Xenomorph build help

brent1336

Hey,
New to the forum, and need some advice on a build I am working on. Making an xenomorph that stands about 8 feet tall. Working on a pvc skeleton to insert. I'm using pep files and cardstock to make it. I would like to display it but am puzzled as to how to support the inside of the creature? Can I resin exterior then use expanding foam around the pvc skeleton? Should I cut in half and fiberglass the inside? Any ideas?

Two of the pieces so far... head is put away so cat doesnt destroy it trying to hide inside.

Attachments

• 20200817_182657.jpg
    20200817_182657.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 245
  • 20200817_182617.jpg
    20200817_182617.jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 20200815_210155.jpg
    20200815_210155.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 252
Would slush casting be a viable option for the legs and back spikes?
slushing is weight added to a flimsy paper structure, and will likely distort the model. If you were to spray a few ;ight coats of lacquer first to stiffen and seal the card stock, then you would be able to brush resin into the piece without distortion. Just remember to kep it light and let it cure before the next coat.

Use resin or resin and fiberglass matting

C
Be aware that the moment you use fiberglass matting you will need to judiciously use hazmat handling protocols as the stuff is very dangerous and sharp once the fibers mix with resin. Long sleeves, masks (filtered), and safety goggles, etc. straight resin with cardboard can be a good stiffening material and great stuff foam can expand but has to have room to grow and move and can cause bulging if one is not careful.

Stan Winston school should have some lessons on the matter if you need some class room based teachings.

I've fiberglass many projects before, my concern was the torso and arms, being enclosed and unsure what to do to support the inside of them, as I cant get in there to fiberglass. I think I have decided to resin the exterior to a point where foam can be added inside with a pvc skeleton to connect the limbs. Will update with progress if the weather ever cooperates to get the resin done. Thank you all for your advice.

I found these files in the resource section of this website and then just edited the scale to get to where I wanted.
I tried looking there, but I can't seem t find it...I've only found the file for the head. Do you still have the pepakura file for the body? I really need it.

I tried looking there, but I can't seem t find it...I've only found the file for the head. Do you still have the pepakura file for the body? I really need it.
Does the link not work under the UPDATED Pepakura Files topic? I had to create an account on the file sharing site to get them. I am not sure if I have the files still on the computer or not. PM me to discuss this more please.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back