Yellowjacket (Ant-Man 2015) Progress.

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Creator1326, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Creator1326

Creator1326 Well-Known Member

A few pics. This is going to be a quick build. If it wasn't for the SDCC pics/videos of the Sideshow Collectibles statue I'd be up a creek right now.

Here's the fabric I had made.

It's just yellow spandex with a gold vinyl pressed onto it. The hexagons were scaled up from the statue (via pictures)
    FABRIC!!!.jpg FABRIC CLOSEUP!!!.jpg

I've been using Sintra to make the backpack for the robotic arms. I made a model/pattern out of poster paper first.
    backpack paper.jpg

I then used a Foamwerks bevel cutter to cut "v" groves in the sintra.
    making grooves.jpg

Next came the vent details. Just cut and layered them in a cut out hole.
    backpack more details.jpg

Ahh the gluing...my fingers to everything
    Backpack gluing.jpg Backpack gluing patching seams.jpg Backpack gluing done.jpg

2. Creator1326

The hub on the backpack will light up too. I layered three 3mm pieces of Sintra and then sanded them down on my bench belt sander and cut out the hexagon hole with my scroll saw.
    backpack hump cutting.jpg

Then used some clear resin and a small black sintra hexagon to make the window. Just a high brightness 3mm yellow LED to light it up.
    backpack hump clear resin back.jpg backpack hump clear resin yellow.jpg

George and Jmen like this.
  3. Creator1326

I'm scared to make a giant mold for the black details on the chest. I at least have it worked out on paper and it "fit" me so for right now this is the plan. Make a mold out of Sintra by carving/grinding in the details and use Smooth-on PMC-121 wet urethane rubber for the actual piece that will be glued to the fabric.
    chest pattern.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Jmen likes this.
  4. VinMan

VinMan Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow awesome start ill be following this build

Creator1326 likes this.
  5. Creator1326

Working on more patterns today before I go over to my seamstresses house so she can teach me to sew. These are the patterns for the knee plate and the long side thing on the calf.
    leg and knee patterns.JPG

6. Creator1326

Also, popped out the pattern for the yellow applique on the side of the leg.
    Leg applique pattern.JPG

7. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Awesome work! What are you plans for the helmet?

8. Creator1326

In theory petg dyed yellow. Sintra or worbla for the black part. I plan to edge light a second petg lense on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogleo likes this.
  9. Creator1326

So my friend Christie had the brilliant idea to baste stitch around the outside edges of the yellow "stripe" that goes down the legs. Then we cut the black down, tuck it under and sew down edge so it looks like the yellow is under the black.
    pants starting.JPG pants 1:2 done.jpg

10. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks awesome

Creator1326 likes this.
  11. Creator1326

FANCY PANTS done! Yellowjacket's pants are done. Not pictured are the stirrups we added to keep them pulled down. Now I can finish making/printing the armor bits since I have an exact fit now. FYI, sewing two different materials of different percentages of stretch is a booger.
    pants front.JPG pants left.JPG pants right.JPG

George and Sporkey like this.
  12. Creator1326

Instead of using a zillion pins my friend had the brilliant idea of just using a little rubber cement to glue down each of the folds on this four way stretch faux leather.
    sleeves gluing.JPG

Two sleeves took four hours of sewing, pinning, picking, gluing, and swearing. If we had a swear jar, we'd be halfway to Disneyland.
    sleeves done.JPG

sleeves done.JPG

sleeves gluing.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Sporkey likes this.
  13. rockeagle2001

rockeagle2001 Well-Known Member

Good start! Looking forward for more

Creator1326 likes this.
  14. Creator1326

Sleeves are a little tight. They were supposed to have a 5/8" seam, that's now going to be 1/4". We also need to add some zippers in the forearm again, curse my big hands and medium wrists :-/
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Creator1326

Well, the fabric part of the body suit is done, time to get cracking on the shoes, finish the knees, gloves, chest rubber bits, and do a helmet in 12 days. Ya I got this <major anxiety>
    DONE!!!.jpg

Here's what it looks like with sun shining on it.
    [video]https://youtu.be/2Nqs6Fmc2sE[/video]

Attached Files:

George likes this.
  16. sjorsjo91

sjorsjo91 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You really do wear a yellow jacket in these pics ;)
    I really hope you get this done in time, I really like your approach to the costume.
    Looking forward to your next update!

Creator1326 likes this.
  17. Creator1326

After a few months I gave up trying to design my own helmet. I commissioned DrumGuy560 to design it for me and he has done a wonderful job and you should check out his Antman helmet. It's is stunning.

