you know what this forum needs? another iron man build! MK VII, finished, pics+vid!

EyeofSauron

Master Member
well, i didnt want to post this when i started out with this build because frankly, im a little fed up with the load of iron man we have here. i wanted to make it for myself, and not post another of these endless threads.

the thing that changed my mind was, that i usually am really bad at painting. i **** up all the time.

well, until now. i actually did a paint job that i am proud of, with really cheap paints too. so, this is why im posting.

i especially like how the brushed metal look and weathered look turned out
i would finish my paintjob this weekend, but the problem is, that the shop ran out of paint, and it takes about 10 days for them to get the new ones...
(funny thing is, i started out with the molotov brand red color, bought one can to try it out. the color was good, alltho i wasnt happy with the spray can in general. so i went back to get more cans, and they were out.
After some deciding, i switched to montana gold brand, and also bought one can, to test if it matched up.
Well it did, and it was a much better result than with the other can. So i went back again, and wanted to buy more of it, just to find that there was only one can left. well, now i have to wait for them to restock, as i cant continue otherwise...)

the whole suit is gonna be painted for heavy wear and damage, because lets face it, the only time tonys armor ever is clean, is right after he built it and before he ever takes it out for a test drive ;)

so, enough talk, more pichers! (just to say, these were taken today and it was allready getting dark when i took those, so they dont quite do it justice, but i still think they give the idea. the cod is the only thing fully finished, all the rest still needs the wear and battle damage)

Last edited:
Re: you know what this forum needs? another iron man build!

I think the forum needs an own ironman-subsection :D

Everything looks real good so far especially the cod piece! I'm about to paint my Mark VII too and it will be my first time painting anything like this, so I'm looking forward to more details and updates in your thread.

Did you seal or primer your foam first, if so with what?

Also, any tips and tricks on weathering methods would be great, I haven't found very much of that detail around here.

Lastly, in regards to paint, will you be sealing it with anything to help prevent rubbing off, cracking, peeling, etc?

Everything looks real good so far especially the cod piece! I'm about to paint my Mark VII too and it will be my first time painting anything like this, so I'm looking forward to more details and updates in your thread.

Did you seal or primer your foam first, if so with what?

Also, any tips and tricks on weathering methods would be great, I haven't found very much of that detail around here.

Lastly, in regards to paint, will you be sealing it with anything to help prevent rubbing off, cracking, peeling, etc?
i did seal the foam first, but i found out that the paint i used, covers unsealed foam equally good.
i started out with molotov tornado red, but it left a kind of red dust on top of the pieces, so i had to seal those with a clear coat afterwards
after that i switched to montana gold brick red, and even tho its supposed to be matte, it has a "shine" to it, if you wanna call it that. i dont think i will clearcoat it yet, as the graffiti paint is made for wear and hard weather, so i dont think it will rub off.
the montana paint is really good, i got to say. never imagined that a can for 4 bucks can give me results similar to duplicolor and the likes.

the weathering is just simple drybrushing.
i never did it before, and i looked it up on youtube, just look for something like Drybrush for costume armor
or anything in that vacinity.

May I join in your sarcasm and agree, Yes, this is the most relevant and important iron man thread in the history of threads.

Silliness aside, I don't think I will ever grow weary of watching folks make a rawkin' suit of Iron Man armor. I remember hearing that there was going to be an Iron Man movie and worrying that the armor was going to look hoakey. I like the suit. I hope I like the third movie's armor.

RPF is a great motivational kick in the rear! Make the suit! You can do it!

Nooooooooooooooo! More Star Wars!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Martin arrow thru the hed, two coffee rolls...ZAP! Princes Leia!

We now return you to the most necessary, meaningful, necessary and back-hair growing thread in the history of rpf.

Hey looks great. What is the actual color of the gold? One of the first foam suits that I like the look of the gold. Can you take a pic of the can? Being here in the states I wonder if I can find it online or something.

Also I thought a lot of the reason why others seal their suits is adhesion and cracking after wear and time.

I am putting together a Mk VII out of foam after starting one out of Pep Paper. I am glad there are so many forums on the Iron Man builds, as I learn from each. Just like the placement of your buckles on your cod solved some problems I was having with the abs section, and how it connects. I for one appreciate all that you do EyeofSauron, as well as the others who post ideas. I think next week I will be starting on my painting, so, I will definitely be watching this thread!

Hey looks great. What is the actual color of the gold? One of the first foam suits that I like the look of the gold. Can you take a pic of the can? Being here in the states I wonder if I can find it online or something.

Also I thought a lot of the reason why others seal their suits is adhesion and cracking after wear and time.
MCANS_M3000-500x500.jpg

this is it. i found it is available in the us for about 10 bucks, which isnt too bad either.

more pichers! i decided to do all the dry brush on the pieces ive already painted, and i masked all the pieces that only have the gold and silver painted on, so i can immediately paint them when the new cans of red arrive.
what i have to say, i doubte that i would get a decent set of armor, when i started this, and in no way did i ever think i could make a decent foam helmet.
well, i changed my mind :D
the eye lights are temporary, and actually just back lit by the arc reactor ;) it will be a stronger light

so, pichers!

sooo, the suit is 95% done. all is painted up, weathered and stuff, im still thinking about adding more battle scars, like the one on the abs. i wonder what you think about it.

all thats left to do is:
undersuit+gloves
gluing the finger pieces to the gloves
finishing the light up eyes and putting in
mount all the battery holders
connect some pieces that can only be done while suited up and with help
eventually add more battle scars

unfortunately i seem to have lost a finger piece somewhere during painting, which annoys the hell out of me. i will see if i can find it again tomorrow (its dark outside)
so, pics and a vid of the "final" suit:

Iron man suit 95% finished - YouTube

Re: you know what this forum needs? another iron man build! 95% done

suiting up alone is kind of crappy, i can get the whole upper body on alone, but legs and boots, thats a different piece of cake.

also, i intend to do that, if all is finished :) undersuit and lightup eyes, especially

some better quality pics and closeup shots with daylight:

still need some oppinions on the battle scar on the abs. should i add more like that or do you think it looks stupid

Awesome work man. The suit's proportions looks really nice.

I'm jealous. I want one to make one of these now.
After watching Avengers so many times now.
I like this suit a lot.

Is this for Halloween cause you're going to pretty much kill it.

halloween, maybe. we do not really have the kind of halloween you have in the us, we have carneval in february, alltho we do have some halloween parties.
will see.
for now, its for display, and hopefully taking it out for a spin soon.

Re: you know what this forum needs? another iron man build! MK VII, 95% done, pics+vi

hey hum you got the paint abs section wrong ; like you painted it gold at the wrong place

Re: you know what this forum needs? another iron man build! MK VII, 95% done, pics+vi

seeing how the whole ab section model isnt totally accurate, i had it as close as possible to the reference material from the avengers

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back