YODA SILK NOIL Question

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Cyberman, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Guys,

I recently ordered a batch of Silk noil from www.thaisilks.com having ordered off them before. Unfortunately the fabric I received was nothing like the weave pattern of the orginal order dispite using the same code and the fabric was as i wanted on the pictures. i called them up and they suggested no consignment is the same... however this weave is about 1/3rd the thickness of the original stuff I bought off them. I think they're trying to pull a fast one on me.

Does anyone know where else i can buy this type of fabric pictured below??

2. MaulWalker

MaulWalker Sr Member

Look for silk tussah or silk matka.

Lynn

3. Cyberman

Hmmm looks like the wrong stuff, Lynn...

Found a company in the UK that suppies Silk Noil.. Its a type of fabric that is very course and hard to crease and bobbles up like the original fabric used to.

[​IMG]

4. Cyberman

Just received a sample of the latest fabic - a type of Silk noil from a company called ** @2%6& ** .... sorry don't want someone finding out and bulk buying the lot to use for their own project ;)

[​IMG]
    Image 1:1 scaled.... The top sample is the new stuff and the bottom the old.

5. paplooo

paplooo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

any luck finding the fabric? im in the market as well...

6. Darth Mule

Darth Mule Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would second Maul Walker's suggestion. Your "noil" looks more like a tussah. The third swatch is far more common for a noil.
    Noil is basically a fancy term for raw silk. It's made up of the leftovers from the production of other silk fabrics. That's why it looks like it does. The texture IS rough, but seldom as loosely woven and heavily threaded as what is pictured in your first swatch.
    Tussahs are very similar in weave to a noil, but with a heavier hand to the weave.
    This isn't to say it couldn't marketed as either, because not all fabric merchants know their product.