X-Wing Insignia Rattle Can Paint Match

Britcinescribe

Hey, all

Putting together some X-Wings. Can anyone tell me which of the Tamiya rattle cans would be the closest match to the usual red stripe livery? Cheers!

Well. I’ll take my one reply (c’mon, guys!) and run with it. Thanks, Taz.

My base was Tamiya Grey. I realise now I should have gone black. I was going to brush paint the red (it’s the 144 scale Bandai), but thought I may as well mask. It’s a test model in prep for something more ambitious.

I read up lots about this and basically gave up, lots of interesting but conflicting info about what's best....For my X Wing and MF I painted straight white, black wash and the red as below, maybe not the most accurate, but works for me....

IMG_4415.JPGIMG_4417.JPGa2.pngIMG_1329.JPG

Last edited:
Which model is that? That looks like a beast! I have to say, the TS18 looks great on your scale (I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference), I just wonder if the “metallic’ would be obvious at 1/144 scale?

I took Taz’ advice and got the Mica Red. I noticed when ordering there’s another Mica Ferrari Red. Is that a gloss? I wondered how that would look when dampened down with the Matt topcoat.

Courier says delivery is tomorrow afternoon, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it comes out on this model. I’ve now forgotten how many X-Wings I have unmade in my stash. I need to go look! I need three for personal projects, but the one I’m making here is just to get me acquainted with the paint panels and will find its way into a 13 year old’s room instantly.

What did you use for your blue cockpit frame?

Which model is that? That looks like a beast! I have to say, the TS18 looks great on your scale (I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference), I just wonder if the “metallic’ would be obvious at 1/144 scale?

It's the Hasbro Hero that I converted to open wings, build is in my sig below. I think the TS18 red would work on any scale, but it's a very personal thing.

What did you use for your blue cockpit frame?

I just eye matched it off some photos from ANH, like all the colours, lots of different opinions about what's right. Good luck with your colour choice!

Anxious to see where you go with insignia color. Main reason I have stuck with waterslides on x-wings is fear of messing the colors up.
Good luck !!

That can of Mica Red has been sitting there mocking me for weeks, so I figured I’d have to do something about it.

I'd given a 14 year old Star Wars a Bandai vehicle X-Wing in the hopes he might actually do something that wasn't a video game. He enjoyed putting it together, but gave up in disgust at the awful stickers that came with it (I can hardly blame him.I offered to paint this up, so put aside the Falcon build I've been doing here. I have a couple of these X-wings in a stash, and figured that painting it up would be a good way of figuring out the model's limitations.

The last time I made an X-wing was the summer of 1978 (the MPC one), but it was weird how painting the Artoo came back to me like it was yesterday. This is only the 4th kit I've made in 25 years (counting the Falcon), and the first time I've used acrylic paints. (The stripes were masked and painted...need to practice that I think, but it was tough at this scale.). There's a lot about this I don't like, but I'm planning an intensive build for the next version of this model, so for a rough and ready (I left the 14 year old's rough edges as an education to him!) it was good practice.
C5DCA522-14AA-49E0-BEF0-ABCB92DFD150.jpeg6217B654-F7CE-4FE0-89A8-28C233E7D2BE.jpeg60D4DA05-F58A-41A4-B4BF-9DFBA31BAB02.jpeg27C6F06A-8A1F-4801-B59D-8ADB4D423075.jpegB492E719-0B92-45D4-918A-50988B7DCFA1.jpegB1D2600B-2E17-4B0F-9A40-689A79C2A5EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks! The colour has a bit of a metallic hue that the Mr Hobby topcoat flattened down. I think I should have done thinner coats, but several of them.

It may not be "perfect" - but you're being way too hard on yourself... It looks perfectly acceptable... especially for the little 1/72 kits :)

I may have to steal that Mica red though - it is a pretty good match.

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back