X-wing pilot Log (pic heavy)

burn

Hi Guys. I'm preparing to joining Rebel Legion (Uk Base) and began my work on X-wing pilot (generic). Some of the rpf members are there as well so they saw my thread. Everyone else, please welcome to comment on my work and hope you will find it entertaining :).
As im quite far in progress, I will show you all the pictures from the beginning :)
There are some pictures of what i got when i started:
It was October 2011 :
CopyofIMG_0106.jpg

CopyofIMG_0107.jpg

CopyofIMG_0109.jpg

CopyofIMG_0110.jpg

CopyofIMG_0111.jpg

CopyofIMG_0112.jpg

CopyofIMG_0114.jpg

CopyofIMG_0115.jpg

CopyofIMG_0116.jpg

CopyofIMG_0117.jpg

The first pieces were from costumebase , so they werent accurate , but that was a good start for the costume. (Ive got a lot of help from the fellow members of RL Elstree Base whom im really greatful :) )

Update from 20 Nov 2011
UPDATE:
got my vest (made screen accurate) , harness+belt(with mini flares), boots (decided to change them in the future for calf lenght)

R0014065Medium.jpg

R0014066Medium.jpg

R0014067Medium.jpg

Update from 14 Dec 2011
Received helmet + flares with holder.
IMG_6982Medium.jpg

IMG_6977Medium.jpg

IMG_6979Medium.jpg

IMG_6981Medium.jpg

IMG_6983Medium.jpg

IMG_6980Medium.jpg

Update from 12 Feb 2012

And now finished helmet.Did weathering and sealing today:
7d03056djw1dpzu9uh8mlg.gif

And couple of shoots
126a66d7.jpg

977cc1a7.jpg

a3e1b7b1.jpg

83bebf9e.jpg

Update on Painting: i managed to find "sliced onion" decals online , and printed them on water-slide decal paper, then applied to helmet, couple more pics:
19c49354.jpg

84c61ffb.jpg

84c75903.jpg

b43a3757.jpg

Update from 26 Feb 2012
Got my gauntlets, and also filled the helmet with a foam. I was thinking of going for a hard hat liners but in the end i went for soft option with foam as It suits my head better (thanks to Chantal and Alan for tips :) )
542455ca.jpg

a9f5639f.jpg

56ec75fc.jpg

9738a6e1.jpg

8c3f3c45.jpg

Im exchanging my boots for calf lenght ones whenever they will come to me
DSC00826.jpg

Code cylinders arrived from States
7d070e92.jpg

Ive got those things so far.
Ive ordered resin blaster dl44 (esb version), also getting my vest and flightsuit adjusted a little bit.Chestbox will be changed as well for a better one. Holster for blaster need to be made , so still few things to go .....
of course i need to start to think about my own Xwing hehehe, but thats after some time :)))))))

Hope you like it so far.
C&C welcome :)))
Over and out
Burn (pete)

Okay, here are my suggestions.

Shorten the shoulder straps on the vest. It hangs way too low. It needs to ride high.

And you still have that costumebase chest box. Yuck. There are far better ones available on the RL boards. It will probably get approved but if you stand next to someone else with a better one......

Other than that, I don't really see anything else that needs improvement, and looking good.

Here are a couple of reference pics to see what I'm saying:
xwsuit.jpg

xwladder.jpg

Ignore that tan belt in the first pics, though. Wrong.

This looks a bit weird. The vest should be quite high up on the body, covering the lungs. The back edge should be high in the neck. I think that you should shorten the straps. While you do, you could take the opportunity to replace them with white 2" wide fishbone webbing.

BTW, do you have a buckle for the chest box strap? It is a common type that you should be able to find relatively easily. I got mine in the first leather store I checked -- it was stained black, but I just polished it. :)
The type of webbing on your existing chest box looks quite accurate but the hose does not look right. A washing machine hose from the hardware store are usually better.

When you get a new chest box, let me suggest that you use use one continuous strap that goes both over your head and around your back and is attached to the box with loops. That way, you could adjust the height of the box on your chest without there being too much webbing behind the box. Here is a picture of the back of my home-made box (with inaccurate webbing...):
chestbox04-inside.jpg

Okay, here are my suggestions.

Shorten the shoulder straps on the vest. It hangs way too low. It needs to ride high.

And you still have that costumebase chest box. Yuck. There are far better ones available on the RL boards. It will probably get approved but if you stand next to someone else with a better one......

Other than that, I don't really see anything else that needs improvement, and looking good.

Here are a couple of reference pics to see what I'm saying:
xwsuit.jpg

xwladder.jpg

Ignore that tan belt in the first pics, though. Wrong.

As i mentioned , Vest and chestbox are to be redone. I will use completely different chestbox (spare one of one of the members of RL, but i'm planning to get vacumformed one , which looks exactly like the one on the pic u posted.Vest straps are being shortened so it will be ok.

This looks a bit weird. The vest should be quite high up on the body, covering the lungs. The back edge should be high in the neck. I think that you should shorten the straps. While you do, you could take the opportunity to replace them with white 2" wide fishbone webbing.

BTW, do you have a buckle for the chest box strap? It is a common type that you should be able to find relatively easily. I got mine in the first leather store I checked -- it was stained black, but I just polished it. :)
The type of webbing on your existing chest box looks quite accurate but the hose does not look right. A washing machine hose from the hardware store are usually better.

When you get a new chest box, let me suggest that you use use one continuous strap that goes both over your head and around your back and is attached to the box with loops. That way, you could adjust the height of the box on your chest without there being too much webbing behind the box. Here is a picture of the back of my home-made box (with inaccurate webbing...):
chestbox04-inside.jpg

Yes yes, the vest and chestbox will be done as i stated above. Other than that im very happy of how it came out :)))).

(ps. Im also in progress of doing my TM ANH Stunt Stormtrooper + Tie-Pilot in Reserve (RP). ) Mistake was to start too many costumes ...but im getting there :)..heh

Lookin pretty kickass if you ask me.

I love the leather helmet underneath the hard one. That rocks.

Awesome job all around.

Update:
Almost there.....almost there....
Some new photos:

R0014185.jpg

IMG_8761.jpg

IMG_8762.jpg

IMG_8763.jpg

IMG_8764.jpg

IMG_8765.jpg

IMG_8766.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

To the stars!!!
IMG_8788.jpg

Hope to be cleared soon!!!
IMG_8789.jpg

R0014189.jpg

Let me know what u think guys :)

Last edited:
The project is finally closed. Ive sent my clearance pictures to REBEL LEGION. Now mowing onto the next one :)))

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back