X-Wing Research: Differences Between the Hero and Pyro Models

I made up a little chart to send the guy with the astromech site to try and show what I've been awkwardly trying to explain in writing. It took a couple of days and false starts to make with Gimp for Mac (I'm pretty weak in the photoshop skills). I'm posting it here to see if anyone notices something I should fix. I included each of the hero and pyro models that had droids (including the 5th hero model mentioned in the Famous Spaceships article). I left off the rough pyros and Y-pyros because they seemed to lack astromechs (although it seems at least one pyro X-Wing had a primered and glued R2 from the pic of that part). To the left I included the astromech the model seemed to end up with by the end of filming, and put the images of other astromech models that have shown up in pictures (Red Leader being the leader in most astromechs). To the right of the model is the full size droid prop where available (sorry about R2-D2, I couldn't find a cap of him on the full size X-Wing). I put the black R2 dome with Gold Leader since that is the astromech it sports in the film and today, and put R2-X2 next to Red 10 since that's where the EU places him, which is why I have the question marks on those. The Red 3 pyro pics are long gone from the RPF and after many hours of creative googling have not turned them up on the inter-webs, I had to use the pictures of pictures on a computer screen to represent Red 3 pyro. The arrows I drew in to represent which ship the droid probably started out in and then ended up in. The gray dome R2 on Gold Leader and the shot of Gold 2 with a gray dome R2 is probably the most speculative of these, but I couldn't quite fit a question mark on it. Here's the present state of it:
Droids-Battle-of-Yavin2.jpg

Been wading through this thread--great stuff!

Out of curiosity...has no one assembled some kind of basic chart/list that illustrates and describes the key detail differences and variations between all of the known X-Wing models, for quick and easy reference? That would be helpful to a relative newbie like myself!

So kk1 and blue 5 havent been here since April may last year... I guess they got what they came for. Or not. Shame they didn't get all those free pix they were after.:lol

Gregatron.... Every possible knowledge about the X-Wing is in the sticky at the top of the page. Perhaps not collated together but it's all in there.

Go back to the Studio Scale Models page listing all the threads, and you'll see listed at the top of the threads the word "Stuck" before the titles in the top 4 threads.

I've been thinking that this is RED 2. Simply because there are the Hanomag parts in the wings recesses.
construction03.jpg

If these wings are RED 2's, this has to be the bottom side, but the sealab part on the lower right is not identical.
blue1wing.jpg

Then I thought about the other potential hero X-Wing. Since RED 3 and RED 5 have 8Rad parts in the wing recess, the wings in that picture might be RED 1.
red1wing.jpg

Red 2 was Blue 1, and was not plumbed for motorization... so not Red 2. Could be Red 1! Nice!

I have talked to Dave Jones about the nails/rubber bands we see in these types of pics. They had a lot of troubleshooting with smooth actuation of the wings opening/closing... so it's definitely later in the timeline than Red 2.

The Sealab part looks the same to me.
hatch.jpg

And yes, that wouldn't be Blue 1. Blue 1 doesn't have surgical tubes in this picture.
blue1.jpg

Not sure exactly where to put this question, but this comparison thread seems as good a place as any. The recent EA/DICE Battlefront game boasted that they took extensive reference from Lucasfilm's archive, visiting the Ranch to take measurements, photos and 3D scanning. This information is sometimes directly used in the game. for example, the loading screen floating Stormtrooper helment is clearly a 3D scanned mesh as it is very asymmetrical and a triangle mesh soup - classic signs of a scan of a real prop.

With that in mind, what do you guys think of the X-Wing that was made for the game? Can you identify the source at all, hero, pyro, other? It's likely it's a combination of sources, but of course could just be a Revell or FM - though it doesn't appear they took this route with other models (re. the stormtrooper helmet for example). Certainly the astromech is not from the original models - though the R2 is most definitely based on an original scan.
I'm thinking it and the other models from the game may help with 3D printed parts.

BF_persp.JPGBF_top.JPGBF_side.JPGBF_back.JPGBF_front.JPG

I cannot tell from the x wing since its not a model I know that well, but I took a look at the Tie Bomber, and I can tell you its far from being accurate. It got small details that you would only see examining kitbashing parts, but its off in some areas. Also, its not high res enough to get everything right.Capture d’écran 2016-10-14 à 15.50.26.pngView attachment t bomber-2.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back