you the "old" Junkyard look and hopefully remove that annoyance from your life. :)

I might have misunderstood previous talk about the JY/PR forums, but is asking that payment be made via "Gift" option allowable in the Project Runs forum? I know in the JY it is listed above the check-box (stating that you will not ask for the Gift option), but I do not see that when posting a new thread in the PR forum. No intentions of asking for payment be made via gift, just wanting clarification as I'm seeing more listings in the PR asking for payment via gift option and I thought we were trying to get away from that.

Question : When Jason is done with the old JY :lol, will the FS/Auction etc prefixes then be viewable in the list of 'New Posts' function ? (they are currently only seen with the old JY threads).

I might have misunderstood previous talk about the JY/PR forums, but is asking that payment be made via "Gift" option allowable in the Project Runs forum? I know in the JY it is listed above the check-box (stating that you will not ask for the Gift option), but I do not see that when posting a new thread in the PR forum. No intentions of asking for payment be made via gift, just wanting clarification as I'm seeing more listings in the PR asking for payment via gift option and I thought we were trying to get away from that.
The no "gift" paypal rule is same for all the Classifieds sub-forums. The regular forum software does not allow for the check box acknowledgement that we have implemented in the new Junkyard so it is not available in the Project Runs forum, but that rule is mentioned in the Classifieds Guidelines.

http://www.therpf.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_jy_guide

I have a current run going in the old JY and do not want to lose the information when the JY is shut down. How do I go about getting it moved to the new Project Runs section?

I have a current run going in the old JY and do not want to lose the information when the JY is shut down. How do I go about getting it moved to the new Project Runs section?
Report the first post of your thread using the "Report Post" link at the bottom of the post and it will get moved (please mention whether it's a limited or unlimited run).

I love how people are still posting multiple items for sale in a single JY thread without them being "bundled" together... Isn't that against the rules?

I love how people are still posting multiple items for sale in a single JY thread without them being "bundled" together... Isn't that against the rules?

Quote: Selling multiples items one at a time in the Junkyard is perfectly acceptable and actually encouraged as selling them that way guarantees that the item is already made and in hand as opposed to selling them in are run and having to actually make the item after getting a deposit or payment in full (as occurs in many runs).

Thanks,
Montagar
RPF Staff

I'm not talking about multiples of the same item, I'm talking about a bunch of different items listed out in one thread with prices on each item.

Quote: Selling multiples items one at a time in the Junkyard is perfectly acceptable and actually encouraged as selling them that way guarantees that the item is already made and in hand as opposed to selling them in are run and having to actually make the item after getting a deposit or payment in full (as occurs in many runs).

Thanks,
Montagar
RPF Staff
Selling multiples of the same item at the same price is acceptable, but not a bunch of different items with different prices as Kevin Gossett is referring to.

For a week I'm not getting my daily subscription emails from Junkyard or Project runs. I used to get them daily from those 2 and the deprecated one.
I tried unsubscribe and subscribe again but I'm still not getting them.
Any ideas?

EDIT: More info: I am receiving subscription emails from threads. Just not the Forums I'm subscribed to.

For a week I'm not getting my daily subscription emails from Junkyard or Project runs. I used to get them daily from those 2 and the deprecated one.
I tried unsubscribe and subscribe again but I'm still not getting them.
Any ideas?

EDIT: More info: I am receiving subscription emails from threads. Just not the Forums I'm subscribed to.

We will have to test this to see what is going on.

Report the first post of your thread using the "Report Post" link at the bottom of the post and it will get moved (please mention whether it's a limited or unlimited run).

Similar question: What about old FS threads (currently listed in the deprecated JY) which are not done yet? Like Wasili's SW Death Star Laser Turret - money has been collected from a lot of members, but just a few received their kits yet.

What is going to happen to all the information in these kind of threads?

Oh, the irony.

