YAFF - Yet Another 5 Footer Falcon Build

Dazza007

Bit of a Build Log for my take on the 5 footer.
Inspired by so many great builds, and waiting to paint my R2, I decided to start another near marriage ending project.

I was originally going to cheat and grab the Gambody one, but its awful just a whole lot of incorrect parts all cobbled together.
So I looked into doing my own 5 footer - this is slightly different in that I will be modelling the entire thing myself based on blueprints, and the larger number of really handy resources/photos of the Studio model out there.
So while it wont be kitbashed, it will be pretty darn close. (Visually at least).

I will FDM the bulk of it, and when I get a resin printer do some of the finer bits.

So without further ado, heres the first 3d model / print - and I am super happy with it.
I should also point out, I am aiming for Minimal supports - none needed for this, or for the one below I am about to start printing.

IMG_20220322_125010.jpg

And heres the next part all modeled and ready to print - this may not appeal to the purists, but its a way for me to brush up on my modelling and printing skills
Untitled-3.png

Hello Dazza,

Good to see YAFF! :)

Really like the 'notched' design of the top turret. It's always a puzzle to design parts, that lookj esthetic pleasing. That Fit on the buildplate and with minimal support. It looks like you got that figured out.
I won't call myself a purist, although I probably became one... (I don't know if that's possible... that would count as fake purist LOL )
But I really like what you are doing.
If I can give one advice... if your computer can handle it, use some more subdivisions for the bigger parts. (On the round parts)...not sure if you are going to print the greeblies on it right away, but sanding the turret side would becom a pain in the ^$%$.
(Because it's a big scale, this becomes more obvious)
And one pro for printing greeblies seperate would be if you decide sooner then later to add a resin printer, you can replace or use those resin greeblies.

Looking forward to your progress.

BTW is that exhaust vent FDM? it looks so clean. :love:

Hello Dazza,

Good to see YAFF! :)

Really like the 'notched' design of the top turret. It's always a puzzle to design parts, that lookj esthetic pleasing. That Fit on the buildplate and with minimal support. It looks like you got that figured out.
I won't call myself a purist, although I probably became one... (I don't know if that's possible... that would count as fake purist LOL )
But I really like what you are doing.
If I can give one advice... if your computer can handle it, use some more subdivisions for the bigger parts. (On the round parts)...not sure if you are going to print the greeblies on it right away, but sanding the turret side would becom a pain in the ^$%$.
(Because it's a big scale, this becomes more obvious)
And one pro for printing greeblies seperate would be if you decide sooner then later to add a resin printer, you can replace or use those resin greeblies.

Looking forward to your progress.

BTW is that exhaust vent FDM? it looks so clean. :love:
Thanks for the input, I come from a bit of a gaming background, so its hard to get lower poly modelling out of my system, but I did notice too much faceting for my liking on some pieces, so am maxing out curved surfaces already - I imagine each piece will take a few goes, tho I was pretty happy with the vent as a first print.

I was also happy with my Hidden Notched Design - joins tend to be along panel extrusions, so should be barely visible, and with the notches having a 45 degree slope at the tops means no supports. Just printing those pieces out at the moment - might be a few days till they are all done.

It'll be slow progress, but should be worth it in the long run.

Here's my version of the gun, based on some other designs I have seen on here which were pretty accurate - still a little bit of faceting on the spheres, but its a start I suppose - all bits should slot in nicely, once again no supports needed - tho i did cheat a little - some panels have a slight angle to make them print with no supports.

Yeah the trusty Prusa gives excellent results for an FDM - 0.1mm layer heights.

gun.png

Ooh I can feel you about getting the polygon modeling out of your system (or low poly modeling) I just got this year into CAD (for 3D), and for this stuff it's so less headache.

Yeah... those Pursas get some quality FDM, seen some thing on youtube. But this is are some first 'real life' prints I a have seen.

Quad Laser looks very good! And like you said... just take it slow...
Having patience is one of the big lessons with this build.... I guess. (6 years now)

Hot off the printer - still a little post print clean up, and as Dimitri-Ajith mentioned above, looking more and more likely I will be getting a Resin printer at some stage.
Lighting makes the layer lines look worse than they are BTW.

A couple of small tweaks to the Arm/Gun Mounting points, and should be pretty close to final.
Laid out and tweaked so no Supports required.

IMG_20220324_083640.jpg

IMG_20220324_083644.jpg
IMG_20220324_083658.jpg

Gun.png

1 x Gun and Turret Completed
IMG_20220327_234946.jpg

2x Docking Bay doors nearly done, have a few 'wires' to add and the door hinge, but looking good

IMG_20220328_112018.jpg

And Lastly I have been working on the Outer shell of the Docking Bays - this one will be on the printer soon, 2 days a piece

Untitled-3.jpg

Lots of fun - have started roughing out the supporting structure, allowing for lighting etc,

OK Made some progress on the frame - here is the rough outline of the disk part - basically 3 primary pieces (Multiples) that slot into each other.
Some will be different depending on the Panel Topology, but its really just fleshing out how I will put it all together - holes are for wiring - still tonnes of room for the engine lighting etc.
So 4 of the middle Ring Section, and 20 of each of the outer 2 sections

Basically these parts will be printed at 0.3mm for speed, and the rest of the panels that insert into here at 0.1mm Quality Settings

rings2.jpg
rings1.jpg

Disk.jpg

OK Made some progress on the frame - here is the rough outline of the disk part - basically 3 primary pieces (Multiples) that slot into each other.
Some will be different depending on the Panel Topology, but its really just fleshing out how I will put it all together - holes are for wiring - still tonnes of room for the engine lighting etc.
So 4 of the middle Ring Section, and 20 of each of the outer 2 sections

Basically these parts will be printed at 0.3mm for speed, and the rest of the panels that insert into here at 0.1mm Quality Settings

View attachment 1560423View attachment 1560424

View attachment 1560421
Man that would make a great flying saucer by
itself ! Looking good.

WOW!!!! I was never much into printing, but I have seen a bunch of it and you my friend are dang good. Looks like I am going printer shopping both fiber and resin got some projects that are going to require this type of work. Lots to learn, You my friend are doing a superb job will be following this one keep it going and thanks for sharing

Dazza007,
Quite jealous of you guys who can use photography, CAD and the ability to program computers with software to drive printers that can then fabricate in such detail. Real fine application of technology to model building. Congratulations to all that have learned these methods and have such skill under their command. The Falcon is one of the most worthy science fiction designs to replicate. Congratulations on your work. Thanks for sharing your progress.
Searun

Thanks for all of the positive comments, it is a lot of trial and error, I'm on the 5th iteration of my frame already, after printing 2 pieces of version 4. - most pieces will be duplicated, but as Eagle1 pointed out there are a few custom ones required for the pit wells.
The good thing is these are designed to only be 6 hours per piece. the bad thing is there are 16x3x2 pieces to print just for the ring.

For the purist - each of the ring pieces is perfectly wide enough for 3 of the rear engine panels - which has the added advantage of allowing me to mount motors to spin the Intake fans if I decide to do that down the track

IMG_20220331_102642.jpg
IMG_20220331_102707.jpg
panels.jpg

And here's my 2 and a half day print of the outer Docking Ring (2nd pic showing the alignment nubs - sorry cant see them that well on the insert)
IMG_20220331_102715.jpg
IMG_20220331_102738.jpg

She's definitely going to be massive - another shot for scale
IMG_20220331_102832.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back