**COMPLETED** Y-Wing 1/48 resin model

Oooh this is great info. I haven't started printing yet but itching to get it going.

If I just position the parts in chitubox/prusa so that they are touching will that work for joining them together? Or do I need to import the files into [insert your favorite CAD program] and do it there? I'm guessing the answer is "depends on the parts". I've only ever split parts up for printing, never joined them together

Oooh this is great info. I haven't started printing yet but itching to get it going.

If I just position the parts in chitubox/prusa so that they are touching will that work for joining them together? Or do I need to import the files into [insert your favorite CAD program] and do it there? I'm guessing the answer is "depends on the parts". I've only ever split parts up for printing, never joined them together
booth will work fine .. if you cant use a CAD program .. just use the chitubox .. most of the parts need just to mirror.. so you have to do it just one time ;)

I imported them into MeshMixer (a free 3d printing app) and there's an option to combine models when more than one are selected at once. But I guess you could do it in ChituBox.

SB

Thanks - I have spent the last couple of days combining parts in tinkercad. Prob not the best platform to do it on but I’m keen to stick to it until I have time to properly learn one of the more advanced programs.

I think I’ve probably reduced the total print time by about 30-40% now.

So I had a go at printing the two head pieces as a single combined piece, and came home from work to this:

IMG_2829-1.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

14 hours down the drain. However, I had never seen a failure like this one before, so I drained the resin vat, and found that there was a tiny pinhole in the FEP! There was cured resin on the surface of the LCD. I was able to gently wear away that resin with some IPA on a tissue, and it appears that there's no damage. Then I replaced my FEP, and restarted the print. Hopefully we'll see a better print in the morning!

Although this got me wondering: Should I be slicing my parts on different places on the build plate, so that the FEP doesn't just get worn out in only one spot? Does that make sense? I just usually center my prints on the build plate without thinking. Maybe I'll try moving them around in the future.

SB

argh that is annoying when a big print fails. Glad you managed to work out the problem though.

I do normally shift parts around on the print bed so they’re not always in the same place, but equally I try to make sure that for each print they’re evenly distributed from the centre. I figure that the plate is attached in the centre and if it is constantly pulling on one side it’s more likely to lose its zero setting. So if I put one piece 20mm to the left side of the plate I’ll also put one 20mm to the right to even it out.

I’ve got my first piece printing now - should be half the chassis in one go. Fingers crossed

Jimw100
I'm sorry to see that. FEP and LCD are consumables and don't last long, I have swapped so many FEP I can't count them anymore ^^

it doesn't matter if you center your print or not ... out of habit (depending on the place of the model) i always print the parts several times

i don't know which printer you use but i'm not so enthusiastic about the grey resin anymore, i think the black is much better now (i used anycubic black and the photon s)

Success! It's a little wavy towards the top, but nothing a little sanding and elbow grease can't handle. I'm really happy with the overall shape and form of this cockpit/head piece. It's such an important part of the Y-Wing look to "get right". I think a lot of model kits in the past have either had weird proportions, or something was just off about them. Sometimes they looked too chunky, sometimes too slim. I'm really digging this version, though.

IMG_2831.jpg

I'm excited to get going on this one!

SB

Last edited:
So what was wrong with eh 2 piece head? Or did you just want to see if you could?

Jedi Dade

It's more just to see if I could. And if I could eliminate the seam line where the top and bottom halves joined, then it was a win-win. So I think I'll go with this one for now.

SB

I’ve now printed the cockpit upper and lower separately, and they both look good except that the lower had started to pull away from the print surface at some point meaning it has a bit of a wave in the side. Given the fine detail I’m wary of having to use filler and sanding it down, so I might have a go at printing it in one piece.

StevenBills, when you printed it did you have it vertical on the print surface, so that the supports were all on the back end of the cockpit? Also would you mind sharing what print settings you used? I'm wondering whether I can increase the layer height from 0.02mm or reduce the exposure time in order to speed up printing, but don't want to end up with visible layer lines. I'm using the ceramic gray water washable resin with an exposure time of 6s.

Last edited:
Jimw100 I used the default ChituBox settings, except I set the resolution to .025. And yes, I stood it vertically and placed the supports manually in PrusaSlicer. Here are some screenshots:

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 7.08.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 7.08.39 AM.png

Hope that helps!

SB

Yes, the resin printer definitely takes most of the pain out of the post-finishing process. I don't envy you with your big X-Wing!

SB

No updates from me on this project, unfortunately. I decided I needed to make some room on my desk, and this SD has been taunting my since last September. Decided it's time to finish it up before I get back to the Y.

IMG_2863.jpg

Not sure I'm using enough clamps :lol:

Yours is looking great though! Have you had any trouble with parts fitting together at all?

SB

That is a lot of clamps!! I think I was super lucky with my Bandai SD, I did not have any of the bowing that other people seemed to have.

Did you build up the light-up version of that?

That is a lot of clamps!! I think I was super lucky with my Bandai SD, I did not have any of the bowing that other people seemed to have.

Did you build up the light-up version of that?

Yeah this was all in an effort to get rid of the dreaded smile. I shaved off all the pegs, ditched the white diffusers, and lined things up in the back and slowly worked my way forward with super glue. This is the standard version that I put my own lighting in. It worked okay, but I'm pretty bummed about the light leakage from around the cake section.

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

Proper photos coming soon, probably.

SB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back