Yes, another Diamond Select TOS phaser toy-to-prop-replica conversion.

As I pointed out in the auction thread, last year, the sloppy (re)paintjob on the Jein hero doesn't match screencaps, which indicate that the heroes actually looked pretty clean, at least initially.

Of course, many scammers have sloppily painted their forgeries to try and get that "authentic" look. But the TOS props look very clean, onscreen.
I always thought they looked pristine, but then again I was told mine looked that way also, and I know it's not.
It's possible that amateurs tried to 'fix up' the Jein hero before he came into possession of it....
And that the cameras just didn't show the original on set imperfections in the 60's.
This is where art comes in: we make what we saw, what we think we saw, or what we wanted to see. It's all good.

Last edited:
Three down. I'm hoping the 89 line launcher is next.
View attachment 1497178

I always thought they looked pristine, but then again I was told mine looked that way also, and I know it's not. It's possible that amateurs tried to 'fix up' the Jein hero before he came into possession of it.... and that the cameras just didn't show the original on set imperfections in the 60's. This is where art comes in: we make what we saw, what we think we saw, or what we wanted to see. It's all good.

Yeah, it can get pretty abstract when it comes to just what you're replicating. Like thinking about how to finish the portside of a model of the TOS Enterprise, or deciding whether or not to replicate the Sharpie knurling on the Han Solo Hoth blaster, instead of having real knurling.

You must have seen this already, eh?

Of course!

And, when I built my own Denix ANH, I wrestled with certain details. I ended up installing two complete pushrods and a piece of T-track for the sight. Slightly idealized.

In the case of TOS phasers, each of the heroes has its unique tells and details. I went with the TMOST/Finney look for my HMS and hero builds, but I also built a static P1 with the Nona-style red gem.

And I also built a second HMS P1 with no gem and rounded crispy corners (Jein hero style). I prefer the squared crispy to the rounded, since the latter was obviously a production compromise, rather than a stylistic choice.

Last edited:
Of course!

And, when I built my own Denix ANH, I wrestled with certain details. I ended up installing two complete pushrods and a piece of T-track for the sight. Slightly idealized.

In the case of TOS phasers, each of the heroes has its unique tells and details. I went with the TMOST/Finney look for my HMS and hero builds, bit I also built a static P1 with the Nona-style red gem.

And I also built a second HMS P1 with no gem and rounded crispy corners (Jein hero style). I prefer the squared crispy to the rounded, since the latter was obviously a production compromise, rather than a stylistic choice.
Funny, I grew up reading TMOST and just assumed the crispy was squared off all the time, except for that one anomaly Lincoln Enterprises viewer image of a mid grade from Omega Glory. Come blu ray time I realized it was more the norm than the exception. And I actually LIKE the rounded corners. But only on squared off bases. This is what Wand got really wrong for me. Well, and the handle thickness...

Last edited:
The wonder and magic in his voice when he says “… you’re delving into an area of esoterica and specificity…” is SO electric! When he transforms into a kid again for that second I just have to start laughing too! Man THIS is what it’s all about
certainly a feel-good moment. love it!

certainly a feel-good moment. love it!
Well, I finished today. Handle done & painted. This is MY feel good moment!
IMG_20220704_180501.jpg
IMG_20220704_180125.jpg
IMG_20220704_180219_1.jpg
IMG_20220704_180838.jpg
IMG_20220704_180146.jpg

On a Facebook modeling page I got a guy from the UK saying we're all too fussy, and that the actual hero props were painted by hand with brushes. He says we make them look like idealized versions... which certainly made me feel better about mine! LOL I'm happy with the little imperfections; I even painted the screws for the bottom plate half-assed to give them that slightly worn look (Pictures tomorrow after it all dries).
And what's wrong with idealized? ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back