You look like a hood ornament! Rocketeer helmet build WIP

BingoMaru

This is a dream project for me, ever since seeing the film as a kid in the early 90's. And thankfully, with programs like CAD and zbrush, and the accessibility of home 3D printers, it's now becoming a reality.

This started off as a fantastic file bought on Etsy from one of our fellow members here, Kiwimaddog. Highly recommend it. But, I wanted to tweak it, and bring it that much closer to accuracy, so I loaded the file into zbrush and began. First I shortened the length of the face by a few percentage points, then I slightly smoothed out the shape of the eyes at the top arc. Then, I extended the air inlets on the top of the head, on either side of the fin. Then, I reshaped the lower ridge on the sides to terminate to a point. And finally, I digitally resculpted the weld lines. Then to get it to fit on my printer, I sliced off the back half of the fin.

Printed on my CR-10S in ABS, with a 0.12 layer height and 33% infill. Took about 4 days. Once the helmet and fin were printed, I glued the fin to the helmet using a thick ABS slurry paste I made by melting the filament in acetone, to create a very strong weld, much like when using weld on with styrene. Layers of primer and filler, with rounds of 3M spot putty, as brought me to this. Oh, and I used actual brass WW2 rivets around the eyes.

I'm going to be molding it and casting it in Smooth On's 65D impact resistant resin this coming week. If anyone is interested, I can start an interest list soon. But anyways, here is where I am on this project.
Screenshot_20200424-002638~2.png
received_2790392291188645.jpeg
received_539023300119484.png
IMG_20200520_230139.jpg
IMG_20200524_194924.jpg
IMG_20200525_103405.jpg

This is a dream project for me, ever since seeing the film as a kid in the early 90's. And thankfully, with programs like CAD and zbrush, and the accessibility of home 3D printers, it's now becoming a reality.

This started off as a fantastic file bought on Etsy from one of our fellow members here, Kiwimaddog. Highly recommend it. But, I wanted to tweak it, and bring it that much closer to accuracy, so I loaded the file into zbrush and began. First I shortened the length of the face by a few percentage points, then I slightly smoothed out the shape of the eyes at the top arc. Then, I extended the air inlets on the top of the head, on either side of the fin. Then, I reshaped the lower ridge on the sides to terminate to a point. And finally, I digitally resculpted the weld lines. Then to get it to fit on my printer, I sliced off the back half of the fin.

Printed on my CR-10S in ABS, with a 0.12 layer height and 33% infill. Took about 4 days. Once the helmet and fin were printed, I glued the fin to the helmet using a thick ABS slurry paste I made by melting the filament in acetone, to create a very strong weld, much like when using weld on with styrene. Layers of primer and filler, with rounds of 3M spot putty, as brought me to this. Oh, and I used actual brass WW2 rivets around the eyes.

I'm going to be molding it and casting it in Smooth On's 65D impact resistant resin this coming week. If anyone is interested, I can start an interest list soon. But anyways, here is where I am on this project. View attachment 1304002View attachment 1304003View attachment 1304004View attachment 1304005View attachment 1304006View attachment 1304007
wow, I love that movie and this is such a great recreation of the helmet. well done!

I can empathise about loving this from the 90s, this was my favourite movie for a long while!
Must get around to printing my own but not found the right model yet

Great finish on that print! How many hours of standing?!
A bit. It helped that my settings are fairly dialed in, and printed at 0.12mm layer height. Also using ABS, which I find sands so much easier than PLA. And 3M acryl-green glazing spot putty. Much preferred over Bondo or any wood filler.

A bit. It helped that my settings are fairly dialed in, and printed at 0.12mm layer height. Also using ABS, which I find sands so much easier than PLA. And 3M acryl-green glazing spot putty. Much preferred over Bondo or any wood filler.
Good tips! Sadly my fdm is an old cheap knockoff so rather limited in how good I can get it printing

How can I get one of your Rocketeer Helmets ? How do I message you ? No message button on your name ?

KPAX 09

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back