Y wing kit. Need some advice.

Jamesfett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been searching but I am having trouble finding a good Y wing Studio Scale kit. There is one that shows up on Ebay from time to time but I don't know the quality. Since the Studio Scale section kind of seems to be it's own little world I am not seeing anything in the Junkyard or Project Runs section. I found a big model site but it has a mixed reputation and does not always seem up to date.

Even if I can find one, which right now I can't, I have no idea of the quality, trustworthiness of the maker, etc.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good quality Studio Scale Y wing kit?

Thanks so much.

Gold Leader is the one I want to build. I don't know if that makes a difference but I assume not in a kit?

Y-1A.jpg

Get ahold of Nice-n models. They make an awesome Gold Leader kit, casted by Mike Salzo.
I built one last year. Nice quality kit!

2B557FC7-5E5C-49C2-B8C0-00FCA51B4EBB.jpeg

Wow, gorgeous. One concern, wasn't this the guy who is years behind and keeps taking new jobs while owing people kits from years back?? My apologies if I am mixing him up with someone else.

Thank you again.

Wow, gorgeous. One concern, wasn't this the guy who is years behind and keeps taking new jobs while owing people kits from years back?? My apologies if I am mixing him up with someone else.

Thank you again.

The client I was working for ordered the kit from Mike Salzo......Steve Neisen makes the replica & Mike does the casting & orders

Mike & Steve are members here,......here's Mikes username: mslz22

J

The client I was working for ordered the kit from Mike Salzo......Steve Neisen makes the replica & Mike does the casting & orders

Mike & Steve are members here,......here's Mikes username: mslz22

J

That’s exactly how I got mine, directly through Mike Salzo. Steve Nicen designed the model.

I don’t know if Mike is casting these for Steve anymore, you’d have to ask him directly.

Thanks guys. I have messaged moffeaton and mslz22 about a kit. I'm not quite sure how the new message system works so hopefully they got them.

If you can't get the Nice N kit, Ray Perez (Galactic Resin) also make a 1/24 Y-Wing. Not as accurate as the Nice N kit, but it's still a nice model and is cheaper. Ray has a good rep as a kit maker. This thread shows one that showed up here:

Y-Wing Gold Leader "Tie Killer"

If you can't get the Nice N kit, Ray Perez (Galactic Resin) also make a 1/24 Y-Wing. Not as accurate as the Nice N kit, but it's still a nice model and is cheaper. Ray has a good rep as a kit maker. This thread shows one that showed up here:

Y-Wing Gold Leader "Tie Killer"

Thanks for the source. I have messaged mslz22 and am waiting to hear back. I am hoping to snag his kit.

Thanks so much for all your help and info guys.

Thanks for the source. I have messaged mslz22 and am waiting to hear back. I am hoping to snag his kit.

Thanks so much for all your help and info guys.

I’ve built both the Nice-n and the Galactic Resin y-wing.

If you want screen accurate, get the Nice-n.
If you want to have a little fun, get the GR.

Both build into nice models, just depends on if you are looking for a true studio scale model or not.

I really want screen accurate but a little nicer paint job like Jason Eaton's above. I know the ILM crew had to rush so I want to take my time and hope it comes out like his above. My skills are not near there yet but with time and a lot of practice it should come out looking decent. I just need the kit.

For a complete kit and being highly accurate the Nice-N/Salzo version is the easiest way to go as said before. You have to be persistent in getting ahold of Mike. I've found better luck on Facebook.

Or you can go the DaveG route! The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!
This is not a kit, but a start using 3D files. You are left to source the parts which is hard, but really rewarding. This was the most fun I've ever had building anything. There are a lot of places to go to source many of the common nurnies of each Y.

Here is my Gold Leader
3x1a0760-jpg.jpg

Thank you for the info and that is an amazing model.

I am in the middle of a move and then as soon as it's done I will hunt Mike down and hopefully get a kit.

Thanks again.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back