Y oh Y - 1/12 (2x) Studio Scale Y-Wing

t2sides

Master Member
Here's a fun new project, utilizing the wonderful and amazing DaveG Open Source Y wing files for the main body/structure (THANK YOU DaveG!)

It all started when my good friend Ryan (Belleauwood) did a test print of the head on a Saturn Resin printer. It was intended as a proof of concept to just get an idea of just how huge this thing is when upscaled 2x from the Studio Model in 1/24th scale. I quickly asked Ryan if I could keep the print, clean it up and maybe just go for trying to build the entire thing. He gratefully agreed, and the project took off. I went out and got a Creality CR-10S printer to print all the fuselage/core parts, and Ryan just took off printing all the detail parts in Resin for me! Thanks Ryan!!

So this is what it initially looked like:

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

We expected the 'gaps' and imperfections - but hey, that's what makes these projects fun, a bit of 'hands-on' time!

So the putty comes out...

013.JPG

Little bit of primer...

014.JPG

Slap on some paint, add some scratch built guns, and compare it to a Studio Scale casting...

015.JPG

016.JPG

I then decided it would be fun to scratch build (old school, hand built style) a cockpit and all the details behind his seat (Hyperdrive Motivator?)

017.JPG

018.JPG

I then decided this was going to be called - "GOLD JAMMER" - basically, I'm basing the build up on Red Jammer, but as it existed as the full-size set piece. So I painstakingly detailed/painted the head section as close as I could to the full size set, but leveraging details of the Red Jammer studio model.

020.JPG

022.JPG

030.JPG

And mocked up a pilot in there...

024.JPG

020b.JPG

Then, started building the cockpit out of styrene, masking panels...

031b.JPG

032.JPG

Throw in some Fiber optics

035.JPG

Add some details and the classic white/blue squares, and we have a cockpit!

033a.JPG

034a.JPG

037.JPG

041.JPG

I felt like the canopy window openings were a little too big, so with the help of my friend Jim, we resized the window openings smaller to make it feel a bit more compressed and similar to the full scale canopy. (Original canopy in White, new in Grey)

050.JPG

050a.JPG

053.JPG

Next posting will be the body!

Thanks for looking!
-Sean

Next up, I began printing the engine core and fuselage cores on the CR10s

Engine core printing;
110.JPG

Mounting plate - printed solid!! Heavy!
116.JPG

Front fuselage
112.JPG

113.JPG

111.JPG

115.JPG

L'Eggs Eggs!!! (Sanded and Primered - easy)

120.JPG

Some 2x parts printed by Ryan (Thanks to Bjorn for the base file)! These are HUGE!

220a.JPG

This is the initial SatV cone (thanks to some beautiful files from this and SatV Engine shells from Minifig). I later used a revised file with the engine nozzles, but gives a good example of how big this thing is!
220b.JPG

220c.JPG

Next up was getting the armature CNC'd out of aluminum (the 'Tee Support') in 1/4" thick, then did the same with Acrylic, to make the 1/2" thick material to match the printed parts.

240.JPG

And the aluminum 'C' channel to go with it

240a.JPG

Test fit with mounting block

240b.JPG

And the engine cores fit PERFECTLY!!

242c.JPG

242d.JPG

So moving on to assembly, Ryan printed these GORGEOUS SaturnV resin shells that fit BEAUTIFULLY around the PLA printed cores above.
241.JPG

And test fitting the 'nozzles' in the engine

241a.JPG

241b.JPG

The engine 'vanes' with a custom bent wire (in white) - they are going to look amazing when attached to the aluminum T-Channels.

100.JPG

101.JPG

Checkin' out those L'Eggs!

242.JPG

Slapping on some yellow stripes

244.JPG

Comparing to the Studio Scale 1/24 resin kit. Wow... This thing is going to be RIDICULOUSLY Big!

250.JPG

Test fitting some 'greeblies'
271d.JPG

272.JPG

270.JPG

Making a few 'special modifications'

272a.JPG

and let's throw on a bit of primer to see how things are looking

273.JPG

Next update - 3D printed Greeblies

Last edited:
Because this is upscaled so big, I wanted to use as much of the 'original' up-sized kit parts, but plan to add additional details on top of many of those as I go along, finding a nice balance of 'real scale'. To get this process started, I asked Gus from Falcon3DParts.com if he could print me up a bunch, doubling up from his 1/24 Y Wing 'kits' of greeblies. I was so pleased when Gus said yes, and he has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful in helping make this project become a reality by providing me with all these parts. Here's just the first 'wave' of beautifully printed parts he provided. Thank you Gus!!

260a.JPG

261.JPG

262.JPG

263.JPG

264.JPG

So all those parts and a whole 'nother set coming in will get put down on the model soon. In the meantime, it was time to prime this baby...

271.JPG

Then work on the lighting - I'm using these nice remote controlled, battery powered puck lights so I won't have any external wiring to the model (the cockpit will also be on battery).

280.JPG

281.JPG

282.JPG

283.JPG

284.JPG

And this is where we are at today....

300.JPG

L'Eggs Eggs painted and weathered, and the guns on top of canopy done (to match full size set)

273a.JPG

273b.JPG

302.JPG

Bandai R5D4 testing things out!!

301.JPG

Thanks !!
-Sean

Attachments

• 301.JPG
    301.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
So awesome! It's really cool seeing so many recognizable kit parts upscaled. That cockpit is incredible! What are your plans for the engine T-rod struts?

“Holy Crap Batman” this thing is great. Big is beautiful, just like the falcon, the eye keeps getting pulled to a new perspective no matter were one first looks. Love the metal bracing work.

Thanks for the nice feedback!!

JediMichael - it will be around 4 1/2 Feet long
Kokkari - I'm using 1/8" aluminum T channels. I found some that is exactly 1/2" wide at the base, but only 1/4" high, so I laser cut 1/8" by 1/4" acrylic strips that will make it a perfect 1/2x1/2" T channel, and add super strength to ensure no bending!

Here's a brief update.
Cockpit mostly assembled and glued down. Temporarily mounted the head to the body for fit check/alignments. All looking good after I make some small adjustments. I have the lighting in the cockpit self contained in a battery, as are the engines, so no external wiring needed.
I received the rest of the 3D printed 2x greeblies, so just starting to dry fit those and get them prepped for application. Such a fun and huge project!

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

Without Canopy

d.JPG

With Canopy dry fit

e.JPG

f.JPG

g.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back