**COMPLETED** Y-Wing 1/48 resin model

Thanks skahtul. I got sick the last few weeks and so this has been on hold. I have been puzzling about the cockpit section for a while now, as that's next up to be built. I'm debating about combining all of the pieces in MeshMixer and then just printing it as one piece, rather than futzing around with the fit of multiple resin pieces. What to do....

SB

Thanks skahtul. I got sick the last few weeks and so this has been on hold. I have been puzzling about the cockpit section for a while now, as that's next up to be built. I'm debating about combining all of the pieces in MeshMixer and then just printing it as one piece, rather than futzing around with the fit of multiple resin pieces. What to do....

SB
I printed the cockpit mostly in one piece, the only separate parts were the cockpit tub (and I printed that in one piece apart from the front console, cover piece for the front console and seat), the canopy and the rear bulkhead part, so that I could use that to cover up the support marks.

just managed to rewire new LEDs into my original Y-wing, and popped the thrust vector thingies on too, then gave it a coat of primer.
7C6509BA-6C02-4FDD-B2E4-7C0E7EFB19D3.jpeg19306500-2219-4C6D-8AC1-6915301B55C8.jpeg

Jimw100 That looks awesome!!! What did you end up doing to attach the cockpit head to the body? Is it just CA glued onto that piece and then CA'd onto the body?

Jimw100 That looks awesome!!! What did you end up doing to attach the cockpit head to the body? Is it just CA glued onto that piece and then CA'd onto the body?
Thanks! This thing is really cobbled together, it got dropped by someone the other day and one of the engines broke off again, and the whole thing is quite fragile now! The pictures hide most of the imperfections.

I ended up cutting down the ‘neck’ piece as I couldn’t get it seated far enough into the hole in the cockpit I then used CA to attach two bits of brass angle (the same as I used for the engine struts) into the square cutouts in that neck piece, and then a ton more CA to glue them into place inside the cockpit. There’s also some overlap of the resin neck piece so all in all it seems ok. The ship can be lifted by the cockpit so I think that’s strong enough. All the brass rods connecting the two probably help as well.

For the new y-wing I shrunk the neck into the chassis by quite some way (almost too far I think) using tinkercad or meshmixer and I also shrunk that neck piece by 1 or 2% so it fits better. I left about 6mm of neck which I think will just about work. It could probably do with 8mm

Okay, so I managed to combine all of the cockpit parts together in Meshmixer, so that I didn't have to fiddle around with getting everything to fit right and use lots of putty, sanding, etc... This includes the seat and console and controls, as well as the landing gear pod on the bottom. Here it is lightly sanded, due to some finger-printing:

IMG_5910.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how this print turned out. I tried printing out the head piece as two separate parts, but I could never get them to line up correctly, and I think the head of the Y-Wing is a very distinct form, so I didn't want it to look too fat or tall or what have you because I couldn't get the parts to line up right. Really glad this print turned out. Next it's on to mating the head with the body. That means trimming a few of the pipes that connect to the rear cockpit bulkhead. I should have connected the head to the body before I did the pipes, but that's easy to fix.

Thanks for looking,

SB

So sweet! I dig the 'mesh' on the domes, it is a happy accident kinda artifact, since it adds just another subtle layer of texture complexity that is perfect in my opinion, if not 'screen accurate', for a 'sensor fairing'.
Very cool...
Regards, Robert

Little update today. Finally had some time to work on this model a bit. I managed to get the head attached with the body. I strengthened the bond with two aluminum tubes that extend back into the body and forward into the cockpit. Didn't take any photos, but it worked. I think I might have made the head stick out a few mm too far from the body, but the pipes kind of hide that.

And speaking of pipes, I think that I'm done with the plumbing on this one. It's not ALL of the pipes that are on, say, Gold Leader, but there's enough on there to get the point across. the canopy is just set on for the photos.

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5931.jpg

IMG_5932.jpg

It's not the prettiest of jobs, but it works. The next step, after all of this has dried, is to prime the body, plumbing, and cockpit, and see how it looks! It's been a lot of work up to this point, but I'm (mostly) happy with how it is turning out.

