Y-Wing Helmet Build —- FINISHED PICS PAGE 2

Cameron

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ive always wanted to do a Y-Wing build to go with my X-Wing helmets. Started this week. I will be building this version:

IMG_9103.JPG

1. Trimmed the halves
2. Cut holes for connector and ear greeblies.
3. Glued connectors at key points.
4. Fiberglassed the inside for strength
5. Located exact connector for underside

Next up is a bondo of the seam. Ive got the correct mic tip on the way.

IMG_9111.JPGIMG_9112.JPGIMG_9113.JPGIMG_9114.JPGIMG_9115.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Y-Wing Helmet Build It Begins!

Awesome!!!looking forward to seeing this progress. :)

Ben

48494295-4E9A-47E3-9189-C402CC987DDA.jpeg

Quick update. Correct plantronics microphone arrived. I found the proper cable and covered it with shrink tube to match the screen used piece. Located the 2 proper colors of the wires that come out of the connector.

Last edited:

on Evilbay. I searched for Vintage Plantronics. The guy has 10 or so headsets available. They are $20.
Ah, nice! Looks like they might be gone now, I can't find any on there, though I might just be being blind again. Any idea what it was listed as or who the seller was? I could use a couple for my B-wing pilot helmets.

I took a break from seam work to try out an idea for the face bumper. I took a foam tube split it in half and I will spray glue the leather to it. I think the redder leather will work best. Wrinkles may be an issue with this method.
DBBFC8D1-9C46-4A27-AEDC-923F56761DB4.jpeg89601897-E508-4B2F-879E-F8ACFD15AFCC.jpeg0860E28C-25ED-42F7-A22A-EBDFC0A32C5C.jpeg857D389C-B442-4CB4-B120-36DBCDBA9CF6.jpegDC1D0987-BDE4-46E2-9D31-4C47B1581EFC.jpeg57950148-8197-42A7-AD59-C850A17DAC28.jpegC683447D-4AC3-434C-B46D-B94487BE59BE.jpeg

Ah, nice! Looks like they might be gone now, I can't find any on there, though I might just be being blind again. Any idea what it was listed as or who the seller was? I could use a couple for my B-wing pilot helmets.
PM'd you the seller.

That's looking good Cameron, can't wait to see it done... I'm just finishing my second bucket ( Bat helmet ) and still haven't nailed down that leather edge roll. I found a real thin leather at Michael's craft store that was a bit pricey, but seems like it won't wrinkle too bad. I was thinking about sewing the leather into a tube, then slide some solid EVA foam rod in, and lightly steam and stretch it into shape. I think that edge roll is the worst part.

That's looking good Cameron, can't wait to see it done... I'm just finishing my second bucket ( Bat helmet ) and still haven't nailed down that leather edge roll. I found a real thin leather at Michael's craft store that was a bit pricey, but seems like it won't wrinkle too bad. I was thinking about sewing the leather into a tube, then slide some solid EVA foam rod in, and lightly steam and stretch it into shape. I think that edge roll is the worst part.
Cotton rope used for furniture (I can't remember the official name, but that's essentially what it is... rope made of cotton, threads around it in a grid keep it together, and it's used on furniture). That's what I use for the edge lining of my B-wing helmets. I get it at Joann's, it's pretty cheap, and just roll some pleather around it, stitch it along the edge, and then glue it onto the helmet. It's nice and soft but also keeps its shape well.

I would love to know the ebay seller for that headset also, at least the model name and number, I searched high and low for that one, found a version similar but had a double barrel end, not the single you have.

A small update while the final layer of primer dries.

Adding some paint and metal detail parts to accurize the 3D printed earpiece.
8E987A0B-5A2E-4BEC-9952-955A3A168222.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back