12307438_1641338109449405_7967142096405538638_o.jpg

I'm also starting to 3D print the model. I'm working with a new filament type too called nGen from Colorfabb. I'm having issues with temp, flow, bed temp, and I think the printer needs a whole new calibration but the first print isn't all that half bad. Below is the mouthpiece.

Mouth_web.jpg

18. Creator1326

Got the lower part of the helmet printed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  19. drumguy560

drumguy560 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks great!

20. Creator1326

Thanks, it was a ton of tweaking on the printer to get it to come out so nicely. Currently printing 1/2 of the top part of the outside of the helmet. Going to need lots of filament :) Also got the lower bridge piece printed too.

21. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So far, everything looks great! Keep up the good work!

Transhuman325 and Creator1326 like this.
  22. Wearenotlinear

Wearenotlinear Well-Known Member

23. Creator1326

What you see is 75-ish hours of printing. What you don't see (and hear) is the cursing from the few mounds of "spaghetti" that I made. All I can say is that the weak/tiny supports that the slicer ‪Cura‬ makes leave much to be desired. I tried all sorts of tweaks to thicken them up but it was still aggravating. Some of them are so thin I had to use blue tape to reinforce them and super glue them to the blue tape on the print bed. Ugh.
    Helmet-Test-Assembled.jpg
    Test assembled outer helmet parts. There are four parts to the gray part.

Helmet-inner.jpg
    Inner helmet. This has yellow lenses inside and outside of it.

helmet-outer-bottom-front-on-printer-loose-support.jpg helmet-outer-bottom-front-on-printer.jpg
    A slight wiggled support caused some stringiness on one side. Right above the blue tape. Nothing a dremel and epoxy can't fix.

Helmet-inner-on-printer.jpg
    Inner helmet on printer. Look at those stupid weak support Cura produced! I had to tape them to the middle of the chin support so they didn't fall over.

24. Creator1326

Taping pieces together and test fitting. It's fairly fitted so I had to cut some scoops out of the black bottom piece so my monkey ears would fit lol
    Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 5.21.54 PM.png

The "U" shaped piece is the bottom side of the lower part of the helmet. You can see where I used a hot knife to scoop out some crescent shaped sections so my ears would fit. I could have made the alteration in the model but since it's on the bottom I didn't feel it was necessary.
    Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 5.22.14 PM.png

Patching some rough sport by building it up then I'll coat it and sand it all down and repeat until smooth.

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 5.21.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 5.22.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 5.22.29 PM.png

George, Jmen and Sporkey like this.
  25. Ikras

Ikras Active Member

Looking great. I always seem to forget taking into account my ears when making helmets too. Fitted is always a better look though. Good solution to get the extra space.

Creator1326 likes this.
  26. medic2410p

medic2410p Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your helmet looks great. What are you going to use for the transparent/translucent parts?

27. Creator1326

Runs now I'm looking at 3D printing out the lenses, which I'll build up a base under, and then either vacuum form or just heat form a thin piece of PETG over it and then cut to size. The trick is I have to make the 3D part slightly smaller so the actual part won't be over sized.

28. Creator1326

I'm considering putting a rubber flap on the bottom of the helmet to cover up the ear cutouts. Haven't totally decided though.

29. Creator1326

Resin coating pieces of the helmet with Smooth-On's XTC. YES I know there are cheaper alternatives. I've had this stuff for a while and I'm just trying to use it up.
    Helmet-parts-resin-coated.jpg

When resin coating I always keep a few toothpicks handy so I can clean out details. I also don't like foam brushes because they tend to soak up the resin. I use disposable bristle brushes because i can very easily clean out details and back brush the resin as it sets to clean out any resin that may pool. Loving the painters triangles, those babies are handy.
    helmet-parts-resin-cleaning-out.jpg

I also use a super sharp chisel to clean off support material and fine tune the fit of some parts. Even though it's 3D printed and it may not have warped sometimes a close shave will fix things because nothing is perfect.
    helmet-chiseling-off-support-material.jpg

Fixed a support wobble that caused the piece under the white Apoxie sculpt to be offset about 1/16 of an inch. I dremeled off the stringy bits and then filled in with Apoxie. I wish the stuff didn't take 24hrs to dry :-/
    Helmet-fixing-print-with-apoxie.jpg

Sporkey likes this.
  30. Creator1326

helmet painting 1.jpg
    Started to paint the inner helmet and mouthpiece and then realized the inner part is missing some textures

helmet inner additions.jpg
    So using some 1mm, 2mm (two 1mm pieces) and some 3mm sintra I made the textures for the inner helmet

helmet inner additions 1.jpg
    Heat shaped and super glued in place and clamped for an hour or so. Used a little Apoxie sculpt to cover up the inner edges where you see my hand.

helmet shells painted.jpg
    Painted up in gloss black enamel. Still need to weather it some, this was more of a test fitting.

chest-texture-process.jpg
    Also working on the chest piece. I think this entire method is just going to be a false start. I think I'm going to just make the entire mold in 3D, print it out as a negative to save some steps including walls and other flat spots and then cast it in silicone.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  31. drumguy560

drumguy560 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Have you considered using silicone or puff paint through a silk screen to get your textures? I know that's how they get a lot of texture on fabric for movies. You could design the pattern in photoshop and then have it screen printed. Just a thought! Helmet's looking rad though!

