**COMPLETED** Y-Wing 1/48 resin model

That would be an honor!

My dream is to take all of the talent that's here on The RPF and remake (I use that term loosely) the space battles in the Original Trilogy (or even just an awesome fan film). We have all of the talent here: People making all of the studio scale models, people detailing up other ships, people making life-sized cockpit interiors... Then we would just need to get all of the model ships in the same room in order to shoot them on blue screen using motion control!

But alas. Tis but a dream...

SB

Put me on the wait list :)

That would be an honor!

My dream is to take all of the talent that's here on The RPF and remake (I use that term loosely) the space battles in the Original Trilogy (or even just an awesome fan film). We have all of the talent here: People making all of the studio scale models, people detailing up other ships, people making life-sized cockpit interiors... Then we would just need to get all of the model ships in the same room in order to shoot them on blue screen using motion control!

But alas. Tis but a dream...

SB

That is a nice dream

I've been trying to do in camera stuff as far as composing the shots, hoping to replace the backgrounds with something better at some point

Right now I do not have the software or experience with it to do digitial stitching and backgrounds

50173464436_faf3fa0959_b.jpg

I plan to try this shot, but with the Bandai DS tiles behind it, except I will pull them while the picture is timing hopefully creating motion blur. Or at a least that is the plan. Not sure if it will work.

If not I might try painting one

IMG_3759 (3).JPG

And then there is the forced perspective trick of using different sized models to get he illusion of distance. This is the MPC 1/48(ish), Bandai 1/72 and Fantastic Plastic 1/72 all together (forgive the crappy photo lighting

IMG_2781 (2).JPG

same forced perspective trickery withe Bandai B-wings and the smaller MPC one

IMG_2780 (3).JPG

Of course that also goes to show why studio models do not necessarily need to be the same scale as each other for shots

Thoroughly enjoying this project and discussion! If I'd caught it at the beginning, I'd been able to speak to the question of 'Star Wars' scale.

Obviously, the filming miniatures are not of 'scale' because there is no "real" vehicle or prototype from which to provide a proportion so any quoted full size dimensions are just poppy-cock. All in good fun, of course.

One exception however is R2D2, which *was* a proper, full-sized object and also a part of the filming models. Hence, the diameter of the actual size of the R2D2 dome makes an excellent 'scaling yardstick', allowing any craft that has a Astromech droid visible to be "accurately" dimensioned. I seem to recall the diameter is 30 inches, but that needs to be confirmed.

So the X-Wing, Y-Wing and all those Prequel trilogy craft can be precisely 'scaled'.
Cheers!\
Robert

... And I have confirmed the R2D2 dome /body diameter is NOT 30 inches (sorry about that!) but 18.174 inches (from the Droid Builders club). Although that doesn't seem to be much, it is apparently accurate.
Sorry again for the confusion. Good thing I take notes!
Regards, Robert

If I hadn’t printed all of my parts already and done lots of work on the lighting I’d probably buy this.

If I hadn’t printed all of my parts already and done lots of work on the lighting I’d probably buy this.
Daaaaaang... Can't you buy a studio scale kit for that much? Or close to it? I have two 1/48 Y's all printed up and sitting in a box that I just need to finish.

SB

Daaaaaang... Can't you buy a studio scale kit for that much? Or close to it? I have two 1/48 Y's all printed up and sitting in a box that I just need to finish.

SB

I’m a sucker for 1/48! I blame Bandai

Edit:

I was just working on this when the falcon3dparts email came in:

8DC6513F-570D-4A8C-B309-8E9B08E5835C.jpegE4674CF9-729A-48E6-AE23-07A2D581F112.jpeg

I’ve also cut the 3mm brass right angles that I’m going to use to connect the main engines to the thrust vector-type things, and I think they’re going to work well.

The main thing remaining is working out what size battery I can fit inside if I also put an adafruit itsy bitsy in there. And then the soldering. I hate soldering. But once that’s done it’s just a question of sticking it all together and painting it. And glazing the cockpit.

Last edited:

SB

it's beautiful, but if I was spending close to that, I think I'd rather go Studio Scale. Not sayin it isn't worth the time and effort and materials put into making it. After all, it probably needs as many molds and work pouring them as a studio scale kit apart from the amount of resin needed, plus it is limited run.
I would rather go 1/24 at that point

So I was fiddling around with the chassis pieces the other day and noticed that, due to curing or something, many of the pieces are warped. So I went into MeshMixer and combined all of the chassis pieces together into one part, and that is currently on the printer. Should be done in the next two or three hours. Here is a picture pre-supports.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 9.26.40 AM.png

SB

So I was fiddling around with the chassis pieces the other day and noticed that, due to curing or something, many of the pieces are warped. So I went into MeshMixer and combined all of the chassis pieces together into one part, and that is currently on the printer. Should be done in the next two or three hours. Here is a picture pre-supports.

View attachment 1397674

SB
I ended up doing the same, for the same reason.

Glad you posted again in this thread as it made me go back and see how far I had got with mine before I packed it away. I must go back and finish it!

View attachment 1397674

SB
Looks like some missing parts !!!

Looks like some missing parts !!!

Yeah, I shouldn't have said that I combined "all" the chassis parts in the post above. Just the larger ones to make it easier for going together. I still have all of the smaller greeblies that I printed earlier. Fear not!

SB

The way I oriented this part on the bed made it bend slightly, and some of the details on the bottom side (the side/corner that faced down onto the plate) were mooshed. The details on the top seemed to work out okay though, so it's not a total loss.

UdaRrO0.jpg

5GsbOYV.jpg

So I re-oriented the part to sit straight up (as in my photo above), and it's currently reprinting. We'll see how it goes in about 18 more hours! :D

SB

Pretty awesome detail on top though! I have re printed a lot of parts trying to find good orientations, its not always easy for sure.

skahtul yes, if there is anything I've learned with 3D printing it's that it is a lesson in patience and wasting material :lol:

My 20 hour print finished! And it looks pretty good! There are a few areas that peeled away because they weren't supported properly, but I'll take what I can get at this point!

IMG_5491.jpg

And a detail shot from the bottom:

IMG_5492.jpg

Now I think the next step is to start mating the different parts to the body. Stay tuned for more.

SB

So I keep deciding to reprint parts, but instead of separating the parts out, I am combining them together and THEN printing them as one piece, like I did with the body. So I was working on the engines, and the way that I printed them left their joining surfaces a mess (that's where all of the supports were), so when I put them together, they looked like this:

IMG_5503.jpg

This is after a bunch of filing and sanding. There would have been a lot more sanding in the future to get these two parts to fit properly. So I combined them in MeshMixer and got this:

IMG_5504.jpg

I think the distortion is just from the photo. It looks all bendy here, but it's not that way IRL.

So there we are. I'm going to see if there are any other parts that need to be reprinted, and then go from there.

SB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back