Before I joined Glock Talk the administrators made the decision to incorporate classifieds software similar to the software recently installed here. Apparently the “legacy” membership at that forum had a similar reaction that some of the older members of this forum had but the administrators pushed forward despite their complaints

Well, I just went to Glock Talk and was greeted with this announcement:

Important Notice: We purchased and installed this classified ads software because we thought it would be a genuine enhancement to the GT classified ads system. I still believe it is a far better alternative for a classified ads section than the forum software, but people just don't seem to agree. I had hoped that people would take to the system and see its benefits after having used it for a while, but that hasn't happened.

So, I am going to admit defeat and move the classified ads section back onto the old message board forums. Posting permissions have been turned off in this software and the old classified ads forums have been reactivated. We will leave this software up through 27 June, 2014, so that people can refer to the old ads. Please place all new ads in the classified ads forums. They can be found on GT's forums index, below the Armory section. Here is a direct link to that area: The Want Ads Forums.

In the coming weeks, we will be adding some features to the classified ads forums that will make them better suited for that purpose, while keeping the features and functionality of that system that people have shown they want.

Now, I will admit that the new Junkyard doesn’t bother me as much as it did at first, I was more bothered by having to pay to use it. After all, I have been here since 2000 and this place never needed to charge for this service in the past so why now? Art has his reasons and I respect that.

I was in the minority and finally just gave in and paid for premium membership to be able to complete my current Active Project.

However, this turn of events at Glock Talk is comforting, maybe Side Show Freaks and the RPF will soon realize that charging hobbyists a fee to sell items to other hobbyists isn’t the best way to promote community.

I don't think what another forum is doing or not doing has anything to do with this forum. And for the last time, you aren't being charged to sell. Premium membership has a long list of perks, not the least of which is supporting this community that you have been a part of for so long.

Forums are just groups of people with common interest.

What they talk about is different but the behavior patterns are the same. I have yet to join a forum and meet a different “category ” of member.

So saying that the way one forum acts has nothing to do with how people on this forum act is silly.

Their forum grew too big, it changed, new admins tried to make it better and they instituted a new classifieds system despite the complaints of the older members. From what I have been told they even floated the “premium membership dues” idea but that got totally shot down.

This forum is mirror image of the growth pattern of so many forums that I am a part of.

As for the benefits of premium membership I don’t use any of the “perks” that come with the membership other then exercising my right to post to the Junk Yard.

I am on several forums that have “premium membership” dues. It seems that most resort to making it a requirement to be able to sell items on the forum after they realize that the majority of the members have zero interest in paying to be part of a community.

Several of the smaller forums have all but disappeared from the lack of participation, one of my meteorite forums goes weeks without anyone posting.

That will never happen to a forum like the RPF or the AVS forum due to the sheer volume of members but I do know that a small percentage of my current AP has openly told me that they HATE the new classifieds format and that they will only deal with me via email, so it still affects the members.

You also have to consider that people like me (most of which have contributed way more then I have) are the reason this forum is the size it currently is. At one time this foum only had a couple hunderd members and we were limited to 20 pages of 20 threads, That was it. It was sacrilegious to even talk about starting other prop based forums (I’m not exaggerating, it really was) and now there are several but the RPF is the primary source for prop info because of the builders, after all there wouldn’t be much to talk about if people didn’t build stuff. As with any niche hobby, unless people pull together most of the props would be unobtainable as a singular project. Rylo could have easily made a single JP Cryo Can for his collection but even if he posted the blueprints on this forum few could afford to pay a machinist to make them a singular unit.

I’m not trying to say that the builders are more important then other members, but they are the main reason others want to join the community. They want to have a place to talk with like minded people, some want to learn how to build stuff, others want to have access to buying stuff and others just like to hang out.

So in closing I thought that it was ironic that Glock Talk didn’t listen to their older members and pushed forward with an unpopular concept only to eventually scuffle it.

PS: It’s also ironic that many of the people that made this forum what it is, are currently banned.....

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back