32. Creator1326

Thanks drumguy560. I've considered that but as you know this thing was all CGI and the models and video references show a dimensional thickness to this black part. I think I'm still on the molding bandwagon.

33. Creator1326

I built a Vacuum former with my friend TJ. It's based on the model built by Volpin Props on Instructables. I did the heater box and frame and TJ made the vacuum platen. We used it to make a set of the outer lenses. Still have to do a little shaping on them to fit them to the outer helmet then dye and glue (or screw?) them in. I made them just a little bigger on the edges so I could heat them up and force it into the shape of the helmet edge (in theory).

IMG_4312.JPG

Yodamann and Sporkey like this.
  34. Creator1326

Test fitting the 0.080" PETG vacuum formed lenses. I left them a little big but that left the curved sides intact so I just need to heat up the edges and flatten them. Then I can dye them attach 'em and then fully assemble this thing. Ugh.
    Helmet_lense_test.jpg

35. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Oh baby. This thing is looking incredible :)

36. Creator1326

Using conductive adhesive foil tape so I don't have to tape down messy wires.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458533486.621287.jpg

Covered them in electrical tape. Note the extra piece where they cross so they don't short out.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458533509.100628.jpg

TA da!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458533532.978703.jpg

George, DrCyanide, Bogleo and 2 others like this.
  37. Creator1326

Inner lenses are shaped now. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458563634.950556.jpg

Ikras, Sporkey and AGFRX7 like this.
  38. Creator1326

Progress and final black paint. Just need some weathering, yellow accents and grey accents.

Some more flat wiring. The grey square in the middle is where the inner helmet attaches.
    IMG_4340.JPG

The inner helmet with the lenses inserted and masked. They are removable too!
    IMG_4343.JPG

These are the lenses. You can see the LEDs on the top and sides. Edge lighting I think isn't going to work well unless I steam it up lol. I may have to come up with a plan B in the future.
    IMG_4342.JPG

George, MiamiLoco, Bogleo and 4 others like this.
  39. Creator1326

AND... the helmet is DONE! Ugh, that was a TON of work.

DSC00960-sm.jpg DSC00962-sm.jpg DSC00961-sm.jpg DSC00959-sm.jpg DSC00964-sm.jpg

George, Ikras, Sporkey and 8 others like this.
  40. NBergmann

NBergmann New Member

My Lanta, this is one hell of a build! Great work man

Creator1326 likes this.
  41. SeriousCosplays

SeriousCosplays New Member

Where did you get the files for the 3d print?

42. Creator1326

I had it commissioned and right now I'm not producing a second one as I need to work out a few kinks.

43. Psicorp7

That helmet is the BOMB! Well done!

Creator1326 likes this.
  44. muttmo

muttmo Well-Known Member

That is an incredible build so far

Creator1326 likes this.
  45. Creator1326

Thanks! Just some robotic arms and a giant silicone part to make. You know... no big deal right? lol.

46. muttmo

muttmo Well-Known Member

Yes No big deal.. but then you will make it.. look incredible.

Creator1326 likes this.
  47. Tumbler

Tumbler Active Member

Great build. The helmet turned out awesome. Keep up the amazing work...no pressure :)

48. Creator1326

Sorry all, it's been slow going. I took time out to write a cosplay contest judging and management web site right after FanX (Salt Lake). Now that that's over I can get back to cosplay and this is a test of an arm for Yellowjacket. I need to work on that middle joint, probably a floating link or put it in parallel with the short arm it attaches to to make double duty of the actuator.

George and AGFRX7 like this.
  49. Creator1326

My current predicament is the texture on the black rubber collar. The left shot is of a honeycomb texture. On the right it almost looks like a carbon fiber-ish grid. I can't decide which is easier to model and/or correct. So frustrating.

collar-texture-diff.jpg

collar-texture-diff.jpg

50. Psicorp7

I would go carbon fiber as the rest of the chest is honeycomb. It will make the patterns contrast more.