Yet another Captain America Shield

drakeprimeone

Hey all, this is my first thread and attempt to put together any sort of prop. I've been a huge Captain America fan ever since reading "Ultimates" and came to appreciate a more modern look on the character.

I am in no way a prop builder like many of the talented people on this forum, just a guy inspired enough to give this a shot.

I want to give credit to those of you who were nice enough to help me via PM particularly Valor with his star and his great WIP thread. :thumbsup

So I started out by ordering the essential pieces.
The Star from Valor at 10" and a shield blank off of Ebay.

IMAG0017.jpg

While waiting for the blank and star to come in I started work on the brackets using Valor's WIP as a guide. I deviated a bit on some of the materials such as the leather and some of the bolt heads but all the essential pieces and dimensions were followed. I wanted to add that I did not have access to any power cutting tools so I cut everything by hand using a utility knife (SUPER PIA). Once I got the technique down things started coming faster...
IMAG0023.jpg

A bit of cosmetic additions to the brackets and they were ready for attaching to the shield. I used the outdoor mounting tape as opposed to JB weld and it really does hold well.
IMAG0024.jpg

The thing I will try to add to the shield is a back pack style strap system. I initially wanted to incorporate the "> <" shape into the straps however I have come to learn that in order to keep the straps from sliding off my shoulders, they need to have a traditional back pack shape. So I will most likely add a bracket near the top middle of the shield and formulate a way to snap them down when not being worn. I found a couple really nice straps that should work.
IMAG0026.jpg

I'm starting my work week so painting will have to wait until Wed.
I did have a couple questions to those who have already finished their shields.

1. Best way to clean off fingerprints? I've tried lacquer thinner but no luck.
2. I've seen some of you who painted the entire blue area before adding their star and some who blocked off an area for the star. Is one way better than the other or does it matter?

Thanks guys and wish me luck!

For fingerprints (and other oils) I used as pure an acetone as I could find. Did a pretty good job. Also, wear gloves when handling the shield so you can avoid more prints.

For painting the blue ring, its better to leave some area unpainted so you get a good metal to metal bond when attaching the star. To do this, I traced around my star onto paper, then cut about a quarter inch off all sides. This left enough bare metal for a good bond, while making sure the blue covered the surrounding area.

Good luck with the rest! Its looking great so far :thumbsup

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin, yea the blank came in while I was sleeping and the wife opened it before I woke up. Luckily the prints are only on the inside of the shield..

Here we have pre gloss coat with Valor's star laying on the shield. I wanted a bit darker blue and red so its no exactly movie accurate
IMAG0031.jpg

I was fortunate enough that my wife's cousin has an autobody shop so he did me a solid and laid an automotive grade gloss coat on it. I have to say it looked great. The coat is slightly on the heavy side however it has the same coating protection as a car :)

Here is the finished product with Valor star attached
DSC03624.jpg

Last edited:
Overall I am very satisfied with my first attempt at making a replica shield. I do want to add that I had to start over with the paint job once as I didn't paint in the grooves clean enough and I ended up jacking the paint job in my attempt to fix it.

I have yet to attach a back pack system as I am waiting for an epiphany on how I want the design to look before I start cutting out a bracket system for it.

I want to thank everyone who helped me out with tips and answering my questions, particularly Valor with his great advice and his WIP shield thread!

Hey im new to prop building and everything andi was wondering how you attach the straps and star to the shield. Your shield looks amazing btw aha

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back