Thanks for looking!

SB

That's looking great! I have files for a 1:24 and every time I think about starting to print it I just come look at all the pipework you are doing and I close down the slicer :)

Nice work so far, can't wait to see more paint on it!

That's looking great! I have files for a 1:24 and every time I think about starting to print it I just come look at all the pipework you are doing and I close down the slicer :)

Nice work so far, can't wait to see more paint on it!
Oh, it wasn't that bad to do. I just followed the instructions for the Bandai Y-Wing and did my best to copy it. Didn't get it exactly right, but close enough for my taste. This model did come with the STL files for the pipes, but I think it would have been an even bigger headache to try and print them out and get the supports right, etc.. And they'd be brittle as all get-out also. The brass wasn't bad at all to bend. I just wrapped the tip of a pair of pliers in some gaff tape to avoid marking the pipes, and then just bent the brass around that. Easy peasy.

SB

My Y-wing had another fairly disastrous crash landing. I’m beginning to think someone is doing this on purpose...6899D065-033D-4BCD-926A-F605E129DD8B.jpeg
The neck was completely shattered and the negative wire for the cockpit lights had been ripped out, meaning I had to do some pretty delicate soldering inside the actual main body to fix it. The neck is really very awful looking now, but nothing I can do without basically starting over again. Which I’ve already done, but I’ve now convinced myself to do a Death Star diorama with two Y-wings on a bombing run.

Steven bills, so that 's how you bent the brass pipe. I have been considering designing and printing some thick sided forms with different bend angles and fitting the brass pipe in the grooves. Don't know how well that will work yet but the idea was to provide a way to make more precise mirror images of the bends. I might still attempt to just print them outright.

Jimw100, your sad accidents make me think I may do a static unlighted version first before attempting to put any lights in one yet. Get a feel for what I'm dealing with. I've been watching some tutorials on how to make explosions with airbrushed expanded cotton balls with LED's inside. Can't help but notice that one would fit perfectly between the neck and the cockpit in that picture of yours.

Steven bills, so that 's how you bent the brass pipe. I have been considering designing and printing some thick sided forms with different bend angles and fitting the brass pipe in the grooves. Don't know how well that will work yet but the idea was to provide a way to make more precise mirror images of the bends. I might still attempt to just print them outright.

Jimw100, your sad accidents make me think I may do a static unlighted version first before attempting to put any lights in one yet. Get a feel for what I'm dealing with. I've been watching some tutorials on how to make explosions with airbrushed expanded cotton balls with LED's inside. Can't help but notice that one would fit perfectly between the neck and the cockpit in that picture of yours.
Yeah, that's a good idea actually - I was planning on putting a turbo laser turret on the diorama so I can see it working quite well. I've actually put it all back together again now, but the next time someone smashes it to pieces I will probably give up and do exactly as you suggested! I'd have to somehow rewire it to run the wires into the base, as it's currently got an internal battery, which seems a bit pointless if it's never going to be taken off the diorama base.

My Y-wing had another fairly disastrous crash landing. I’m beginning to think someone is doing this on purpose...View attachment 1431276
The neck was completely shattered and the negative wire for the cockpit lights had been ripped out, meaning I had to do some pretty delicate soldering inside the actual main body to fix it. The neck is really very awful looking now, but nothing I can do without basically starting over again. Which I’ve already done, but I’ve now convinced myself to do a Death Star diorama with two Y-wings on a bombing run.
It's just one thing after another with your build, isn't it?! I'm sorry about that, man. That sucks. And I honestly think that the connection between the body and the cockpit could have been designed better on this model. I see your metal tube in there. It's too bad that this kind of resin is so darn brittle afterward. My kids keep wanting to hold my model and fly it around the room, but I just don't want to risk it bumping into anything and shattering. It's a shelf-queen, that's for sure, save for when I use it for some composite photos.

