Yet another Vampire Killing Kit - Blomberg style

DARTH SABER

Master Member
So after making my first VKK a few months back, I decided to make another one more faithful to the Professor Blomberg style kits which are scattered through out museums around the world.
The last Vamp kit I made was pretty much the idealized version of the ultimate VKK. It had pretty much every possible tool every mentioned for killing vampires. I basically tossed in everything but the kitchen sink....WHich resulted in a large and cumbersome vampire kit which wasn't really practical and style wasn't faithful to the Blomberg style vampire kits seen in museums.
I really wish I had made my first kit much smaller.

This time around I wanted something more accurate to the popular Blomberg kits. This new kit is much smaller, utilizes space much better, has less tools and incorporates mortise hinges with flat head screws (which was accurate during the 19th century.) THe placement of the items is also more in line with the placement found in the Blomberg kits.

THe new kit measures 10" X 7 1/8" X 3"

FInding the right looking box is much harder that it would seem.
Has to be just the right size, right style, not too gaudy, and not too plain, right type of hinges, slightly weathered, not too expensive, and not flimsy.
I spent about a week looking and finally I came across this box which I picked up for about 30$.

BsjYD9wCWkKGrHqQH-DIEvB95U86KBL4WiD1u1Q_3.jpg

vampbox2.jpg

vampbox3.jpg

Keep in mind the photos above must have been taken in some kind of flourescent lighting because the box looks like a dull brown. In standard indoor lighting the box actrually has a nice reddish rich tone, similar to the pics below. (Although the pics below are just slightly saturated. I wanted that 1940's technicolor magazine photo look.)
After the box arrived I needed to do some minor customizing.
I ripped out the velvet lining, and the dividers...Sanded down the residue that was left from the lining adhesive.
I didn't like the leatherish padding on the top or the crest. So I removed all that stuff including the entire board backing on the top lid and replaced it with different wood and stained it Red Oak.
I went ahead and added simple crucifix design for the top lid.
vampkitb1.jpg

I then went ahead and created my own dividers using wood strips sold at my local arts and crafts store. I had to measure everything out to make sure I used the most amount of space possible.
THis time around I included a small European replica pocket flintlock gun (I was looking for a replica percussion gun but couldn't find one that would fit in the kit....Since this is a flintlock I didn't have to worry about adding percussion caps to the kit).
The gun originally came with an ornate design carved into the handle...I didn't like it so I sanded it off.
vampkitb2.jpg

Some of the parts I used were left over from my previous kit (bottles, some wood, lead shots, etc.
I actually cannibalized a few parts from my previous kit (powder flask, Rosary beads, bible....Ill eventually be getting parts to put back into the original kit again).
vampkitb3.jpg

I got lucky and happened to find another syringe which was virtually identical to the one I used in my last kit -
vampkitb4.jpg

vampkitb5.jpg

One of the problems I had was label for the kit. Most of the blomberg labels have a unique trademark filigree border around the text. I trie dmy hardest to find a hi-res image of this filigree design but eventually I had to recreate it by hand.
vampkitb6.jpg

vampkitb7.jpg

vampkitb8.jpg

THis small kit was pretty much a breeze to make (Unlike the last one, which was a nightmare.)....Once all the parts were in hand the whole thing probably took up about 24 hours worth of time spread over the course of two weeks.

Here are some other samples of the supposedly "authentic" Blomberg style kits which reside in museums -

kit_16.jpg

vampire-killing-kit7.jpg

Vampire-Killing-Kit-26.jpg

VKK5.jpg

vampire-kit-sothebys-sold-for-72k-n08305-22-lr-1.jpg

maker-1-sothebys-apr-07-lot-23-sale-n08305.jpg

091207_vamp2.jpg

44b1c3.gif

vampire-killing-kit04.jpg

vampire-killing-kit-5.jpg

Vampire-Killing-Kit-17.jpg

Unbelievable work, Pat! The weathering is fantastic, and the detailing is incredible. 'Looks like you did a great job replicating look of the original kit. Very nicely done!

