Yavin 4 scanner (ANH) - all major parts positively identified

Indeed - beautiful quality here, Jerry (as usual)! These are going to make fantastic, really high-fidelity replicas of the scanner.

On that front, as long as Lorne was going to be at Celebration, I decided to lug the weight of one of my originals along so he could get it into his hands again for the first time in 42 years:

View attachment 1010746

As soon as Lorne saw it he began to smile and as he held it he said rather nostalgically "I remember this". :)

He seemed very happy that the tape assembly was just as he remembers it. I asked about the gray or white tape wrapping the metal bands on the motors (to my eye, what is needed to match the on-screen look) and he did wrinkle his nose at that saying that he didn't remember doing that and didn't remember having tape like that on site. As for the jeweler's screwdriver-like greeblie up on top of the Minolta he looked a bit puzzled at first and then when I volunteered something in the direction of the jeweler's screwdriver idea he immediately perked up in recognition and agreed that that had to be it and that they did indeed have small screwdrivers like that in their kit to work on the cameras. We'll have to keep searching to find the right vintage one.

Dan

That’s really cool!

for your viewing pleasure :D
I quickly assembled these to show everyone how nice these look with out any paint yet. not all the parts are on it for the pics. most of the parts screw together, not much glue is needed. some polished stainless steel looking tape you be great for the band by the grip

Wicked! Are you mechanically attaching them together? If so how? I’m dying to know

with the same sized screws that were used on the originals. the threads are part of the molds

Aahh! Sorry i was confused, I didn’t know these two parts bolted together

I thought you had to make something to hold them together

My bad!

I’m talking about this photo here how you got them stuck to each other

IMG_9066.jpg

AGHHH!!! I see the tape!!

for the pic I balanced those together with the aid of a small bit of tape you can see the edge on the side :)
some guys are talking about adding weight to them, they might want to drill a couple holes onto the plug ends and run a metal rod inside ?? just a thought...then add the tape for more security and screen accuracy

maybe a 1/4 x 20 threaded rod and some nuts would even be better

Awesome Dan!! So happy you were able to get that in his hands, what a great moment for you!!
Curious if he may have discussed how they held the motors to the Auto Spot if they didn't use tape. Did he give you any clues how they kluged it all together?
-Sean

Thanks Sean - it was a ton of fun and meant a lot to me that he spent the time with me talking about it! As far as how it was all taped together, both the two motors at the plug ports and the Minolta to the motors, he seemed happy with how I had it so I'm guessing it was pretty close to what he remembers for how he put it together. I'd love to spend more time with him at some point, but I didn't want to pester him about it too much on this first meeting. It was more about just the fun of reuniting him with an old friend... :)

Dan

Jerry has now officially posted a Project Run thread for the replica motors. As folks start to receive these you'll want to be painting and weathering them to look like the original parts so I thought I'd post a few reference images from the motors I have. I've put images of both the variable-speed and constant-speed motors here.

When replica Minoltas are ready to go I'll post similar images for that as well...

Happy replicating!

Dan

5D3_6946_small.jpg
5D3_6949_small.jpg
5D3_6951_small.jpg
5D3_6952_small.jpg
5D3_6954_small.jpg
5D3_6955_small.jpg
5D3_6956_small.jpg
5D3_6957_small.jpg
5D3_6962_small.jpg
5D3_6965_small.jpg
5D3_6967_small.jpg
5D3_6969_small.jpg
5D3_6971_small.jpg
5D3_6972_small.jpg
5D3_6974_small.jpg

Happy to share. If you find something else you need as you are building and painting don't hesitate to ask...

Dan

Mine arrived from Jerry today and they are superb. With Dan's confirmation of the actual motor weights earlier in the thread I an really looking forward to putting this lot together.

I've made a series of Photoshop .psd files for the various text bits mainly on the Minolta, but there are also some minor text details on the little switch boxes on the motors as well. The files are intended to be able to make water slide decals by whatever means you choose (maybe some enterprising soul here might offer up decal sets) - they are reproduced at pretty high resolution and include scale bars so they can be sized accurately.

https://www.boulder.swri.edu/~durda/RPF/scanner_reference/scanner_decals.zip

Happy decaling...

Dan

Heafty things aren't they, when you put it all together it's quite large too. Though my tape didn't hold long lol so it's sat in a box in bits.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back