Yet another Blade Runner Snub Nosed blaster - not from scratch really

Borjaider

As a longtime Blade Runner fan, I was enamored by Dan Goldberg's design. Taking up this hobby again thanks to the lockup, I decided to make myself one modelling it in NX from scratch, then 3d printing it, and probably trying a resin mold for the first time. Shame that there are no .stl of Dan's original one available, or even the instructions manual, but hey, the thrill of hunting pics and guessing measures would be gone!

I have just started and will update this thread in case someone is interested. Once finished I will put the .stl files on Thingiverse for your pleasure.

Behold about 10 hours of work:

marco.JPG

Left cylinder that I finally got right although not exactly the way I wanted. It turns out it's closer to the original blaster this way:

aaaaaaahhhhhhh.JPG

----------

One relevant update: I have definitely misjudged the amount of free time that I would have under a partial lockdown, so modelling it from scratch is unfortunately not an option as I would like to finish this project before I die.

On the good side, I have discovered Blender! Why did it take me so long? I can edit .stl files and scale them down for the gun, finally. I believe Dan Goldberg did something similar. Once I get some Blender basics in my brain, I will keep going on that path.

-----------

I also plan on making a derringer style travel case for it:

IMG_20201110_110944_640x480.jpg

Whatever happens, I'm having a lot of fun already.

Last edited:
So still a bit rough in the edges, but some steps ahead:

cap1.JPG

I modeled some parts and modified other ones as I don't have the time, patience, and probably skill to just model all them from scratch! I'm still fiddling a bit with some shapes and proportions. I want to make it look powerful rather than stocky, thus the new (yellow) clip holder, but not steering away too much from the original gun. If you guys have any ideas or suggestions, shoot!

Also, considering the price of prints, I might invest on a cheap 3d printer as I will probably need several iterations to get some shapes right, apart from shrinkage issues that need to be considered. I would love to start sculpting some parts, but due to the pandemic lockdown my little workshop is off limits. FML.

Last edited:
Looks good from where I stand. I understand that you're trying to make it look powerful rather than stocky, but did you try to make the protruding piece at the bottom of the clip holder(yellow) go up to the blue part (Steyr) and make a trench for lights at the side of said piece toward the front of the gun? That could be interesting in terms of look...just my 2 cents ;)

The seller of this kit is a member here, you could directly ask him.

rgriesbeck

That is great to know. I think i am going to pick up one of these kits now. I always get a little sketched out buying 3D prints off Etsy because I am never sure if they are just someone selling a print of someone else's model/work or if they are the maker themselves.
Thanks for the info.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back