Yet even MORE Studio Scale TIE Progress Pics!

jvasilatos

Sr Member
Building up the TIE Wings with Koolshade are a real b*tch... but the result is well worth it. Here are the wings with the H-Beam edges and the styrene center sandwiched between the 12 triangle sections of Koolshade (6 on each side) prior to the addition of the "star" frames...

WING_BUILDUP.jpg

And here are the wings finished to show the detail:

FINISHED_WINGS.jpg

And some differing angle views showing how thick they are once finished:

WING_VIEWS.jpg

Next, detailing the cockpit now that the electronics wiring issues were resolved. Cutting the line masks to paste to the light sheet just about made me blind. But you can see how they are meant to get as close as I could to the practical cockpit set and the back wall I scratchbuilt that will show behind the pilot. And also a view into the cockpit from the back showing how crammed it gets in there with all that's needed just to light the engines and the light sheet panel:

COCKPIT_PANELS.jpg

Finally... some shots showing how close I could get to trying to copy what the cockpit looks like in the films. I think the pilot is the right scale, however because the bottom of the hull is only cored out so deep, he sits very high. I will probably have to cut him from the knees down to drop him deeper into place, as much as I hate to do that... unless I get a smaller pilot. Steve said he now has pilots the right scale, so I am going to see if his fits in better.

COCKPIT_DETAIL.jpg

HULL_COCKPIT.jpg

I am going to do some extra superdetailing in the cockpit now on the top hatch along with some hoses and other greeblies before sealing it up (also waiting to see if the alternate pilot fits better). Then I will also have a small square of lightsheet on the dashboard facing the pilot to add some light on him as well that will be able to be seen from the front.

That's it for now. Attaching the wings comes next and final pictures will be posted soon.

JV

Wow. JV those hero Wings are fantastic. I cant wait till my new molds can pop those puppies out faster. Also I took liberty with one of your pictures to show you the 1/24 scale (correct) TIE Pilot Dan G. sculpted. Frank C. made the molds and I have some castings of botht he standing and sitting figure. I am going to send you the pair.

146687706.jpg

146687683.jpg

146687756.jpg

This smaller figure takes up less soom in the cockpit looks more like the Harrier pilot thats in the original.

Once again great clean work on the wings my friend.
Steve

That is looking wonderful JV, those wings look gorgeous, beats the hell outta me ive let this kit slide past me really. Thanks for sharing......lee

Ah yes... he would definitely take up less space and fit better... thanks for sending him along. I guess the larger one I have was good practice for painting.

JV

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the build-up pics. I wanted to create something I felt would look as nice as a studio model with the added display model features of a lit cockpit. I don't know why Icons skimped when they did the TIE with no cockpit detail, hell even the Code 3 Vader TIE has some really nice detail in it (as well as being a beautiful display piece), but it's nice to be able to modify Steve's improved TIE with something unique (plus something that does not need someone experienced at weathering to complete right.)

Next up I will be working on a studio scale Batwing, depending on how the pieces go together, I may attempt the wing lights and add some to the cockpit as well.

JV

Amazing..

Your cockpit is looking really good - going the distance really pays off.

Seeing these pics make the wait for my hero wings all the more painful - Steeeevveeeeeee.

:lol

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ May 15 2006, 06:53 AM) [snapback]1244529[/snapback]</div>
Seeing these pics make the wait for my hero wings all the more painful - Steeeevveeeeeee.

:lol
[/b]

I second that.. (Steeeevveeeeeee.) :lol

I am SO HAPPY I ordered the Hero, now that I see those wings..

Amazing stuff.

Men, your screams are not going unheard. Believe you me I hear you. The molds for the HERO wings are being redone. I was losing 32 oz of resin to make a 8 oz part. I am trying a tried and true Mike Slazo method of molding on the new wings. Very confident it will turn out.

Lets enjoy JV's build thread and you guys can email or call if you want to talk about your wings.

That Batwing is gonna Rock JV.

Steeeeeeevveee

<div class='quotetop'>(swpropmaker @ May 14 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]1244157[/snapback]</div>
Wow. JV those hero Wings are fantastic. I cant wait till my new molds can pop those puppies out faster. Also I took liberty with one of your pictures to show you the 1/24 scale (correct) TIE Pilot Dan G. sculpted. Frank C. made the molds and I have some castings of botht he standing and sitting figure. I am going to send you the pair.

146687706.jpg

146687683.jpg

146687756.jpg

This smaller figure takes up less soom in the cockpit looks more like the Harrier pilot thats in the original.

Once again great clean work on the wings my friend.
Steve
[/b]
hi steve how can i get a set of those tie fighter pilots?
Thanks
Mark

Excellent work jvasilatos...

Great attention to details.

Icons didn't do anything to the interior because it simply would have taken more R&D
and more $$$ in the end.

I got Steve's new pilot today, sheesh yeah, it's a much more accurate scale than the one I had from the cockpit kit. Now I'm going to paint it and get this thing finished up.

Thanks Steve.

JV

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back