You favorite incarnation of Jason Voorhees?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by cayman shen, Oct 24, 2011.

1. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

With Halloween on the brain, thought I'd ask: what is your favorite version of Jason? The child of part one? The cyborg of part ten? The creepy remake redneck? The imitation Jason of part five?

For the makeup and nostalgia, I'd have to say part seven. But I'm going to have to give my final vote to FvJ Jason. Though I don't like the shiny black skin, I love that his costume went beyond generic coverall, and though I give respect to Kane Hodder where it's due, the FvJ actor gave an air of childishness and tragedy that KH's heaving-thug Jason just couldn't muster. The costume also adds to that child-like aspect, pulling off an almost torn pajama look with its soft fabrics and textures.

I loathed the tightly wrapped, buttoned up Jason of eight. I thought the mask was great in nine, and the remake Jason had a sweaty, grimy realism that hadn't been achieved before to my mind. But like I said, final vote to FvJ.

You?

2. Shadow345

Shadow345 Well-Known Member

Torn between

PT3 (when he first donned the infamous hockey mask)
    PT4: The final chapter (the first major reveal of his grotesque face as an adult)
    PT6: Jason Lives (for the first undead incarnation)

3. Master Dahark

Master Dahark Well-Known Member

Part VII for me. Bones sticking out, teeth visible under the mask- he looks ghastly.
    As for 'pre-zombie' I'd go with 3. That buffoon-ish look, with the shirt 10 sizes too small, lol. It has its charm

4. cayman shen

I suspect 7 will be the most popular...the make-up is top notch. Wierd, but one detail I really love is the knee-cap. I know that's strange, but it looks so cool :lol

5. berger

berger Sr Member

FvJ all the way for me, it just seemed so gritty and real without being over the top with bones and crap sticking out.

6. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Part 3!

7. ChaoBreeder

ChaoBreeder Active Member

FVJ Jacket

8. ewokus

ewokus Well-Known Member

It was ok when Roger Moore took over the role, but no one beats Connery.......... ; )

9. superDrool

superDrool Sr Member

hehe. best rebuttle ever. :lol

For me it was part VII for the longest, but for some reason pt. VIII mask and added extra lake goo has me thinking this is equally awesome for other aspects. Kane Hodder will always be Jason to me. Visceral, imposing and full of purpose...kill teens. ;)

10. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

Part 7 is my favorite Jason. But I did enjoy the remake style.

11. cayman shen

The remake was one of those things where I loved the costume and was bummed that the rest of the movie didn't live up to the design. Of course, others' mileage may vary, but I wasn't nuts about the remake at all. I did totally dig Jason in it though.

12. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

13. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Freddy vs. Jason. I liked the layered look of his clothes and the paint up on the mask.

14. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Part VII all the way. Cane Hodder played him perfectly.

15. agentsmith

agentsmith New Member

freddy vs jason, really liked the mask

16. JasonCash

JasonCash Well-Known Member

anything with Kane as Jason.....

17. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

With the exception of "Space Jason" I thought all were pretty good.
    [​IMG]

18. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

FVJ version.

Kane's a very *very* close second.

19. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You know, I've seen most of them up to probably 5 or 6 but not since they came out in the '80s-'90s.

Honestly I didn't know it was a different costume from movie to movie. Wow, now I know how people feel when I tell/show them the 4 different Darth Vader costumes.

Someone should post a pic of Jason from each movie for us noobs.

20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

For the classic/iconic look, Part VII. For me, Kane Hodder is Jason Voorhees; it's all about the body language. And since Jason kept deteriorating (decomposing?) from one movie to the next, I thought that was about as far as they could take it without body parts falling off.

Running a very close second is the 2009 remake design, in which I thought Derek Mears did a terrific job in a just-okay movie; just as menacing as Hodder, yet made the character his own.

And a very close third goes to the Freddy vs. Jason design, and I thought Ken Kirzinger did a terrific job in the role--reminiscent of Kane Hodder without being a direct imitation.

Focusing strictly on the masks for a moment, for me it's a tie between the Freddy vs. Jason and 2009 remake masks--filthy, nasty, abused, and well-worn. But...as much as I like the iconic Jason in the hockey mask(s), in my opinion the canvas sack mask in Part II was just as effective, and that film gets my vote as the most effectively atmospheric of the series.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  21. cayman shen

The differences in Jason costumes is FAR more dramatic than the differences in Vader costumes; you'd notice now that you're into props and costumes if you didn't 20 years ago. If I have time later I'll post them all.

Reverend Al, I think part 2's end with the mom's head and sweater is one of the best moments of the series.

22. arwa

arwa Well-Known Member

I really like the version in the original Friday the 13th, the one that didn't really exist outside of him being the route cause for the murders. It was more legend than anything.

When he did make his appearance, I liked the version when the bag was over his head. Old school horror...

23. Master Dahark

Master Dahark Well-Known Member

Here- this might make it easier

[​IMG]

24. cayman shen

I forgot how much I liked the X mask...I feel in 2-5 (5 not being Jason of course, but whatever) the overalls and then coveralls are too snug, clean, crisp, etc. 6 and 7 get him appropriately grunged up. 8 continues this, but reverses some damage and is too shiny (I know, wetness, slime, but) and I dislike the mask. The thick neck and realistic skin tone on the remake is really fab. FvJ really nails that big stupid child thing. I like when they really started getting the whispy hair in there more visibly.

Thanks for the assist, Master Dahark!

25. Jordo9998

Jordo9998 New Member

Freddy vs. Jason for me as well

26. Jordo9998

Jordo9998 New Member

remember jason X? looked like it was filmed with a home movie camera lol

27. mmarlon brando

mmarlon brando Active Member

8 is still my favorite. Just endlessly creepy to me as a kid.

28. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Look wise I think part 7 Jason was the most badass. But from a scare factor I think part 4 was the best of them all. When he got whacked in the head with the machete, slid down the blade and then a minute or so later started twitching like he was getting up again... Wow.

29. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Jason running for Pres....He'll kill the competition anyway

30. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Oh, I agree. In my opinion all of the scenes of Ginny and Paul "inspecting" Jason's delapidated, body-part-strewn cabin are effectively creepy, especially when you know people like Ed Gein actually exist.

True, but Jason X had one advantage over all of the previous movies--until that point, it was the only Friday the 13th movie that looked like it had a budget. :lol

31. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I liked him best when he was governor of Minnesota.

What?

32. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I liked his part 7 look the best.

But I enjoyed Jason X in close second. His begining look as well as
    his Cyber look both were really cool!

Hell, I like anything in space.... LOL

33. cayman shen

Wrong J.V., dude! :lol (Although now I'm imagining Predator with Jason on mini-gun. Awesome.)

34. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Well, it'd explain why he doesn't have time to bleed, right? Because he can't be killed!

35. cayman shen

Fortunately Jason is NOT a sexual tyrannosaurus. Not sure I could handle that :confused

36. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

My favorite is the Part 6 Jason. That is probably the best movie with the hockey mask Jason. And it doesn't even have nudity. Although, I always thought I was watching a cut version of the van scene but it turns out the girl always wore a shirt.

37. Bmaga123

Bmaga123 Member

My top 3 in order ar Part 3, Part 4, Part 7

38. Ford W Maverick

Ford W Maverick Well-Known Member

7 without a doubt. A close second is FvsJ. The pre-cyberized version from X was pretty cool too.

39. bambam123

bambam123 New Member

I loved the Part 3 costume.