Again, bummer about the drop. It's almost too much work to print and fuss around with one of these models to just make it blowing up in a dio, you know? But hey, life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

SB

Little update today. I did some soldering and got the engine lights going! And it's all self-contained in the back of the fuselage. Everything fit in there, so all of my work of making space earlier back there paid off. It's hard to photograph the lights, but they turned out exactly as I'd hoped.

IMG_5939.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5941.jpg

I don't think I'm going to put the bent pipes on the back there, as that would extremely restrict my ability to take off the hatch and flip the switch. I'm still debating that, though.

I also worked on adding back a few of the chip panel things on the cockpit as well. These were sanded off when I was working on it the other day. I'm not even sure of the thickness of the styrene I used, but it looked close enough.

IMG_5944.jpg

I'm hoping they blend in a bit when more paint and weathering is applied. I ordered some Tamiya tape for curves, and I'll use that to paint the Gold Squadron markings on the head in the next few days. I also got the clamps on the L'eggs sections painted and glued on (no photos of that, somehow). It's really starting to look like a Y-Wing now!

So that's about it! Pretty happy with the lights, and how it's all coming together.

SB

Great job on the engine lights. Those look fantastic. Better yet they are exactly what you wanted. That's what rally counts.
What did you end up doing? Raw LED or diffusion filter? They look raw with teh way the light is emitting and reflecting but well enough hidden that I'm not sure. Very nice!

For the bars that bend around the back, might there be a way to attach them to the plate you remove? Extend a locator tab to the point they connect? You've got me thinking as I'm headed down the same path you have bravely paved.

Hagoth I used the bare LED. I 3D printed a little washer to hold the LED into place inside the engine core, and then set it back from the opening about 1cm. Pretty happy with the look, and it should photograph well. And that's a good idea for a locator tab. I'll have to do some thinking with that.

SB

Thanks for the details on how you placed the LED's in the engines. That's a critical detail to the look you achieved. Photographing well? You already proved that point!

Little update from this morning. I masked and painted the Gold Squadron insignia(?) on the cockpit. This was my first time using Tamiya tape for curves, and it worked really well! I'm very impressed with the stuff.

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

Need to clean up the edges a bit, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with how these came out. Also painted the base black color in the cockpit. Once that's all dry I'll back with a gray or silver and drybrush some of the raised details. I think the next step for this is to mask and paint the blue pinstripes on the sides of the cockpit. That'll be tricky because I need to match the color of the canopy and the stripes on the engines. OR I can just re-paint the canopy with the new blue color, since it's waaaaay too blue right now... Decisions, decisions...

And if any of you are interested, I streamed the masking and painting session this morning on Twitch. You can watch it (unedited) here:

Geez I hate the sound of my voice. And I'm not sure why the quality is so bad. Just shot on my iPhone. Anyway, you can skip through that to see how it all went. Or not. Whatever.

SB

Little update from this morning. I masked and painted the Gold Squadron insignia(?) on the cockpit. This was my first time using Tamiya tape for curves, and it worked really well! I'm very impressed with the stuff.

View attachment 1433711

View attachment 1433712

Need to clean up the edges a bit, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with how these came out. Also painted the base black color in the cockpit. Once that's all dry I'll back with a gray or silver and drybrush some of the raised details. I think the next step for this is to mask and paint the blue pinstripes on the sides of the cockpit. That'll be tricky because I need to match the color of the canopy and the stripes on the engines. OR I can just re-paint the canopy with the new blue color, since it's waaaaay too blue right now... Decisions, decisions...

And if any of you are interested, I streamed the masking and painting session this morning on Twitch. You can watch it (unedited) here:

Geez I hate the sound of my voice. And I'm not sure why the quality is so bad. Just shot on my iPhone. Anyway, you can skip through that to see how it all went. Or not. Whatever.

SB
Oh boy! I get to watch someone else clean their airbrush, for a change. ;)

Quick question for anyone in the know: Are these the green spots on Gold Leader that "everybody hates" (I guess not EVERYBODY hates them...) that weren't there when filming ANH? I see people in the SS section referencing all of the green paint that was added later, and was wondering if these spots were them.

green spots.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back