Yoda 1:1 buildup

natty15d

The other week i desperately needed a break from a few projects that had been ongoing for some time.
I really needed a a project where i would see some quick results so i dug out the yoda kit i bought a couple of years ago.

The head was slush cast in polyurethane resin & was VERY thick in places.
Took an hour or so to sand out the eyes and shape them inside to take the eyeballs.
Then the ears were superglued in place, then drilled & pinned. The joint between the ears & the head was then filled with milliput & blended in.
There was also a bit of a seam line on the back of the head from the mold so that was partially sanded down & then filled & blended with milliput.

The head has been sprayed with automotive acrylic filler primer & is curing for a week or so before i start painting.
Im going to make some hands & feet for the little guy as well and attempt to make a posable version. you can just see the wire armatures in the bottom left of the pic. The hands and feet have been scaled to match the size of the sculpt from refference pics to keep it all in scale.

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Apr 8 2006, 01:06 AM
I can assure you that -- with the correct green -- that yellow ocher color basecoat will work phenomenally...
[snapback]1222210[/snapback]​

thats what i was thinking too as the yodas that have been displayed are starting to peel and you can see a very similar shade under the green.

This is going to be a bit of trial & error on the painting though as ive never painted a 1:1 piece before.

Nathan :)

latest update.

using the few refference pics that are avaliable for Yodas screen used hands i scaled the originals to match the size of the Yoda head sculpt.

the hands are being sculpted in clay with a wire armature.
so far the left hand has been sculpted to be proportionatly correct and will be refined and detailed once the right hand is in the same state.

Fantastic job so far. The hands are looking great as well and I can't wait to see them further refined. Your sculpting skills are immpressive. R U going to have a cloth robe set made for him?

WOW Nathan...you´re inspiring me :)

I won a CKING Yoda with custom hands and feet about two weeks ago and started working on it. My kits feet look good but the hands are a bit oversized IMO.

I´ll be on vacation for the next 3-4 weeks but will get back to my Yoda after it. Hope to get some input and profit from your experiences my friend ;)

Later, Markus

the hands have been shaped and the nails added.

came up with a cheep way of making the nails.
Used some plastic spoons, drew on the outline of the nail, trimmed it to shape with a Nibbler and sanded the edges. ill add texture to the nails later

the hands are having viens added and im starting to attempt to texturise the skin.

Also temporarily installed eyes into the bust, the eyeless sockets were freakin me out LOL

Man, this is looking great. What a ingenious way to fabricate the nails. The hands are looking awesome. It is looking more and more like our "Little green friend :angry " everyday.

the little guys almost finished now

since taking the pics i have weathered the nails, the outer robe and started to redo the canes handle. also redid the flute, had to repostion the hoops on the side, reapint it copper, weather and patina it and add a thin leather cord.

need to weather down the inner robe as well

[attachmentid=10516]

[attachmentid=10517]

I said it once, I say it twice...that is one MIGHTY FINE buildup of a CKING Yoda.
You´ve captured a lot of details and the paintjob looks incredible.

AWESOME WORK Nathan :):thumbsup

Markus

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Oct 12 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]1336771[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(natty15d @ Oct 12 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]1336707[/snapback]
[attachmentid=10517]
[/b]
I really like this picture. Almost looks like he's just made a joke and is chuckling over it...
[/b][/quote]

Maybe he just pooped in Luke's lunch pail :lol

-Fred

:thumbsup Excellent job... I want one :love
Very inventive on the nails, I used those long costume fingernails I found at a costume shop and used them as a base to sculpt on.
Again, this is a beautiful piece :thumbsup

Ely

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back