Y-wing

burningman

After seeing 1138's awesome studio scale y-wing..it got me thinking. I seem to remember hearingthat the Y-wings look was as "if all the body panels have been taken off it"
Has there ever been any illustrations or anything of the y-wing with it's skin on assuming what i heard was true?

If it exists it might be a cool model to make.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burningman @ May 6 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]1239208[/snapback]</div>
After seeing 1138's awesome studio scale y-wing..it got me thinking. I seem to remember hearingthat the Y-wings look was as "if all the body panels have been taken off it"
Has there ever been any illustrations or anything of the y-wing with it's skin on assuming what i heard was true?

If it exists it might be a cool model to make.
[/b]

This is something I have been planning for a while- I have come up with my own design of what I think the body panels would look like. I have built a small version over an Action Fleet Y-Wing (after correcting the proportions), and I will be doing a big one over my studio-scale Y when its done.

To answer your question, there was only one illustration of this concept- it was in the SW Incredible Cross-sections book. It was a small picture in the corner of the Y-wing page. While it was cool to show the concept, the design was not very well thought-out (something very unusual for the authors, I might add). It was basically a bunch of facets that covered all the greeblies in the areas between the cockpit and the engines. The problem is it just mimiced the existing shapes without continuing the lines of the cockpit section- the one part of the 'body' that appears to be original.

I'll try to get some pics of my small model up

Mark

Well here is my concept- I wasn't going to reveal my design until I had my big model done, but who knows how long that will be. Plus, its always good to get feedback before doing the big build.

I'm very happy with what I've come up with- I think it fits well into the SW universe- there is a touch of the Old Republic/Naboo influence while at the same time retaining some of the signature OT 'greeblie' style. I think its a logical extrapolation based on the lines of the cockpit section. I wanted the body shell to change the look of the Y just enough to have some style to it, but not so radically that you didn't recognize the ship at all.

The biggest departure from the Y we all know is the vertical fin- as I went I felt the profile of the ship was too flat. I wanted to add something that didn't look TOO neccessary so it would make sense that the Rebel techs would discard it along with the other cosmetic body panels. I may still change this feature in the big model- perhaps lower the overall height of the fin.

The only other thing missing is the R2 head- clearly the continuation of the cockpit lines cover where the astromech normally sits. I built this a while ago and never really decided how to remedy this; should the droid's head raise up through a hole ala' the Naboo N-1?; should the droid be concealed completely inside its own 'cockpit'- perhaps even with a windows matching the pilot area? The latter is an appealing thought- it would look kinda cool and would make sense for a heavily armored bomber. However, in keeping with the SW 'look' (which doesn't always make sense), I think the solution should be the former. So just imagine a droid head 'bump' in the appropriate place.

Comments welcome.

Mark

The pictures:

3417re2.jpg

95d7re2.jpg

ff74re2.jpg

5677re2.jpg

1bf6re2.jpg

a208re2.jpg

WOW I love this idea..the only one thing that kinda bugs me is that rear verticle wing.
I photoshooped up one of your images (I hope you don't mind) to give you and idea of what i was thinking. My logic wasif a ship was directly behind the craft the turret gun could have a chance to hit it withouth blowing off it's own tail. (think indianna 3 ) :) Either way this will be awesome... Oh and yes I think Naboo Style would be cool with the r2 unit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burningman @ May 6 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1239478[/snapback]</div>
WOW I love this idea..the only one thing that kinda bugs me is that rear verticle wing.
I photoshooped up one of your images (I hope you don't mind) to give you and idea of what i was thinking. My logic wasif a ship was directly behind the craft the turret gun could have a chance to hit it withouth blowing off it's own tail. (think indianna 3 ) :) Either way this will be awesome... Oh and yes I think Naboo Style would be cool with the r2 unit
[/b]

Hmmm..... I like that- continues the 'Y' theme as well. There is still a danger of hitting the two tails though if the Ion Cannon rotates 360 degrees.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it starts to look a little too 'Gundam' for me. I'll have to think about that one. Great idea though.

Mark

True..you will still hit it....I would imagine in either way (your tail or mine) that there would be some kind of electronic no fire zone..kinda like WW1 fighters and the gear that kept them from blowing off thier propellers.
Keep us informed as to your pogress and Ideas..I think this is a fantastic project that is long overdue.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burningman @ May 6 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1239485[/snapback]</div>
True..you will still hit it....I would imagine in either way (your tail or mine) that there would be some kind of electronic no fire zone..kinda like WW1 fighters and the gear that kept them from blowing off thier propellers.
Keep us informed as to your pogress and Ideas..I think this is a fantastic project that is long overdue.
[/b]

Agreed. Thanks for the incouragement.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>(Flintlock @ Aug 17 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]1302312[/snapback]</div>
Sorry, but I just now found this thread...

Breadcrumb 1 (Pay close attention to second paragraph)

Breadcrumb 2

Hope it helps.
[/b]

Why be sorry?

I don't think the info in either of these sources invalidates Bradleyfett's 'what-if' concepts....which is very interesting, BTW.

Part of the fun of this stuff is the exploration of what could have been, without getting too dogmatic about 'canon' this and 'canon' that. It ain't religion. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(burningman @ May 6 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]1239485[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

They called those 'interrupter templates'.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Aug 17 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1302331[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Flintlock @ Aug 17 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]1302312[/snapback]
Sorry, but I just now found this thread...

Breadcrumb 1 (Pay close attention to second paragraph)

Breadcrumb 2

Hope it helps.
[/b]

Why be sorry?

I don't think the info in either of these sources invalidates Bradleyfett's 'what-if' concepts....which is very interesting, BTW.

Part of the fun of this stuff is the exploration of what could have been, without getting too dogmatic about 'canon' this and 'canon' that. It ain't religion. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(burningman @ May 6 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]1239485[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

They called those 'interrupter templates'.
[/b][/quote]

I think I am confused... the info at the Star Wars site says that the Incredible Cross Sections book reveals that the Y Wing had exterior coverings... Then a link to Amazon for the book. I have a scan of the Y Wing page that shows those external coverings (part of it is cut off though) - which is what the person who started this thread wanted. You don't have to follow that design, but I just thought it would help.

Take care fellas (and ladies, if there are any out there).

^ Yeah....I think I must have misread your response.

You were saying you were sorry you missed the thread until now and left some good answers to the original poster.

My bad, and my apologies.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Aug 17 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]1302548[/snapback]</div>
^ Yeah....I think I must have misread your response.

You were saying you were sorry you missed the thread until now and left some good answers to the original poster.

My bad, and my apologies.
[/b]

Yep, that's what I was saying.

No problem...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back