X-Wing: My final year University Project, please take a look!

Lorcan13

X-Wing: My final year University Project, please take a look! all feedback positive or negative very welcome and useful for my write up. It's game ready (see UDK screenshots) at about 33K Tri's, about 19 with 1 Wing instanced.

EDIT:

I'm writing my dissertation as a comparison of traditional model building and 3D. If there's anything you can offer on how the 2D modelling can inform 3D, how one is superior to the other, and if they can be reconciled that would be great.

Last edited:
Looks really nice. Though, I don't think you need to use quite so many lens flares for the internals....reminded me immediately of Abrams Star Trek.

King, I think that this falls into the 'models' of 'Props, Costumes, and Models'.

Re: Prop, I'm writing my dissertation as a comparison of 2d Modelling and texturing techniques and 3D.I've seen some 3D on here before, the Studio Scale section seems to have some excellent reference and feedback!

Cheers :D The self illumination value is just a number I can tweak how I like - Not really finalised in that sense, the UDK screenshots arn't final :)

did I miss the prop?

Really? You've been a member for less than a month, contributed all of nothing to the hobby, and you dare to demand a physical item from someone who's actually doing something?

The nerve of some people. Eight posts, and you made my ignore list.

No kidding. This is really beautiful work.

I see some of the shots are titled "Full Throttle." Is that the name of the eventual game? Any plans for this to be "flyable?"

I'd still tone down the glows in the cockpit but I'd be more than happy to play a flight sim with those graphics. :thumbsup

Thanks! It's a little awkward to explain, but I still need to create the shadows for the cockpit that will give the effect of darkness but with glowing lights highlighted like the film, so i'll be working on it :)

I see some of the shots are titled "Full Throttle." Is that the name of the eventual game? Any plans for this to be "flyable?"

Well spotted :D One of the designers in my year is working on a simple UDK trench run game for android/iOS/PC. Not sure how great it'll be, but it will happen.

Last edited:
Thanks! It's a little awkward to explain, but I still need to create the shadows for the cockpit that will give the effect of darkness but with glowing lights highlighted like the film, so i'll be working on it :)

Well spotted :D One of the designers in my year is working on a simple UDK trench run game for android/iOS/PC. Not sure how great it'll be, but it will happen.

And will we get to give it a shot? Can't have too many X-wings

iOS? It's already looking better than the Trench Run game commerically available. Something like Bruneras' old school arcade/sim games...that would be wicked cool. And of course, for all of these great comments, the RPF gets first crack at testing, right? :)

Haha. I've no idea about the legality of Star Wars license distrubution so it certainly would be commercial. The unity web browser game is really great for what it is though (dodging Vader's lock on is great.)

I'll certainly post it here if it gets made in a web browser form :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back