Y-Wing Build (DaveG Open Source)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

akumazeto

Happy Pre-Thanksgiving!

Front fuselage is done! Panel details, torpedo shroud, and front cannons built and ready for final glue-up.

View attachment 1371816 View attachment 1371817 View attachment 1371815 View attachment 1371819 View attachment 1371820 View attachment 1371822

Temporary assembly pics too. Once I get greeblies on the nacelles, the pipe bending completes major construction. I can see the light at the end of this tunnel.

View attachment 1371828 View attachment 1371829
Do you remember brass sizes and lengths?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

CheesyGrin

HI All,

Update on the Y-Wing. I printed the canopy on my Photon resin printer. It printed great but was slightly thin and felt flimsy. My intent was to reinforce 'just enough' but it turned into a small scratch building exercise. I know most of this wont be very visible but it was fun to embellish. I very loosely followed some screenshots of a Y-Wing cockpit from EA's Squadrons.

Annotation 2020-11-23 4.png Annotation 2020-11-23 2.png IMG_0096.jpg IMG_0148.jpg IMG_0154.jpg IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0161.jpg IMG_0162.jpg

Mindmax

I have about 20 complete LEggs pantyhose containers available for Y-wing builders.
4 are required per Y-wing.
Hello Jkirkon,
Do still have the containers available? I am building a studio scale Y-Wing and would be very interested. Thank you and Nest regards, Mark

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
HI All,

Update on the Y-Wing. I printed the canopy on my Photon resin printer. It printed great but was slightly thin and felt flimsy. My intent was to reinforce 'just enough' but it turned into a small scratch building exercise. I know most of this wont be very visible but it was fun to embellish. I very loosely followed some screenshots of a Y-Wing cockpit from EA's Squadrons.

View attachment 1412494 View attachment 1412495 View attachment 1412488 View attachment 1412489 View attachment 1412490 View attachment 1412491 View attachment 1412492 View attachment 1412493

Wow I LOVE what you did with the canopy here. The greeblies in the back make it feel more like the guns on top are connected to something. Very cool! I might have to steal this idea for my 1/48 build I'm doing...

SB

CheesyGrin

Wow I LOVE what you did with the canopy here. The greeblies in the back make it feel more like the guns on top are connected to something. Very cool! I might have to steal this idea for my 1/48 build I'm doing...

SB

Thanks so much! Take inspiration freely.

I'm very close to paint prep. Two construction items remain- Droid unit and fuselage piping. I tackled the droid unit this weekend. I found editable models of an R2-D2 and R5-D4 online. I decided to go with the R5-D4 for the Y-Wing. I'm using an R2 unit for a studio scale X-wing soon to follow. Some pics:

Screenshot 2021-04-09 104630.png
I designed the R5 unit around the droid-shaped hole but sometimes things in real life turn out different than what the digital version presents. So, I printed 3 units, each 3% larger than the previous. Printing more parts on a resin printer takes the same amount of time so fill up the plate!

image3.jpeg
Final prints arranged smallest to largest.

image2.jpeg image0.jpeg
I chose the middle size. The size seems right to me.

Fingers crossed that piping can be completed this week.

Jkirkon

Sr Member
Looks great!

I had an insanely difficult time using aluminum for the curved pipes. They always linked, no matter the technique i tried.
Wound up using styrene, heated gently over a candle flame, and they came out perfectly.

Nice job!

CheesyGrin

Looks great!

I had an insanely difficult time using aluminum for the curved pipes. They always linked, no matter the technique i tried.
Wound up using styrene, heated gently over a candle flame, and they came out perfectly.

Nice job!
I’m using K&S solid aluminum rod, 3/32 and 1/8” diameter. Were you using tubing? If so, I could see that easily kinking on the right bends.

CheesyGrin

Good progress yesterday. I'm done with the top after a couple more pipes. The remainder of the pipe work is on the bottom. I need a couple more packages of K&S aluminum rod before I can wrap this up. It's nice working with the solid aluminum rod because it maintains shape post-bending. It's also more rigid as compared with long styrene runs. Even so, I'll also do some bend tests with styrene and use it were it seems appropriate.

IMG_0280.jpg IMG_0279.jpg