Sean

I wonder about the "real" kits. The labels are often torn and aged. How does a label in the lid of a closed box that contains items that never got used(no vampires) get in such a rough state?

Your kit looks great, the aging really brings out the look of true used vintage kit.

Well done! I like that you kept the weathering subtle. Nothing I hate more than the "kits" that look like someone threw dirt on them. They're closed boxes, wear and tear is going to be minimal and more concentrated on the items!

Several years ago, there was a "real" kit for sale at an antique store here. I've been gathering up stuff to make a kit since forever, but it always gets pushed to the background. You've inspired me to play some more.

The only suggestion I would make is with the wooden compartment covers and the stake. The wood just doesn't look old enough. I'd probably make felt covers for the drawers instead of the wood, and then redo the stake with an old tool handle from a flea market, or you could artifically age the wood before staining. I played with some wood aging techniques here: Curious Goods » Blog Archive » Aging wood.

SHOW OFF!!! lol...

Looks awesome, bookmarking this post for sure. I could see this one displayed in a museum easily. Great find on the box. I wish more people would post prices they paid for things. I love seeing people paying very little for something that they turn into a work of art like this is.

That looks great. I have made two myself over the years, but anytime money got short, I
unloaded them. I always end up regretting it!!

Turned out great, Pat! :thumbsup I really dig the stake and the bible.

Yeah, I stole the bible from the other kit...I need to find a replacement.

BTW, I stumbled upon another perfect box for a kit...Snatched it up on Ebay. Im not actually planning on making another one of these anytime soon, but at least I wont have to do a week-long search on Ebay for a box if I do decide to make another one.

SHOW OFF!!! lol...

Looks awesome, bookmarking this post for sure. I could see this one displayed in a museum easily. Great find on the box. I wish more people would post prices they paid for things. I love seeing people paying very little for something that they turn into a work of art like this is.

Thanks man.

The box was 30$
Syringe was about $20-$30 (cant remember what it was with shipping)
Bottles were left over from my last kit (got a set of 5 larger bottles and 10 little ones for about $12)
Gun was about $30
Powder Flask (which I stole form my last kit and need to replace) was about $30
Lead bullets were about $10 (Had left overs from last kit)
Vintage bible was about $20 (Also taken from last kit)
Rosary Beads - $10
Adhesive velvet $12 for a roll (had some left over from last kit)
Wood parts - 20$ (some left over from last kit)
wood Stain - $10 (Left5 over from last kit)

Yeah, I stole the bible from the other kit...I need to find a replacement.

BTW, I stumbled upon another perfect box for a kit...Snatched it up on Ebay. Im not actually planning on making another one of these anytime soon, but at least I wont have to do a week-long search on Ebay for a box if I do decide to make another one.

Yeah, I'm back on the hunt for 2 boxes....and I think I found them! I think I'm gonna go with my "working man's" version first. :thumbsup

Great job! and fantastic pics!
I've got an antique screw barrel pistol I was trying to find a plan for. In fact I've probably got "everything" needed except the bible! (the last one that entered my house burst into flames!):angry:lol

I am soooo loving the Vampire Killing Killing Kits! Can we start saying "VKK"? Great job, looks really authentic.

Very cool design! Looks like it fits in perfectly with the old Blomberg style ones.

One of these days I am going to have to make one of these. I have the little parts, and some ideas, but no woodworking experience. This might be the kind of project to get me off my duff and let me start learning about woodcraft :)

Chris

Very cool design! Looks like it fits in perfectly with the old Blomberg style ones.

One of these days I am going to have to make one of these. I have the little parts, and some ideas, but no woodworking experience. This might be the kind of project to get me off my duff and let me start learning about woodcraft :)

Chris

I don't really have any woodworking experience either.
I just used a dremmel cutting wheel, a couple of files, some sandpaper, a drill and wood glue.
It's actually a pretty easy project.

Hydin, wood is deceptively easy to work with, and besides, it's cheap. If you mess up, it's forgiving, and worst comes to worst, you're out a fraction of what you would be with resin or metal. Dive in and see what happens.

These are really cool. I kind of want one of these now.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back